+ VariRec
+ PoweRec
+ Q-Check
+ PIE/PIF (1ECC)/Jitter

Is Plextor PX-760SA good?
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Gen-An on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:32 am

For those features, the only drives that will suffice are the 716SA, 755SA or 760SA. The 760SA is quite good, but sadly it is one of the last of the true Plextor drives, so grab one (or better yet, two) while you still can.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:37 am

Gen-An wrote:For those features, the only drives that will suffice are the 716SA, 755SA or 760SA. The 760SA is quite good, but sadly it is one of the last of the true Plextor drives, so grab one (or better yet, two) while you still can.

Thanks, I will buy 760SA...
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:18 pm

Act fast, the real Plextors getting rare
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Morpheus on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:11 pm

I managed to get 2 755SA's a few months ago for my next 2 pcs. I would have bought 2 760SA's instead but they weren't available in NA. For some reason we have the 760A but not the 760SA.
Morpheus
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:23 pm

The 760 and 755 are essentially the same, just the 760 offers 18x writing. I'm happy with my PX-755SA and my PX-716A in North America... Just disappointed in Plextor pulled out of the ODD market.... One may argue they didn't because they put their name on a few OEM drives... but no true Plextors is sad because no other drive really impresses me... not that the latest Plextors did too much, but my expectations were higher with them.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:00 am

yeah pretty much everyone is sold out of 750/760s

quick search came up with zero in stock at any respectable site
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:30 am

Thanks, guys! I am trying to buy a Plextor drive as fast as possible...
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Gen-An on Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:04 pm

hoxlund wrote:yeah pretty much everyone is sold out of 750/760s

quick search came up with zero in stock at any respectable site

Fry's and Micro Center brick and mortar stores may still have 760A drives. I know my local Fry's has about 8 or 10. I'd better grab one to supplement the 760A and 760SA I currently have.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:05 am

No, I did not get Plextor PX-760SA. [-X

Please, tell me. Where can I find it? I live in Finland. [-o<
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Media2007 on Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:22 pm

That's going to be tough.I've been really doing exstensive searching.With no luck at all! :cry: :cry: [-o<
Media2007
CD-RW Player

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:22 pm

No luck. [-X #-o :evil:
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Halc on Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:33 pm

Henri,

can you tell us why you need those specific features?

What specific things are you planning to do with the drive?

If you _really_ need one, you may still be able to find one through Central European small computer shops.

Beware though, you will spend a lot of time finding one and you'll be paying through your nose :)
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi there!

I am just an optical drive geek and want to test everything related to optical drives. :lol:

PIE/PIF/Jitter test capability is really important. I want to know how good my discs are.
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:47 pm

Feature-wise, the closest thing to a Plextor is probably a Lite-On.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Halc on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Henri Tapani Heinonen wrote:Hi there!

I am just an optical drive geek and want to test everything related to optical drives. :lol:

PIE/PIF/Jitter test capability is really important. I want to know how good my discs are.

Then you'll also need to find one of the almost gone Nexperia chipset based BenQ drives, a LiteOn that supports Jitter scanning in CD-DVD Speed, a consistent Optiarc model (with Nec shipset) and preferably an older generation Pioneer (that is still supported in v.4.55.1 of CD-DVD Speed).

That is, if you _really_ want to know how good your discs are :)

People probably here already hate me for stating this for the umpteenth time, but:

Home scanning results from a single model (single puh, single chipset) and single drive specimen are not always a reliable indicator of either disc or burn quality.

BTW, if you really want the Plextor, Amazon.FR still lists 760SA as in stock and available for order.

http://www.amazon.fr/Plextor-PX-760SA-L ... 000GYHS7S/

You won't be able to order it directly to Finland, but you could try and find somebody in France to order it for you (to an address in France 1st, then ship it to you separately).
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Halc wrote:Then you'll also need to find one of the almost gone Nexperia chipset based BenQ drives, a LiteOn that supports Jitter scanning in CD-DVD Speed, a consistent Optiarc model (with Nec shipset) and preferably an older generation Pioneer (that is still supported in v.4.55.1 of CD-DVD Speed).
That is, if you _really_ want to know how good your discs are :)

Please, can you explain some more? Why so many different drives? Can you tell the exact model numbers of the drives? :)

Halc wrote:BTW, if you really want the Plextor, Amazon.FR still lists 760SA as in stock and available for order.

http://www.amazon.fr/Plextor-PX-760SA-L ... 000GYHS7S/

You won't be able to order it directly to Finland, but you could try and find somebody in France to order it for you (to an address in France 1st, then ship it to you separately).

Thanks for the link! =D>
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Halc on Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:48 am

This is a long discussion and you'll find most of the data here, at cdfreaks and at cdr-info, if you search the forums (you can search with my username halc / halcyon, although not all data comes from me, but I've frequented many of the threads in question, often learning from those who know more than me).

It really boils down to this:

There are no simple 'metric' standard for what a dvd reading / writing should be. I.e. there is no absolute benchmark

That is, one drive optimizes for low DC jitter, another one for other disc low level characteristics.

These burns will read back differently on different drives, which in turn optimize the reading process differently.

The error often quoted are just what the drive sees. They are not 'absolute' errors low level on the disc.

They are errors that the reading drive made in the process of reading the disc in question. Hence, they vary from drive to drive and even from scan to scan (the process is stochastic, not deterministic).

Granted, both the reading AND writing have improved a lot in recent years.

Still, it is possible to get a burn that scan very well in drive 1, but quite bad in drive 2 or does not read back at all in drive 3.

As a physicist in training you understand what this means.

So, the process of measuring 'write quality' becomes an exercise in eliminating random and systemic error. First in instrumentation, then in statistical number crunching.

By measuring with various different drives (testing for the drive scan-to-scan variation first) one gains a better understanding of how the burn behaves in a larger population of drives.

That is, what is the likelihood that it actually reads back ok in most of the drives people have out there, i.e. it's a 'good burn'.*

* Actually, for this purpose one would need to have a lot of older drives as well, some of which are not so good readers by modern standards, but which represent a sizeable portion of the market of drives. However, this is proving to be increasingly more difficult, as the number of test capable 'older' drives available has become small.

That is the overall picture. Then there are the details about optical pick up heads (their variation), chipsets (how they read, filter and report back the data), programs used for scanning and what conclusions can be drawn. Additionally longevity (how the discs will age and retain readable data) is a completely different thing altogether.

If you want to read more, I can suggest a couple of articles in the Finnish MikroPC-lehti. The other published stuff is either from NIST/OSTA or in the German c't magazine.

The MikroPC articles in question (in Finnish):

http://mikropc.net/rml/arkisto/mikropc/ ... 200522.pdf
http://mikropc.net/rml/arkisto/mikropc/ ... Q4g09.html
http://mikropc.net/rml/arkisto/mikropc/ ... 200736.pdf

Unfortunately even the above is a scratching of the surface.

The best source? Your own research, including the forums already mentioned and a lot of hands on testing and statistical pruning :)

With that said, if you just want to get an overall feel of how things are with your burns, using your drives, then just getting a recent Lite-On (like 20A4P) might not be such a bad idea. It may not be always accurate in all cases, but for most non-research uses it's 'good enough'.

Hope I didn't bore you to death :)
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:14 am

Halc wrote:Hope I didn't bore you to death :)

No, you didn't. Thank you, Halc! :)
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:00 pm

Oops, he waited so long for the reply, so I thought he is already ... ;)
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers