Home News Reviews Forums Shop

The Verbatim MediDisc™ CD-R & DVD-R

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

The Verbatim MediDisc™ CD-R & DVD-R

Postby frank1 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:22 am

The Verbatim MediDisc™ CD-R (700 MB storage capacity with 52x write speed)
and the Verbatim MediDisc™ MediDisc™ DVD-R (up to 8x write speed)

What do the experts here think about these storage medias claimed as "reliable" for medical datas ?
Do you think that they will be available soon for the public at a reasonable price ?

A other question: are they manufactured by MKM in Singapour or in Taiwan or even in India ?

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Secure-sto ... lease.html
The Verbatim MediDisc™ is extremely robust and reliable due to its innovative surface technology. With the patented Metal Azo technology developed by Mitsubishi Chemicals, Verbatim's parent company, the media ensure error-free, fail-safe data acquisition and protect the stored data from environmental influences.
« Their innovative coating makes Verbatim MediDisc™ CD-Rs and DVD-Rs outstandingly tough and therefore ideal for frequent use over many years. The diligent manufacturing process and continuous monitoring by Verbatim guarantee our products' consistent standard of quality for use in the medical sector »

says Torsten Leye
Marketing Manager Optical at Verbatim EUMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa)
Last edited by frank1 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:29 am

Last I heard, the MediDisc was made by CMC for Verbatim. As for the claims, I can't say for sure, but it's supposed to be one of their better discs. I could probably request samples and try them out if you like?
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:29 am

Is there some unofficial (or official) standard that says discs that are certified for medical use have to look like that? I have some Maxell Medical DVD-Rs and the design and color scheme are remarkably similar to the MediDisc pic.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:18 am

Gen-An wrote:Is there some unofficial (or official) standard that says discs that are certified for medical use have to look like that?

Yes, the DICOM standard.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:56 am

Gen-An wrote:Is there some unofficial (or official) standard that says discs that are certified for medical use have to look like that? I have some Maxell Medical DVD-Rs and the design and color scheme are remarkably similar to the MediDisc pic.

There are certain requirements yes.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby frank1 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:40 am

Thanks a lot for the details
I just hope that we will be able to get in Europe some of these Verbatim MediDisc™ DVD's sometimes in the near future.
As anybody an idea about which type of shop may sell them ?
Probably not nierle.com or ?
Last edited by frank1 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby DrageMester on Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:19 am

You can get the Verbatim MediDisc from SVP.co.uk (but they're out of stock on the DVD-R atm).
Pioneer DVR-112L, LiteOn SHM-165P6S, Pioneer DVR-111L, BenQ DW1655, Plextor PX-760A
LiteOn LH-20A1P, Optiarc AD-7203A, Matshita UJ-840S, Sony RDR-HX910, Sony RDR-HX750
DrageMester
CD-RW Player

Postby evilboy on Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:30 am

Well, if the Super Azo CD-R are CMC-made as well =D>
evilboy
CD-RW Thug

Return to Recordable Media Discussion