Home News Reviews Forums Shop

high definition TV

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Do you have a high definition tv

yes
36%
no
55%
I will buy one by Christmas
9%

Total votes : 22

high definition TV

Postby MonteLDS on Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:29 am

so who has a high definition tv? I have a projector that has high definition composite ports.

having a new high definition video camera is making me consider buying one also waiting for Blu-Ray prices to drop like my past relationships

LOL
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:44 am

I'm planning on buying one by Christmas... it's time for a new TV anyways, I'm just waiting for prices to become a little more reasonable. Nothing crazy, just a 27"-32" with HDMI input.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:58 pm

I watch too much TV as it is anyway. I'll think about HDTV if and when our TV dies- it's ca. 15 years old but still in excellent shape. HDTV programming is rather rare in Europe at present- even with pay TV (which I don't want)- and I don't care about movies.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:08 pm

I hardly watch TV, so I don't need it. Not to mention I wouldn't spend so much money on it, digital cable service, or an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player (although I can claim 10% off any HD-DVD or BD movies for the next year...)
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby LoneWolf on Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:10 pm

I keep looking into HDTV's, but I'll probably be too picky to find what I want/need.

Features I want:

Flatscreen CRT , between 30-32" (want to keep the cost down, so no LCD, plasma, etc.)
720p minimum(I don't really need higher for a 32")
VGA input (unlikely in my price range but I could hook up my ReplayTV that way or an HTPC)
Component video input (probably in my price range)
HDMI input (for future use, though I have nothing now)
At least two full sets of composite/S-Video inputs

I don't need PIP, though it might be nice on occasion. A semi-universal remote would be nice, though if I was really picky I'd save up for a Logitech Harmony.

What's really kept me waiting the longest is the DRM, and the digital tuner debacle. If I buy a TV, I plan on having it the next decade; I don't want to buy something only to have it 1-2 years and someone changes everything on me. My current Sharp 25" is a good TV, but I'd love to have a fully flat screen and be able to properly view wide-format DVD's.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby MonsterMan on Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:53 pm

I don't even have a TV.

I wait for everything to come out on DVD and watch it on my (very nice) computer...commerical free.

For the shows "I just can't miss"...well, there's always usenet :wink:
BenQ 1655, BenQ 1620, LG 4167, Plex PX-716SA, Samsung SH-S162L, SH-S182M, Pioneer 111D, Lite-On SHM-165H6S and 1.9TB of HDDs to feed 'em and an X2/4800 to crunch for 'em.
MonsterMan
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:33 pm

MonsterMan wrote:I don't even have a TV.

I wait for everything to come out on DVD and watch it on my (very nice) computer...commerical free.

For the shows "I just can't miss"...well, there's always usenet :wink:

I'm mostly doing that myself. Pretty much all the TV I watch is now on DVD, and very VERY rarely downloaded, and nearly never from direct cable feed.

I just don't have the kind of lifestyle that can be wrapped around a TV time slot.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Re: high definition TV

Postby hoxlund on Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:45 pm

MonteLDS wrote:so who has a high definition tv? I have a projector that has high definition composite ports.

having a new high definition video camera is making me consider buying one also waiting for Blu-Ray prices to drop like my past relationships

LOL

composite can't support hdtv signal, component can, not composite
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby stix on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:20 am

I have a Sony Trinitron 20 inch Stereo Color TV/Video Monitor, manufactured October 1991. Still works great. It's hooked up to my stereo with surround sound, which sounds great. No need to replace it as long as it still works. If it ever quits, I'll see what's out there. No need for HDTV now, especially when HDTV units and the cable service cost too much. There aren't more than a few TV programs I'm interested in anyway. Movies are cool, especially on VHS or DVD. Got a DVD player only about a year and a half ago. The only down side to not having cable is I can't watch The Daily Show With Jon Stewart (the only News program worth watching), unless I'm at a friend's house.
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Postby Alektron on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:59 pm

I'm surprised to be one of the few board members who have HDTV. I bought my Mitsubishi 55" (139cm) wide HDTV back in 2002, and have loved it since. It's rear projection, so it's quite big, but at that time, flat screen technology was extremely expensive for me. I think that HDMI wasn't standard back then, but it has component cable, so I use that for both my DVD player and the Comcast (cable). The widescreen DVD movies look great in 480p, so my wife and I rarely go out to the movie theater anymore. We love movies. With the 5.1 surround sound in our living room, I have no regrets. I could watch movies on my pc, but it makes no sense for two people to huddle around the monitor and get tired eyes. I hate Comcast for the uncompetitive cost and big, power hungry set-top box, but I can't get the satellite service. For $5 extra, I get about 10 channels in HD, and I have the component output plugged into the 1080i input on the TV. I watched FIFA worldcup games on ESPN or ABC, and it looked TERRIFIC; so much better than SD! I do try to catch The Jon Stewart show when I remember to--good show even though not in HD. The Fox TV series 24 comes in HD, and that looks great too. Also, there's a Discovery HD channel that is mind-blowing in its beauty. I would pay the $5 even if I only got that single channel.

I watch too much TV also, but even if I'm cutting back, I'll continue to watch something. My goal should be cut down to 10 hours or less per week for TV, and 2-3 movies per week on DVD. Whenever the TV dies or whatever, I'd probably get a flatscreen (with HDMI and 1080p) of some indeterminate technology. Gotta have my movies lookin' good. :)
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:44 pm

LoneWolf wrote:
Flatscreen CRT , between 30-32" (want to keep the cost down, so no LCD, plasma, etc.)
720p minimum(I don't really need higher for a 32")

You can get most of your wants with a good 16x9 CRT set but not all of them and you'll need to get a fairly top end set to get MOST of your wants/needs.
I have a Toshiba 34hfx84 34 inch wide set that I'm pretty happy with. It does 1080p native and upconverts everything to that level except for 480 wich it also can do at 540p I think it is.
Most of the LCD etc sets dont do true 1080 I think though they can display it at 720 or whatever their native is.
A Sony 960 might be a good choice as the latest Toshiba's are now outsourced to Orion and just don't seem to be as well made etc. The Sony is pretty much discontinued but some are probably still floating around. You can also look at some of the Samsung 30 inch and smaller CRT sets for pretty cheap prices.
I recomend getting one with a full HDtuner built in if your not going with the cable systems box as they can be 100 to 250 or more extra.
I like CRT sets for the oustanding black level and detail they can provide, the size and weight are the main draw backs.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:32 am

I have a 52" rear projection TV with HDMI support hooked to a Dish Network HD receiver. In all honesty though I am about to drop the HD package on my satellite. It doesnt seem to be worth it to me. very little stuff that I actually like to watch is in HD. I pay almost $100 a month for satellite. I got lucky on getting my TV. My dad bought it last year and he decided that he wanted a plasma TV a few months ago and sold me his old TV cheap.($300)
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:39 pm

HD not worth it?! HD is sooooooo worth it! Well, I can't speak on behalf of Dish Network's HD lineup, but it costs about 5 or 6 bucks for Time Warner's basic HD lineup, and there's usually decent programming on. Even if it's not a show you would normally watch, you gotta watch it simply for the fact that it's sooooooo pretty. =P~ Spending a little more will get additional HD channels, including sports ones. Whatever sport you like, it looks 100 times better in HD! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh, as for my equipment, I am using my roommate's Sony CRT Rear Projection HDTV. Soon, he will be upgrading to a Toshiba DLP Rear Projection HDTV. Both are 56 inches.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:05 pm

i didnt say it didnt look good just not enough programming still considering how many people have hdtvs now.720p out of the xbox looks great on games as well. Just want more stuff to be in HD.
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:20 am

I hear ya. :) One day...all the good programming will be in HD! I fear we have a long way to go though. :(
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:23 pm

TheWizard wrote:I hear ya. :) One day...all the good programming will be in HD! I fear we have a long way to go though. :(

Not so much... it's a requirement starting in 2008 in the USA and I believe Canada also.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Morpheus on Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:33 pm

For the US, in 2006, all television stations must broadcast a digital OTA station along with their original analog OTA station. Then on February 17(?), 2009 all the analog OTA stations will cease, leaving only the digital OTA stations. Also stations 53-69 will be lost as those frequencies will be reassigned. Current 53-69 stations will be reassign to another station. I don't know what Canada is doing. I have heard on some forums that Canada is behind schedule (compared to the US). Also I have heard that for 2006 or 2007 all televison sets 13" and larger must have a HDTV tuner built into it (as the old analog tv sets are being phased out).
Morpheus
CD-RW Player

Postby Morpheus on Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:51 am

I just checked:

"Any 25-inch and larger TV manufactured after July 1, 2006 and sold in the United States must have an ATSC tuner in them. Next year the deadline is going to be for TVs 13-inches and bigger."

There you go. 8)
Morpheus
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden