Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Whoa! Major TY media Snafu.

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Postby Gen-An on Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:47 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:DatalifePlus CD-Rs is all made by MBIL right now, none of it is Prodisc, and CMC can't make it because of licensing issues. As for DVDR media, CMC is used much less for manufacturing for several reasons. Prodisc again can't be used because of licensing issues. So again MBIL is getting the orders.

Just curious, how did you find this out and what led to this development? So we can expect to see MII Verbatim media replace all of the MIT stock (when it runs out) in North America?
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:16 pm

Gen-An wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:DatalifePlus CD-Rs is all made by MBIL right now, none of it is Prodisc, and CMC can't make it because of licensing issues. As for DVDR media, CMC is used much less for manufacturing for several reasons. Prodisc again can't be used because of licensing issues. So again MBIL is getting the orders.

Just curious, how did you find this out and what led to this development? So we can expect to see MII Verbatim media replace all of the MIT stock (when it runs out) in North America?

Well, if you check Philips' licensing site, you will see CMC is no longer listed for CD-R manufacturing, and Prodisc has NOT licensing at all. Also if you contact Philips they can confirm.

And to answer your question, I don't think we'll see a complete replacement of Made in Taiwan with Made in India. Why? CMC will make some deals and will continue production. Prodisc on the other hand may not be so lucky.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:58 pm

Hey MonsterMan,

I talked with some important level people over at the main distributor of Taiyo Yuden for North America (I'd say 99% of all Taiyo Yuden product comes through them). And you might be happy to hear that they are naming Harry Potter as the culprit of your problem.

Yes I'm serious... their exact words when I asked them about this issue (which I linked to) were "I don't know, Taiyo Yuden has naver made a 3 layered disc... maybe Harry Potter was involved".

In other news, Princo is now blaming the one armed man for past and future media defects.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to Recordable Media Discussion