Home News Reviews Forums Shop

JVC 2x DVD-RWDL media

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

JVC 2x DVD-RWDL media

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:26 pm

Well, one site is finally listing them:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... table.html

They don't have them in stock yet, but at least we know the pricing is ~$10 a disc. Absolutely brutal price for a media type that we don't have any drives that can record to it, or any idea of how many drives will be able to read it back though.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:46 pm

If any of my drives were able to use this, I'd pay 10 bucks for one to play with- it is reusable, after all!

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:59 pm

MediumRare wrote:If any of my drives were able to use this, I'd pay 10 bucks for one to play with- it is reusable, after all!

G

Yeah, I would too.... I'm crazy like that. But I don't even know of any drives officially announced that will support the format.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:09 pm

I probably wouldn't even bother with this media even if I had a drive that was capable of writing to it. I'm sure the discs won't play in most standalone players.

I assume these will have a Book Type of "DVD-R", just like the write-once DVD-R DL?

If DVD+RW DL was available on the other hand, I would jump right on it, especially if I could bitset to a DVD-ROM Book Type.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby DrageMester on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:13 pm

Wesociety wrote:If DVD+RW DL was available on the other hand, I would jump right on it, especially if I could bitset to a DVD-ROM Book Type.

You should be more careful when handling expensive media, Wesociety! :P
Pioneer DVR-112L, LiteOn SHM-165P6S, Pioneer DVR-111L, BenQ DW1655, Plextor PX-760A
LiteOn LH-20A1P, Optiarc AD-7203A, Matshita UJ-840S, Sony RDR-HX910, Sony RDR-HX750
DrageMester
CD-RW Player

Return to Recordable Media Discussion