Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Please Help - My First DVD Back Up

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Please Help - My First DVD Back Up

Postby georgetok on Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:16 pm

Hello,

Please forgive me if this is a really stupid question & I read few posts to get some idea & downloaded some necessary software too.

I just got my first video DVD whch is sort of an instructional video DVD for my business..

I want to make a back up copy of it.

I have never ever used a movie DVD or any kind of video DVD before.

I do back up regular data from my hard drive to a 4.7 GB DVD using Sonic software provided by Dell.

This is the first video DVD I played using Roxio CinePlayer.

I know nothing about DVd protection. How do I know if there is a protection on this DVD ?

I have just downloaded the DVDFab Platinum a DVD copying software suggested in this forum.

My questions are :

Can I just copy this DVD using my regular Dell provided Sonic software ?

Can I copy this DVD using DVDFab platinum software & if yes, do I need to remove any kind of protection before I copy ?

Trying to copy this DVD by using either software would hurt the original in any way ? ( This probably might be the stupidest question )

I might have to return this DVD to the vendor if the product with which this DVD came with doesn't work out for me after 30 Day trial period.

Thank You.
George
georgetok
Buffer Underrun

Re: Please Help - My First DVD Back Up

Postby algrinch on Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:18 am

georgetok wrote:Can I copy this DVD using DVDFab platinum software & if yes, do I need to remove any kind of protection before I copy ?

DVDFab Platinum should handle the back up, and remove the copy protection. Just follow the instructions.

georgetok wrote:Trying to copy this DVD by using either software would hurt the original in any way ? ( This probably might be the stupidest question )

If it is a stampted disc and not a burned one, I don't think it would be possible to damage it in your burner. Burning software recognizes the status of a disc and won't let you do anything other than read it.

I find most software pretty good about at least warning you if it is going to do something that will potentially damage things. Either that or it won't allow you to do it.

Al
"All Bibles are man made" - Thomas Edison
algrinch
CD-RW Player

Postby georgetok on Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:54 am

Al,

Really appreciate your advice.

Yes, I was able to copy it using the DvdFab in less than 15 minutes.

Nice thing about it was that it took only one click to do it.

Can you tell me if this was possible because may be there was no copy protection on it or DvdFab removed it ?

Would this work on a Movie DVD too ?

Thank You Much Al

George
georgetok
Buffer Underrun

Postby algrinch on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:37 am

DVDFab removes most copy protection on the fly.

Most if not all DVD's have copy protection.

If you have the most current version of DVDFab it should work for almost all movies. When they come out with new copy protection, DVDFab comes out with a new version to handle it.

You should have no problem making backups with this program.

Al
"All Bibles are man made" - Thomas Edison
algrinch
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers