Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LG GSA 4167B and Roxio 8 [help]

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

LG GSA 4167B and Roxio 8 [help]

Postby sosodef on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:14 am

Dear all,

I did my first burn with LG GSA 4167B with Roxio 8 on to a 16x DVD+R (Memorex) disc producing a data disc containing some avi files. But they read ok on my LG GSA 4167B but not on my other computers combi drive (dvd rom reader only) or my dvd player (which can read avi files - although not play them well). I have updated the firmware to DL12 before I did the burn.

(I have a 800MHz AMD duron and a Elitegroup mainboard k7VZA).

All I wanted was a simple data DVD+R disc that can be read in other computers not necessarily the dvd home player.

Does anyone know what i might have done wrong?

Thanks in advance.
sosodef
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:46 am

Hello!

What´s the type of your xombo-drive, is it very old? Newer drives should not have any problems with a DVD+R. Do you tried a DVD-R?
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:41 pm

Yeah, I'd agree, sounds like a media problem. Did you tell Roxio to close the disc when you were done? (finalize it) Some drives don't like unfinalized DVDs.

Try burning slower. Try like 4x and work back up from there. If that doesn't work, get a better brand (Memorex is known to be fairly crap) -- look for Verbatim or Sony. If you can find some labelled Made in Japan, all the better.

If THAT doesn't work (or when you're out getting better media) try DVD-R media instead of DVD+R.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:53 pm

Hello!

Have you tried other software, like Nero? www.nero.com
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

lg gsa 4167b and roxio

Postby sosodef on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:27 am

I think you guys are right:

well i found out that the combi drive is an old dvd-rom and that it is most
likely that old drives won't read the dvd+r format....hence the minus sign in dvd-rom right?

I think since the combi drive is old and that dvd-r came out before dvd+r thats why the combi drive cant read the disc. Also i tried a dvd-r in the combi drive burnt by a friend which read ok.

i burnt at 4x since i dont think my comp could hack the 16x burn which requires a 21mb/sec transfer rate! :o

Will also experiment with other media also like Verbatim, infiniti and TDK.

As for the dvd player not sure why it didnt work. Dvd booklet says disc
should be iso 9660 and video format. Normally if it cant play it it still can 'see' whats on the disc.

i did make sure the disc was closed via the advanced options. I did use the creator classic instead of the recordnow program aswell.

Guess what? DL13 the newest firmware came out 2day, just two afters after i installed DL12....boo hoo :(

thanks for your help
sosodef
Buffer Underrun

Re: lg gsa 4167b and roxio

Postby Justin42 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:38 pm

sosodef wrote:I think you guys are right:

well i found out that the combi drive is an old dvd-rom and that it is most
likely that old drives won't read the dvd+r format....hence the minus sign in dvd-rom right?

Actually, no. "DVD-ROM" was just a name, the - was a separator, and predates the "+" issue. The "+" format came out because a group of hardware makers didn't want to pay royalties to the DVD Forum for recordable DVD hardware (the group that sets the DVD standards) so they came up with their own format. They used "+" for whatever reason (probably marketing-- "+" implies something added, positive, etc) and DVD+RW was formed. (DVD+R actually came later) There is no such thing as a "DVD+ROM".

Basically, at the time the "DVD-ROM", "DVD-R", etc names were created, there WAS no "+" format. The - was inconsequential.

(a similar myth I've read is there was a CD+R format, along with the CD-R format we all know, which is totally untrue)

As for your problem, it sounds like you're on the right track. Try some DVD-R media and see what happens. Some players can be very picky what they like, and usually if a drive is picky, it'll read DVD-R but not DVD+R.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby sosodef on Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:15 pm

Yeah the combi drive was a pioneer drive aswell probably about 4 years old
or so can't be sure. Ths disc just span in the drive.

Apparently setting the booktype can help reading abilities in other drives so gonna check that out. Nero can set booktype but roxio can't but i really dont wont nero and roxio both on my machine. :-?

cheers
sosodef
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers