Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Lite-On SOHW 1633S croaked in the middle of writing

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Lite-On SOHW 1633S croaked in the middle of writing

Postby johnsees on Fri May 26, 2006 1:40 am

I was doing a backup to DVD-R, like I've been doing for a year or so, to a disk that was partially full. It finished the write portion just fine, but when it got to the test (reading back the files that had been written) it said about 25% of the files were bad. Well, stuff happens, right? So I tried it again, (new disk) and this time, it wrote all the files, but when it got to writing the lead-out, it stalled. Tried it again, new DVD, and it didn't even recognize the disk.

Tried to copy some files (any files) to a CDRW, and it didn't recognize that there was a disk in the drive. (Tried 3 different CDs.) It can play CDs and DVD movies just fine, audio and video.

Powered the computer off and on, checked cables, no help. Anybody got any ideas? Is there a new DVD drive in my future? This thing's only 14 months old!

Thanks a lot.
johnsees
Buffer Underrun

Postby vinnie97 on Sat May 27, 2006 7:00 am

I had a Lite-On CDRW (rebadged TDK) that died within a year's time...I was not too happy. Fortunately, my followup Lite-On (genuine) drive with a manufacturer date of July 2003 is still kicking. Their quality control has been known to be inconsistent. I would recommend getting yourself one of the cheap NECs (~$30) if possible.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby MacClipper on Sat May 27, 2006 10:26 am

if it is out of wty, I would open up the drive and grease the mechanicals inside.

Anyway, if it is of any comfort, the 1633S seems to be afflicted by a relatively short life span judging from forum postings, mine bit the dust a while back too - 1st the CD PUH died followed by the DVD PUH.
MacClipper
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers