Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Verbatim lists HD DVD-R media as 'discontinued'

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Verbatim lists HD DVD-R media as 'discontinued'

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:52 pm

I've asked to see if the product line is being replaced with say, '2x' HD DVD-R media.... but I suspect (since I know there was almost *zero* total sales) that Verbatim's #95359 1x HD DVD-R 1pk product, is just going the way of the Dodo.

I expect that #95531 (the dual layer bigger brother) will be following suit.

In other news, Verbatim also took this oppurtunity to add their new 4x BD-Rs to the price list. Taking into consideration the price drop on their 2x BD-R media (effective ~20min ago) the 4x media carries an approximate 55.6% premium on top of the 2x media (price wise).

Incidently, Verbatim's 2x BD-Rs now cost *EXACTLY* the same as the "cheaper" 1x 15GB HD DVD-Rs they just discontinued :wink:

Not a good day for the dozen or so people in North America with HD DVD-R burners :lol:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:19 am

Gen-An wrote:What do you make of this then? http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/De ... wsId=22499

You mean this?

http://www.maxell.co.jp/jpn/news/2008/news080214.html

And this?

http://www.mcmedia.co.jp/japanese/news/press/0073.html

The market for HD DVD-R media is much higher in Japan due to the settop recorders sold over there. It would make sense for them to continue to offer it over there.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:11 am

Japan's market is almost as non-existant as it is in North America.... but that key word there is ALMOST. There is still a difference between an almost non existant market, and a non-existant market.

That being said, Japan is funny. They use DVD-RDL over there.... it's the ONLY place in the world where it's actually selling (that I'm aware of). But Japan's high def market is still ~95% owned by Blu-Ray. But for some reason Maxell has a real soft spot for HD DVD.... it's mostly due to Hitachi's softspot for Blu-Ray that Maxell has any of the Blu-Ray technology they do. Verbatim and Maxell then partnered to fill in each other's gaps in HiDef technology. They even share time at the same manufacturing facility in Japan! :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Re: Verbatim lists HD DVD-R media as 'discontinued'

Postby Grain on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:36 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Not a good day for the dozen or so people in North America with HD DVD-R burners :lol:

:lol:
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives