Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Sony DVD+R DL, good media? (First post)

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Sony DVD+R DL, good media? (First post)

Postby OoAnd1 on Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:07 am

Hi, I've been reading this forum for a while but I have a question that I couldn't find here or anywhere else.

I have a Sony Dru-820A DVD DL burner that I have been using Verbatim DL media with. It was the "certified" media for the burner and everything has been great.

But I saw Ian post that BestBuy has a sale on Sony DL media (I didn't even know they made DL media) and I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them.

Even tho they are both Sony brands they are not "certified" to work, or work well, together. On the other hand, I've been using Sony DVD-R media with it and again, no complaints.

I'm sure the two Sony products would work with each other so my real question is....is the media good to begin with?? Or should I wait for a Verbatim sale?

Thnx. Great forum!
OoAnd1
Buffer Underrun

Postby RJW on Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:44 am

There is different sony dual layer media floating arround.
Some is MKM001 same quality as verbatim. If you sure that you get this then buy it
The other however is made by ritek and are RITEKD01 which means better avoid it.

So check if the package states made In singapore. If yes then buy it.
If it says made in Taiwan then leave it alone and waite for the verbatims to come on sale.
Trying to make something "foolproof" only forces nature to make a better fool.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby OoAnd1 on Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:34 am

I went to BestBuy today and saw that they were "Made in Taiwan" so I didn't buy them.

Even tho they were on sale, I didn't want to risk buying bad or incompatible media.

Thanx for the help!
OoAnd1
Buffer Underrun

Postby SkaarjMaster on Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:58 am

Always check here before buying new media as I do and you can't go wrong. Tell all your friends! :D
MSI (unnamed laptop): GS75 Stealth 95F, Pioneer BDR-XD07B
SKAARJ-LAPTOP: Asus G750JW-NH71
SKAARJMASTERDUO: WinXPSP3,C2D E8600,Gigabyte EP45-UD3P,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T.
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby Wischmop on Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:11 am

Good that I found this, I saw cheap Sony +R DL in Ebay, I sent the shop a mail to ask in which country the media is made.

Verbatim DL is very expensive atm here
Wischmop
Buffer Underrun

Postby Grain on Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:08 pm

Wischmop wrote:Verbatim DL is very expensive atm here

I know some folks in the UK that are buying their Verb DL's from Ebay or other online shops in the USA or Canada that ship across the pond, even with postage they're saving some $. Something you may want to look into.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby frank1 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:43 am

I saw some genuine Taiyo Yuden DVD-R DL 8x White Inkjet FS with Media code TYG11
for sale here at OS-Mediatrade:
http://www.os-mediatrade.com/product_in ... e--1-.html

Regardless of the compatibility problems of the DVD-R DL format with standalone DVD video players, what are these TYG11 worth compared to the Verbatim DVD-R DL ?
[ 4x certified / MID code: MKM 01RD30 ]
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby evilboy on Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:21 am

Not all drives have it in the firmware yet. :(
evilboy
CD-RW Thug

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:57 pm

frank1 wrote:I saw some genuine Taiyo Yuden DVD-R DL 8x White Inkjet FS with Media code TYG11
for sale here at OS-Mediatrade:
http://www.os-mediatrade.com/product_in ... e--1-.html

Regardless of the compatibility problems of the DVD-R DL format with standalone DVD video players, what are these TYG11 worth compared to the Verbatim DVD-R DL ?
[ 4x certified / MID code: MKM 01RD30 ]

Well, I haven't seen too many good results with those discs. I'd suggest keeping with Verbatim's DVD-RDL. I've also heard that TY's printable surface causes problems with the DL disc. I don't understand all the reasoning behind it, but there is apparently some reason why Verbatim and Ritek haven't released a hub printable inkjet DL disc, and TY decided to go ahead with it, and it's believed to be without solving the problem although this is not 100% confirmed. This is what I've been told by Verbatim.

Anothing interesting tidbit of news is that over here in North America, TY has now discontinued their 8x DVD-RDL products. It was only available for a few months, but it's no longer available to be ordered from their distribution channel.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:20 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Anothing interesting tidbit of news is that over here in North America, TY has now discontinued their 8x DVD-RDL products. It was only available for a few months, but it's no longer available to be ordered from their distribution channel.

No big surprise there, as the DVD-R DL format is completely dead here in North America.

Personally, I would never recommend using DVD-R DL. I have two Philips standalone DVD players here in my apartment. DVD-R DL will play on the older model but not on the new one! ha !
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:15 am

My Panasonic DVD Recorder has no problem with DVD-RDL, but it's still a pain in the butt for me to get them to play in anything else. So I stick with DVD+RDL and DVD-R media.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby frank1 on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:12 am

Thanks a lot !
So anyway Taiyo Yuden does not manufacture DL in the other format: DVD+R DL
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:49 am

frank1 wrote:Thanks a lot !
So anyway Taiyo Yuden does not manufacture DL in the other format: DVD+R DL

Not that they've let anyone know about yet at least. But they are the most secretive of all the media manufacturers. I swear you almost need to sign an NDA to get the name of their phone receptionist. This would probably be true if they HAD a phone receptionist....

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:43 am

DVD-R is the dominant format in Japan. And as Taiyo Yuden is based in Japan, I'm sure that is one of the reasons (or possibly the only reason) why they decided to produce DVD-R DL and not DVD+R DL.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Wischmop on Mon May 07, 2007 4:51 am

OK, I bought some of those Sony at ebay, and yes, it´s Verbatim :)

The final price was 59 € for 30 pieces Sony +R DL 2,4x in Jewelcases. Not cheap, but cheaper than verbatim in cakebox
Wischmop
Buffer Underrun

Return to Recordable Media Discussion