Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Report Finds That Consumers Are More Familiar With HD DVD

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Report Finds That Consumers Are More Familiar With HD DVD

Postby Ian on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:27 am

Anyone else see this? Besides the fact that consumers are more familiar with HD DVD, I was surprised that only 52% of those surveyed were aware that high-def players were available. Also, 73% said that their standard DVD players work fine and they aren't going to replace them.

http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=H6 ... ewsLang=en

Among those who currently own HDTVs, half (52 percent) are familiar with the availability of high-definition DVD players, but only 11 percent expressed strong intentions to buy one in the next six months. Seventy-three percent of HDTV owners reported that their current traditional-format DVD player still works well for them, so they do not need to replace it; while 62 percent said they are waiting for the prices of high-definition players to fall.

According to NPD, consumers’ knowledge of the HD DVD format is more prevalent than for the Blu-ray Disc format. While 29 percent of respondents were aware of HD DVD, just 20 percent had heard of Blu-ray Disc. Consumers who purchased a Blu-ray Disc player reported that they did so because they believed it was superior to HD DVD; while those who purchased an HD DVD player did so because the price was lower than a Blu-ray Disc player.

Take note that the survey was done between June 18 and June 28, so the data is already kind of old.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:50 am

Shouldn't this be in the Blu-Ray / HD DVD section? :P

I can't say I'm surprised by the low amount of knowledge though. And the format war doesn't help increase interest much either.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:51 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Shouldn't this be in the Blu-Ray / HD DVD section? :P

Oops.. my bad.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Grain on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:22 pm

What I took most note of was that the survey was done on present HDTV owners. How horrible would the numbers have been if they had included SD TV owners!
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:41 pm

Grain wrote:What I took most note of was that the survey was done on present HDTV owners. How horrible would the numbers have been if they had included SD TV owners!

I don't think I want to know :P
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:26 pm

Seems a bit irrelevant since the data is so old. There has been a lot more marketing and promoting of HD DVD and Blu-ray since then...
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:19 am

I wonder though if they REALLY knew what HD-DVD was, or just kind of guessed/inferred/assumed from the name? Or thought HDDVD=DVD on a HD TV, etc... People have had "HD" shoved down their throats for the last few years, and people know what DVDs are... what the hell's a blue ray?

I still find most people I deal with (who I know aren't techies) have almost no idea there's a format war on... or that there's anything other than DVD.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives