Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Sony CEO Downplays Format War; Sees "Stalemate"

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Sony CEO Downplays Format War; Sees "Stalemate"

Postby Grain on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:13 pm

Finally, a little honesty from one of the camps! Both sides have been feeding us trollup for too long.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/sh ... emate/1160
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:37 pm

This does make me wonder if a big announcement is coming soon (like Warner going HD exclusive) that would pretty much mean the format war would never end, so we just need to get used to it.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:14 am

Justin42 wrote:This does make me wonder if a big announcement is coming soon (like Warner going HD exclusive) that would pretty much mean the format war would never end, so we just need to get used to it.

No, Warner going exclusive to either format would end the war most likely. They control far too many catalogue titles *AND* major blockbuster titles from this and recent years.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:09 pm

In my opinion...

If Warner goes HD DVD exclusive, both formats will continue to sell and attract new adopters.

If Warner goes Blu-ray Disc exclusive, it could seriously damage HD DVD, to the point of HD DVD going under. Or it could just continue the stalemate. So at this point, I feel that Warner is far more important to the HD DVD camp.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:59 pm

I think that Toshiba is banking heavily on the holiday season. No company can continue to lose money like they are on their HD DVD players. It's not like Sony and the PS3, where they can recoup the costs of the PS3 through games.

I think that Sony missed their chance to stick it to Toshiba. They had a huge lead earlier this year and instead of cutting prices, they milked their Blu-ray players for as much as they could. Also, their inability to price their Blu-ray player less than the PS3 is just assinine. The PS3 is a game console. It should be price at, or less, than a stand alone player.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives