Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Where should I send my petition?

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Where should I send my petition?

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:09 am

Hi!

I am almost ready to send my petition via snail mail. Where should I send it? To DVD Forum? To DVD+RW Alliance? To LG? To Sony?

PS. I am serious. Please, no kidding. [-o<
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:52 am

You're still working on that petition? I guess I'd start by emailing it to various drive manufacturers and the DVD Forum.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:58 pm

I'm still pretty sure there are a few physical impossibilities on there... but for what it's worth, good luck! :)

Focus your efforts on the big boys:

HLDS (Hitatchi-LG Data Storage)
PLDS (Philips-Lite-On Data Storage)
TSST (Toshiba-Samsung Storage Technologies)

They pretty much control everything.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:35 pm

Yeah, I had a petition like that one time.

I asked Chrysler and GM to use the same threaded fitting oil filters, but that was then and this is now. :(

So I petitioned XM and Sirius Satellite radios to give me the same stuff because my Jeep/Chrysler has Sirius and my GM has XM.

Outside of that, it's a perfect world! Right Hox? :P
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:45 pm

Publicly traded corporations?!!? I'm sorry, they tell us what we need and laugh at us silly consumers when we try and tell them what we want.... because the majority of consumers are easily swayed by marketing gimmicks, etc.

Best of luck with that petition...
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:17 am

Ok. Thanks, guys!
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Wesociety on Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:30 pm

SithTracy wrote:Publicly traded corporations?!!? I'm sorry, they tell us what we need and laugh at us silly consumers when we try and tell them what we want.... because the majority of consumers are easily swayed by marketing gimmicks, etc.

Of course there are always exceptions to any generalization. Some public companies are good at soliciting customer feedback and tweaking their products to fit customer desires.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:56 pm

Wesociety wrote:Of course there are always exceptions to any generalization. Some public companies are good at soliciting customer feedback and tweaking their products to fit customer desires.
My post was mostly sarcasm :D. I am sure some listen... I've dealt with several that don't just sitting in my desk at work!!! I'd love to name them :evil: but will refrain... none are related to the optical storage industry.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:56 am

I just sent letters to:
- Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Corporation
- Hitachi-LG Data Storage
- DVD FORUM

I will probably send two more letters, to:
- Sony
- Philips Lite-On Digital Solutions

I just do not know the addresses at the moment.

PS. I requested some freedback. It is interesting to see will they answer me. [-o<
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby JamieW on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:13 pm

SithTracy wrote:Publicly traded corporations?!!? I'm sorry, they tell us what we need and laugh at us silly consumers when we try and tell them what we want.... because the majority of consumers are easily swayed by marketing gimmicks, etc.

Best of luck with that petition...

Alternatively the majority of their business comes from sources that neither know nor care about the details that bother enthusiasts. I don't even know what type of DVD RW I have. Sometimes I forget what I have until I need to burn a DVD. Hasn't stopped me from doing anything I've wanted to do.

There's a difference between being "swayed" and being affected.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:42 am

No reply at the moment. Maybe they won't even read my letters. :-/

PS. I will send a couple of more letters in the September. Any ideas, how can I make them to answer me? I just want to get an answer, so that I will know the current situation of all-in-one drives...
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:24 am

Nothing. They just couldn't care less! [-X :evil: #-o [-X
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:43 am

Sorry to hear that man. I wish I could say I was surprised... but the petition was pretty unrealistic (I'm talking physical impossabilities) in some ways.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Henri Tapani Heinonen on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:09 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Sorry to hear that man. I wish I could say I was surprised... but the petition was pretty unrealistic (I'm talking physical impossabilities) in some ways.

Thanks.

Could you, please, tell me more about the physical impossibilities? Maybe you mean Blu-ray&DVD-RAM-cartridge-support or something?
Henri Tapani Heinonen
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:32 pm

Henri Tapani Heinonen wrote:Thanks.

Could you, please, tell me more about the physical impossibilities? Maybe you mean Blu-ray&DVD-RAM-cartridge-support or something?

From your petition:

We, undersigned, want "all-in-one" combo drives that satisfies the following features:
- It should be easy to put a 120 mm, 80 mm or 60 mm disc with or without a cartridge on the drive's tray. For example, DVD-RAMs, PDs and probably BluRay Discs have a cartridge around the disc. ML CD-R(W)s have the new 60 mm form factor.

To do this, you would need a very specialized drive tray that would be able to handle cartridges and bare discs. Panasonic has done it at least once, so It's physically possible, but not simple, and more expensive (non-standardized!). Accepting 120mm, 80mm and 60mm bare discs on a tray would require 3 imprints in the tray, whereas normally there are 2. This would require a thicker tray, and between this and the cartridge requirement, would probably make the drive larger then the 'Half-height' standard for ODDs. You don't want that. A slightly better solution would be to force cartridges in all cases... which may require seperate cartridge types for different formats potentially... it would likely be non-standard, so the drive maker would have to make arrangements to have these produced. and Since you want TOTAL compatability, they'd need to produce a lot of really unusual ones. Might as well throw MiniDisc and UMD support in there too while we're at it :P

- "All-in-one" combo drive must be able to read (and write) all the optical disc formats: CD-R, CD-RW, DD-CD-R, DD-CD-RW, ML CD-R, ML CD-RW, FMD, PD, GD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-R(A), DVD-R(G), DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW and all the different versions of them including Dual Layer (DL)."
- "All-in-one" combo drive must be ready for the future formats: BluRay, HD-DVD, EVD, VMD, DMD, HVD, etc., and all the different versions of them."

Not to be blunt, but do you have any idea how many different wavelengths are required, let alone focus distances and pick up heads, just for the formats in that list? My guess is a minimum of 3-5 lasers, some pretty advanced focusing technology (which would need to be custom built JUST for this drive... which means it might be easier/cheaper to use more lasers at set focus points!), and PUH's wouldn't be any better either. Consider the amount of physical space each of these parts would take up in the unit. You already need a specialized cartridge supporting tray that'll be bigger then normal.

- "All-in-one" combo drive must be cheap, silent and have a high MTBF.
- "All-in-one" combo drive must have BURN-Proof technology and/or related technology, and DAO, TAO, SAO and PAO.

Cheap??? I'd be quite surprised if this drive could be manufactured for less then $800 (that's being VERY optomistic even), just because of all the custom parts required. Don't forget all the extra licensing fees that would be required for supporting nearly every format known to man... on top of that, all those 'burn proof' technologies require specific chipsets.... trying to throw in multiple chipsets would require significantly more phsyical space, not to mention some way of controlling/switching between the chipsets. Again, that's more custom work.

So you'd be looking at a machine that would cost probably ~25x regular drive prices (based on the DVD market), and would likely take up 2x as much space (2 drive bays). I'm still not entirely convinced it's even possible to make a drive with multiple chipsets, or a control system to handle so many lasers.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden