Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Best Dual Layer Burning Combo? (April '07)

SlySoft, Alcohol, VSO Software, NTI, etc.

Best Dual Layer Burning Combo? (April '07)

Postby ph349397 on Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:00 pm

I've searched through some threads and I can't seem to get a good answer for this: what is considered to be the best reader/writer combo for making DL DVD backups that can be played in commercial DVD Players? If you have a configuration that does this successfully, please post it like so:

---Reader---
Name: DVDFab Decrypter ver X.XX.XX
Mode: What is the specific mode you use the software in (in DVDFab, for instance, you can choose "Full Disc" or "Clone")
Settings: Describe how you tweak the settings here

---Writer---

**Same format here**
ph349397
Buffer Underrun

Postby ph349397 on Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:17 pm

Nobody's helping me out!!!???
ph349397
Buffer Underrun

Postby algrinch on Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:14 am

I would use Full Disc Setting.

Set book type to "DVD ROM" if your burning software and/or burner allows it. (it probably does this automatically)

Use quaility media and burn it at a speed that produces a good burn. Verbatim seems to be the current DL media of choice.

My Sony DVD player handles most disc's, but lately I had two that it wouldn't play. I have a Toshiba that used to play most discs but is headed for the garbage can as now it won't play anything all the way through. The best DVD player I have is a $30 Diamond that I got at Walmart. It sounds like its full of sand when the tray opens and closes but it plays anything.

The commercial DVD players can be picky. I don't think there is a sure-fire method to guarentee a particular disc will play in a paricular unit. If you have a good quailty burn set to "DVD Rom: book type, that is probably the best compatibility you will get.

Not sure if that helps you...

Al
"All Bibles are man made" - Thomas Edison
algrinch
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:15 am

Most drives read dual layer movie discs at only 8x. There are a few that will rip at 12x though like the BenQ DW1655 and newer Lite-On's.

As far as writing goes, most drive produce acceptable results with Verbatim DL media. I really wouldn't bother with other brands as the results are more often than not crap.

Also, look for a drive that supports bitsetting for DL media. This will greatly increase your chance of the disc being compatible with various players.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:34 am

OK the NEC based drives burn DL great. My 111 does any DL burn well enough to work, and my new LG h22n can even burn the crap Ritek D01 at 4x and work and that stuff is 2.4. The 112 should be similar and I spose a few of the newer LG's.
Those are the drives I use for DL, any of my others might work in my pickiest player or might not depending on speed, burner, media maker, and luck :-?
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:55 am

ph349397 wrote:Nobody's helping me out!!!???

Chill out, this is a forum, not instant messaging.

Almost all current generation DVD burners will do a good job with Verbatim Double Layer media (note: avoid dual layer, which is DVD-R DL).

IMPORTANT: As algrinch and Ian already mentioned, make sure to get a drive that supports setting a BookType of DVD-ROM on DVD+R DL media to ensure that your discs will have maximum compatibility in standalone players.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Return to Other CD, DVD and Blu-ray Burning Software