Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Which MP3? ZEN, ZUNE, or IPOD

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Which MP3? ZEN, ZUNE, or IPOD

Postby ruderacer on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:28 pm

Looking to get one of these for my daughter for Christmas. Anyone have any advise of which is the best of the three. I leaning towards the ZEN 30GB W. But you know how kids are. The craze is the IPOD, but I think the ZEN gives a bit more compatability. I've seen the ZUNE, but it looks huge, not that the ZEN doesn't. With the IPOD, I guess you get stuck with getting stuff from ITUNES. Any comments are will be extremely helpful. TIA.
"It's the voyage that counts, not the totality of life".

Every Saint has a Past! Every Sinner has a Future!
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:18 pm

I just bought the SanDisk Sensa player, e230, or something.
But it was the e series 512MB.

I am very happy with it.
It has no DRM, so you can download any mp3 or unprotected wma file.

I don't use it with earbuds.
I plug it into my boombox which has LINE IN.

I'll be getting my wife another one for Christmas.

I would get any iPod or anything that plays only DRM'd or protected songs.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:44 pm

I'm seeing Sandisk's players all over. I like that you can add more storage to them using an SD card.

I have an iPod and love it. iTunes isn't bad either.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby JamieW on Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:23 am

IPod isn't just a craze. It is extremely friendly to use and they come nicely together at cost, feature, and capacity. I've been hearing nothing but woes regarding the Zune. Microsoft was going to do some craziness where you couldn't directly buy a song, you had to buy Microsoft points, and then exchange the points for songs, leaving remaining points with your account until you used them up. I wasn't really too keen on the idea of having to give MS loans every time my points ran out when other services just let me buy songs on a direct dollar basis. I don't know if they ever changed that, but it is worth looking into.

The Samsungs and the iRivers are considerations for where cost, ease of use, and capacity meet, too.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby Justin42 on Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:28 am

In my experience, iRiver and Creative Labs units sound far and away better than any other MP3 players on the market.

I have a 1st gen Toshiba Gigabeat, as well, which went on to become the Zune, and it sounds pretty good (right up there with iRiver and CL). It's got a fairly quirky UI unfortunately, although I love it. (The unit, not the UI)

(huh? he's talking about sound quality with regard to MP3 players? Does anyone even CARE? ;) )
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:37 am

iRiver h140 + Rockbox! Have one, love it.
Pity they don't make them anymore.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:10 pm

I got to try out a 6GB Sandisk player at Thanksgiving. The interface is nice but the scroll wheel and buttons aren't nearly a smooth as the iPod's. My wife's cousin's wife hasn't been able to upload any DRM'd music either (that's why I looked at it) as it was using the wrong USB mode.

Having to use the Napster software or WMP sucks too. Neither are as nice as iTunes.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby LoneWolf on Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:15 pm

I have a 30GB iPod 3G (touch-wheel model) that I got as a perk from work.

I have nothing against other models of player out there, but the most useful feature for me is that a lot of car stereos can interface with the iPod through an adapter kit. My Pioneer DEH-P680MP controls the iPod so I don't have to futz with it while driving. USA Spec and Harman Kardon also make kits that will interface the iPod with stock car stereos, provided they have CD changer inputs.

I don't use iTunes. Instead, I use WinAmp with the mlPod plugin. It does what I want fairly well.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden