Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD Jon cracks Apple's iTunes

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

DVD Jon cracks Apple's iTunes

Postby hoxlund on Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:43 pm

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/10/25/dvd_j ... le_itunes/

here is what the article says:

Jon Lech Johansen, aka DVD Jon, has done it again by hacking Apple's iTunes encryption. Johansen claims this allows people to move their purchased songs to other players which could break Apple's stronghold in the online music business. He has also formed a new company, aptly named DoubleTwist, to license the hack to third-party music stores and even to Apple.

Johansen's hack actually affects the FairPlay encryption inside of Apple iTunes. Not only does Fairplay prevent store bought iTunes songs from being played on other MP3 players, but it also stops DRM-protected songs from other services from playing on the iPod. Essentially, Johansen's hack actually adds DRM to imported songs to make them compatible with iTunes. Regular MP3 files have always been freely importable into iPod, but many services don't offer songs in that format.

Getting around FairPlay is not new and iTunes customers have been using some pretty elaborate methods to get around the protection for several years. One way was to burn the songs to a CD and then rip it back onto the computer as an MP3 file. Another was to use to install a number of programs that defeated the encryption.

When he was 15, Johansen gained notoriety by cracking the CSS encryption scheme protecting DVDs and in so doing had almost every media company go after him. Norwegian authorities tried jail Johansen under digital copyright laws, but he was acquitted with legal help from the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

So far Johansen hasn't publicly released any code and has chosen to go for the big bucks by licensing the hack to competing music stores.
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:53 pm

I think he's in for a legal battle, especially since he plans to sell it.

Personally, I'd rather see him crack AACS.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:36 am

Ian wrote:I think he's in for a legal battle, especially since he plans to sell it.

Personally, I'd rather see him crack AACS.

I'm sure he will! People like him usually crave a challenge! :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden