Home News Reviews Forums Shop

600 lbs. woman survives getting thrown through sunroof

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

600 lbs. woman survives getting thrown through sunroof

Postby Ian on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:36 am

This must have been one big ass sunroof. :D

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/a ... =34208&s=d

A woman is in stable condition after being ejected through the sunroof of her SUV during an accident.

Thirty-seven-year-old Ruth Matthews told paramedics that another vehicle cut her off in traffic, and she took evasive action to avoid a crash. Her Isuzu Amigo rolled over and she was thrown through the sunroof and onto the roadway. Investigators say she was not wearing her seatbelt.

Paramedics initially tried to fly Matthews to Tampa General Hospital, but her weight, estimated at 600 pounds, made it impossible. Emergency crews were able to transport her to St. Joseph’s Hospital, where she is listed in stable condition.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:14 pm

Buzz out on the street is that Hox sent her flowers. :P
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Alektron on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:18 pm

HAHAHAHA

They tried to take her via helicopter, but it couldn't lift off!! It's like the combined weight of 4 or 5 average women. :lol:

Maybe the freaking ISUZU had an usually higher center-of-gravity because of the lardass in the driver's seat.
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby smartin4 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:10 pm

Quote from the story:

Investigators say she was not wearing her seatbelt.

Do seatbelts really go out far enough for her to have been able to wear it?

:o
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:41 pm

I doubt they go that big. I used to work for a guy that was a good 350lbs and he couldn't fit a seatbelt around himself.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Spazmogen on Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:30 pm

last time I checked airlines have seat belt extensions for huge people.

I know this, because they usually take up about 1/2 of my seat as well as their own AND the seat on the other side.

Its a good cause to take a train.

Ever notice how airlines NEVER place a obese person on the isle seats? Air crews can't get the beverage cart up the isle. So it costs the airline money.

So, they sandwich them in a middle row seat and piss off 2 customers.
By the time you find out its about to happen, its too late. You're trapped next to a fat & sweaty person for the next few hours. :evil:

Sorry for the picture:
Attachments
obese.jpg
obese.jpg (39.64 KiB) Viewed 6542 times
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby Alektron on Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:19 am

The things that bug me on airplanes:

1. Airplane seat neighbors who hog the armrest or push their hairy arms into mine.

2. Malodorous neighbors. Is it too much to ask to take a bath once a day, or use a stick of deoderant?

3. Airplane seats SUCK, especially the older ones. There's absolutely no lumbar support. I always try to put those little blue pillows behind my back, and it halfway works.

4. Another thing that ticks me off is when it's time to get off the airplane, and those idiots awkwardly try to grab their overhead baggage, delaying all the other people. There should be a rule that says that people WITHOUT overhead baggage get off first, or if you do, grab the bag quickly! [note: During trips, I've drawn the conclusion that many asian passengers are of the mindset that it's everyone for himself, rather than the FILO order that most are used to.]

I always appreciate the work of the pilots when we land.
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:35 am

I always seem to end up by some joker with a lot of and/or very huge carry on bags. I don't know how they get all that stuff on the plane but I end up having to put my stuff two rows in front or behind me.

It drives me nuts too when the guy in front of me puts his seat back so far he's nearly in my lap. To prevent this, I typically jam my knee into the back of the seat so that it doesn't move.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby LoneWolf on Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:59 am

Ian wrote:I always seem to end up by some joker with a lot of and/or very huge carry on bags. I don't know how they get all that stuff on the plane but I end up having to put my stuff two rows in front or behind me.

It drives me nuts too when the guy in front of me puts his seat back so far he's nearly in my lap. To prevent this, I typically jam my knee into the back of the seat so that it doesn't move.

On the way back from our honeymoon, I had the second happen. I'm 6'4", and need the legroom. I finally peered around the seat and said politely to the guy "I'm sorry sir, but I'm 6'4", and my knees don't retract any further". His wife and daughter had a gentle laugh...and then (without their knowledge) the bastard jammed his seat back again for the rest of the flight.

I get emergency-exit seats whenever I can to avoid this kind of crap.

P.S. On the original topic, doesn't anyone think there's like a point when people should realize they need to do something about their weight and exert some control over their lives?? I'm not saying this to people who are "just a little overweight", but for someone who is truly obese (defined as 20% or more over their body-mass index). At 600lbs, even just the slightest bit of eating less (or even just cutting foods high in empty calories) combined with moderate exercise (i.e., walking around the block once or twice every day) could make a big difference. I admit I've never weighed more than 205, but I think the warning signs should be obvious to anyone, and that perhaps their desire to live a longer life without risk from heart disease would kick in.

I'm surprised the woman actually fit through the sunroof of her SUV without getting peeled like a banana.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:53 am

I was at Home Depot the other day and saw a very obese woman in one of those Rascal chairs that old people have. To top it off, she had one of those helper dogs. Watching her, she obviously wasn't blind or handicapped.. just really fat. I kept thinking to myself, if she'd just get up and walk and/or not rely on the dog, she'd probably lose some weight.

As someone who loves beer and food, I know how hard it is to lose and keep off weight. But shit.. if I got that bad, I'd try to do something so I wouldn't keel over from a heart attack.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:29 pm

Spazmogen wrote:last time I checked airlines have seat belt extensions for huge people.

I know this, because they usually take up about 1/2 of my seat as well as their own AND the seat on the other side.

Its a good cause to take a train.

Ever notice how airlines NEVER place a obese person on the isle seats? Air crews can't get the beverage cart up the isle. So it costs the airline money.

So, they sandwich them in a middle row seat and piss off 2 customers.
By the time you find out its about to happen, its too late. You're trapped next to a fat & sweaty person for the next few hours. :evil:

Sorry for the picture:

I had trouble with this picture for a while, but now I know what it is.
The subject has had a 300# of fat removed from liposuction and is now awaiting the next step where they will do a skin reduction to get rid of 20 square feet of skin.

Then she'll be ready for MONTE! :lol:
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Alektron on Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:37 pm

When I see hugely obese people, I always wonder how the #*$& they got so fat! I bet the dog was wondering if it could have a human master instead of the silly elephant in the Rascal chair.

Don't get me wrong, I am against an ultra-prohibitive police-state, but there could be a nice benefit if we had a zealous rule for fat people. If you are a male and weigh more than 300lbs or a woman and weigh more than 200lbs (unless an NFL linebacker or a Sumo wrestler), you automatically must go on a special weight reduction program. It consists of a free trip to a remote desert island for 30 days. :) You never see fat people in regions where food is scarce. Did they honestly ever try any kind of diet?

Fat people aren't just hurting themselves. The higher amount of health consequences increases the total medical costs for all the people in American and Canadian health care systems. Besides, there are the immediate reasons that we were discussing about the fat people taking up multiple seats, elevator space, causing a solar eclipse, causing local tremors on the floor, etc.

Did you ever see an obese person climb a flight of stairs? It's a rare event for them, and comparable to a professional who climbs Mount Everest. Unless you want your skeleton to be crunched under a colossal falling weight, do not stand or climb behind him when he's on the stairs.
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:58 pm

Besides, there are the immediate reasons that we were discussing about the fat people taking up multiple seats,.....

Some airlines do try to charge them double, or buy two seats.
And then they scream discrimination like hell.

Slim
BMI: 20
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:59 pm

Alektron wrote:Fat people aren't just hurting themselves. The higher amount of health consequences increases the total medical costs for all the people in American and Canadian health care systems. Besides, there are the immediate reasons that we were discussing about the fat people taking up multiple seats, elevator space, causing a solar eclipse, causing local tremors on the floor, etc.

Did you ever see an obese person climb a flight of stairs? It's a rare event for them, and comparable to a professional who climbs Mount Everest. Unless you want your skeleton to be crunched under a colossal falling weight, do not stand or climb behind him when he's on the stairs.

i find that this discussion has become obscene vulgar and rude.

let's see you go on a diet, bigmouth, see how easy it is, for fat people it's even harder.

did it ever occur to any of you that some people are fat because of medical problems? probably not. let's just mock all of them.

the bit about how fat people increase the medical costs is ludicrous. if you're thinking about that, consider the consequences of medical costs caused by tobacco, alcohol, stupid and dangerous drivers who cause road accidents. why not ship all of these people to the desert island too ?

i'd say that the consequences of medical costs cause by fat people are equalled by the consequences of medical costs due to the hospitalization of people who rudely mock other people on the web and consequenly get Unibombed.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby MediumRare on Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:18 pm

Funny that this topic should come up here now. An item in our local (German) paper a couple of days ago caught my eye and I dug up an english language link. This guy probably makes that lady look like Twiggy (in her classic days). But he's aleady lost 200 lb. and is working on the next 770. :o I hope he makes it- at least to the point where he feels well in his skin.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:15 pm

OK, I've seen that article before.

What is consistent between him and all the others that have been featured in similar media stories is that they are all in denial with respect to the source of their predicament.

Note that he says that it's not just the amount of food that he eats.
It's also due to other causes.
Usually, metabolism, or hormones, or this or that or something else.
And that is a total fraud.
It is a matter of nothing else than how much you eat.
It's 1000 Kcal per day and that's it and nothing more.
All the rest is smoke and mirrors.
It is nothing more than another application of the First Law of Thermodynamics.
Your internal metabolism is nothing more than a hydrocarbon fuel combustion machine.
If your car had a rubber gas tank and you only drive 2 gallons worth a day but bought 3 gallons a day, in one year your car would weigh 2,000 pounds more.
It doesn't get any more simple than that.

And, yes, unfortunately they cost us a ton (of money) in medical, at least in the US.
You see, they can't work and if they had the money, which they don't, they cannot buy medical insurance as it is not available to them.
So when they need medical care, which they need much more frequently, it is at taxpayer's (read me) expense.

Outside of that, everything above and in the media is completely accurate.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:15 am

CowboySlim wrote:
Besides, there are the immediate reasons that we were discussing about the fat people taking up multiple seats,.....

Some airlines do try to charge them double, or buy two seats.
And then they scream discrimination like hell.

Slim
BMI: 20

I'd like to see airlines charge people according to weight.

You enter your weight when you buy your ticket (either online or in person). They weigh you again when you get your boarding pass. If there's any big difference, you're charged accrodingly. Why should I pay as much as a 600lbs person (for my kids) when they're 1/12 of the fat persons' weight? It would be kind of what postage rates used to be like: it cost more depending where in the country the letter was going. There was no flat rate. It changed in the 1800's. But with computers helping out, why not bring it back.

You would truely pay for only what you use:
Its not discrimination, its equal. It simply costs more to haul a 600lbs person about that it does a 200lbs person.

If people don't like it, don't fly. Take the train or ship. And drop some weight, so you can fly cheaper.

It would probably drive a few people into a depression that only a case of beer and a few bags of chips could cure.

edit: @ 250lbs and 6'2" tall, I find it hard to fit into an airplane seat. Even @210lbs I found it hard. I could stand to lose 40lbs.
Last edited by Spazmogen on Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:50 pm

Roger that, Spaz!

Or they could buy the back row bench on the Greyhound.

And the other deal with the airplane is that they can't fit in the lavatory with the door closed.

So they have to have the flight attendant stop bringing you your next beer while they stand in front of the door holding up a blanket.
And if the flight attendant won't do that and they have to crap anyway, which is about 6 times a day, they sue the airline for privacy violation.
So they outta' be charged extra for that like valet parking, like a special fee for the attendant that has to deal with that.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden