Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero 8 Shipping In September!?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Postby Ian on Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:32 pm

SithTracy wrote:It's gonna be bloat*10! I think I heard the download was going to be over 500MB. I'll have to confirm with my friend who picked it up at retail, but I thought he said it came on a DVD-ROM.

The pirated copies that are floating around are about 1GB.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:52 am

Best Buy has Nero 8 on sale this week for $59.99. No rebates as far as I can tell.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby TCAS on Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:02 am

Today is September 26 and still no sign of market availability of Nero8. 8) #-o
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:12 am

Here in the Dallas / FW area...you can get Nero 8, if you are willing to pay full price...at CompUSA, Best Buy and Fry's...I have seen it in all three. Since I am a Nero 7 owner...I will most likely purchase the $49.99 upgrade direct from Nero and wait for it next week. Don't need to pay more because I want the Box

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:55 am

bobmitchell wrote:Since I am a Nero 7 owner...

Are you a satisfied Nero 7 owner? Do you use anything that isn't available in 6.6? (I'm still debating whether to do the "upgrade to 7 now and get 8 free" deal).

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby bobmitchell on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:58 am

Ironically...I have had very few problems with v7. Most updated is 7.10.1.0 I do a lot of multisession disks...DVD, audio, etc. So I get a lot of value out of Nero...always have. NeroVision is much improved over v6. Nero Recode has grown. I would say that the "other" apps in Nero 7 are ahead of the same modules in v6.

In the beginning, there were issues with v7. Only problem I had was that my multisession discs would become corupt over time...not sure if it was Nero or my old Plextor PX-716A drive. The Plexy was one of the best drives ever made, but when things went bad...went bad, quickly. I had the drive replaced by Plextor three times before getting the one that I have in my older computer.

Satisfied...YES! Am I gonna try v8...most likely. Worst case scenario is that v8 is v7 with an improved interface, to start. However, I have always liked the fact that Nero releases new updated versions either monthly or every couple of months. A work in progress that improves with time.

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:32 pm

I'll probably go for 8 when the price seems right.

No real reason, though.

Kinda' like getting a new car just to get one even though the old one is not dead.

Why should software apps be any different? :P
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:31 pm

Hi Bob,
thank you for reporting your experience with Nero 7. We sometimes tend to get a somewhat skewed picture of the capabilities of these program suites because people generally post about their problems. In fact IIRC, you've had your share of problems with NeroVision as well. It's reassuring that you're satisfied with the suite and have seen genuine advantages over the older version.

I guess I'll go the update route after all- if only (like Slim says) it's nice to have a new toy once in a while. In fact, I'll have 2: Nero 7 (which is hopefully a bit maturer by now) and Nero 8 next week. :D We don't get the rebate orgies that seem to be rampant in the US, so I don't really expect a better price on this.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Ian on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:05 pm

I wasn't a big fan of Nero 7 initially either. The fact that it took a minute longer than Nero 6 to burn a DVD prevented me from using it in my tests. I gave it another try earlier this year and its not really that bad.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby MediumRare on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:45 pm

Well, version 8.1.1.0 is available on Nero's website now, but the servers are pretty slow. My first try trickled in at 10 kB/s before dying at the 2/3 mark. :evil:

Second try seems to be going a bit better: 50-80 kB/s (1/10 capacity of a 3 Mbit line).

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:13 pm

No change log.. Heck, I don't even see place for a change log on their new website. I wonder if they just got rid of it since they rarely updated it.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby SithTracy on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:37 pm

I downloaded it (under ten minutes), but I am very reluctant on trying it out. A friend of mine bought the retail version and it did not work any better than v7.x... and I have had my share of problems with 7.x (and so did he). It is a decent value for all that is offered for an upgrade price of roughly $50, but I don't need all the bloat. The core application did fine for me for years until 7.x. Anyone running AHCI try it out?

I expect this to be a pretty uneventful release and Nero hurt themselves by not committing to Nero 7 like they did with past versions.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:44 pm

I downloaded in 5 Minutes and intend to install it under dual OS in VISTA and try it to see how is it work. BTW: Installation would be as demo one since I have no S/N for this version.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:49 pm

SithTracy wrote:I downloaded it (under ten minutes), but I am very reluctant on trying it out. A friend of mine bought the retail version and it did not work any better than v7.x... and I have had my share of problems with 7.x (and so did he). It is a decent value for all that is offered for an upgrade price of roughly $50, but I don't need all the bloat. The core application did fine for me for years until 7.x. Anyone running AHCI try it out?

I expect this to be a pretty uneventful release and Nero hurt themselves by not committing to Nero 7 like they did with past versions.

If you do have such low opinion about integrity of this program (Nero) why did you bother to go with further and pay and buy version 8 also?. I have use Nero6, and 7 with minimum problem over the years.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:36 am

TCAS wrote:I have use Nero6, and 7 with minimum problem over the years.
As have I with the exception of v7. And I have always suspected that it had issues with AHCI on Intel chipsets (originally thought Jmicron)... I guess part of me has hope that it will get addressed... I know my friend had some issues with the retail version of 8, not sure if this download is a new version... He is out of town right now.... Kinda waiting for him to be my guinea pig before I try it... Do you run AHCI mode?
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:06 am

So far, so good with Ver. 8

I've not had time to give it a good run.

Burned a DVD-5 at full speed.

mp3 encoding went well too.

I downloaded it in about 8 minutes.

I never did get my key via e-mail. I had to log into the US Store and look it up in there.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)