Home News Reviews Forums Shop

TG Daily Report - Will HD DVD be dead in one year?

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

TG Daily Report - Will HD DVD be dead in one year?

Postby Ian on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:18 pm

One of the better write ups I've read over at TG Daily. It was interesting to hear how differently the two groups are handling their marketing campaigns.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/03/15/hddvd_bluray_cebit/

If you had the choice between "the look and sound of perfect" or the maximum in "hi-def experience", which one would you choose? Sounds similar, but could be very different with what you end up. In the first case, you would end up with HD DVD, whose supporters served salmon and sparkling water during its Cebit conference, and in the second case you would get Blu-ray and doughnuts with coffee.

This was also interesting...

The Blu-ray group did not have flashy demos to match the HD DVD press conference, but announced that it will be shipping 4x BD-R discs "within a few weeks." These discs will be able to deliver a sustained data write rate of 144 Mb/s, compared to the current 72 Mb/s. Media and recorders that support 4x speed are expected to become available during Q2 of this year.

I didn't realize that they were that close to shipping 4x BD-R discs. Usually its months between an announcement and the date they ship... and I haven't seen any announcements yet.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Wesociety on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:31 pm

Damn! More bad news for HD DVD. They need to get off their ARSES!!!
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:41 pm

Personally, I'll take the doughnuts over the salmon I think :P

But as for HD DVD-R and BD-R, I really wonder if there is any way Toshiba could salvage the recordable media format by this point. 1x vs 4x, and still no RW or DL media from HD DVD either... not to mention *DRIVES*.

Honestly, sometimes it feels like Toshiba isn't even trying anymore. I know that can't be true (I know for a fact it *ISN'T* true)... but it still FEELS that way sometimes.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby roadrunner on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:35 pm

I could see HD-DVD winning in the movie front, Blu-Ray in the recorder front.

I love how easy to decrypt HD-DVD is...and love Blu-Rays capacity...
roadrunner
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:04 pm

I could see HD DVD possibly surviving... but only if Toshiba gets their act together quickly.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives