Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Ghost Rider Movie

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Ghost Rider Movie

Postby Ian on Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:48 pm

Did anyone else go and see the new Ghost Rider movie? The wife and I went and saw it today. Given, I'm not a hardcore Ghost Rider fan, but I thought it was pretty good. I didn't see any Stan Lee cameos in this one though.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby roadrunner on Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:19 pm

I'll go tomorrow, time permitting. Before the trailers for this movie came out, I'd never even heard of Ghost Rider...

Nice to know it's good :P
roadrunner
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:43 am

Monday/ Tuesday for me ..
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:32 am

I saw it, I thought the love interest's acting was painful, and the ending seemed pretty forced. I also noticed a few plot holes, the most noticable revolving around an inconsistancy with hallow'd ground and who could or couldn't be on it (trying not to spoil things).

However on whole, I liked the movie, and the transition scenes from Johnny Blaze to Ghostrider and back were quite well done :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:56 pm

I enjoyed the movie. I found it touched on several interesting aspects. Although, I also think that the movie may have been better if some of those aspects were dropped and some of them fleshed out more. I found the bad guys to be nearly pointless. The fights were anti-climactic and Blackheart was one of the worst acting jobs I've seen in non-adult movies. All that said, the story was an acceptable medium for them to convey the coolness of Ghost Rider and the booby shots were awesome.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:22 pm

JamieW wrote:All that said, the story was an acceptable medium for them to convey the coolness of Ghost Rider and the booby shots were awesome.

And sell toys.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Morpheus on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:47 pm

I have just seen it. It's ok on its own but when you compare it to the 2 comic book series - they really butchered the characters and the story. After seeing the trailer a few months back, I knew that they took Ghost Rider 1 and combined him with Ghost Rider 2 as well as other characters. The movie is about 75% Ghost Rider 2 and 25% Ghost Rider 1. I didn't like how he picks up the chain or the jacket and gloves and starts using them instead of the original where that is the way he was from the beginning. They changed the motorcycle which I didn't like and I hated how they took 2 different characters (Carter Slade and The Caretaker) and combined them.

I'll say it again - pretty much every time they take a comic book character and make it into a movie they always screw it up. Get someone who has read the comic for about 20 years - who knows about the superhero, his supporting characters, and the stories and background and have them make the movie so its very close to the comic book!
Morpheus
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:07 pm

Morpheus wrote:I'll say it again - pretty much every time they take a comic book character and make it into a movie they always screw it up. Get someone who has read the comic for about 20 years - who knows about the superhero, his supporting characters, and the stories and background and have them make the movie so its very close to the comic book!

Yep.. I'm waiting to see how badly they butcher Transformers.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Grain on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:30 pm

I'm hoping it will increase the value of my Ghost Rider comics :lol: Enjoyed the first run/series more than the second, but the later was good too. Also hoping for an unrated DVD release, Ghost Rider shouldn't be a PG13 movie :x
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:17 pm

Ian wrote:
Morpheus wrote:I'll say it again - pretty much every time they take a comic book character and make it into a movie they always screw it up. Get someone who has read the comic for about 20 years - who knows about the superhero, his supporting characters, and the stories and background and have them make the movie so its very close to the comic book!

Yep.. I'm waiting to see how badly they butcher Transformers.

I'm not even sure I can stand watching that movie.... I can only have so many precious childhood memories destroyed before my eyes :evil:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:17 pm

How's the new 2 disc version of the original Transformer movie? I admit I have it, yet haven't found/made time to watch it.
If I remember right, the WS version is a cropped version of the 4:3, correct?
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:25 pm

Grain wrote:How's the new 2 disc version of the original Transformer movie? I admit I have it, yet haven't found/made time to watch it.
If I remember right, the WS version is a cropped version of the 4:3, correct?

Aside from the fact that Hot Rod/Rodimus is now pink... its pretty good. I don't know what they were thinking when they did that. It's not like all reds are pink either as Starscream is the right colors.

While you can view some extra stuff on the sides of the frames (which was chopped off in the original movie and Rhino release), Sony chopped off the top and bottom to make it WS.

I make pick up the Metrodome release when it comes out. It is in PAL, but the colors are better than the Sony release.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=124167

That page has some great screenshots, showing the differences between the various versions.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Wesociety on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:30 am

User Rating: 5.7/10 (4,244 votes) at IMDB

I'll pass on a theater visit, probably do the DVD rental once it hits... Judging from the trailers I've seen, it looked pretty cheeseball and I didn't expect Nicholas Cage to do a good job.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden