Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Went purple today

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Went purple today

Postby Dartman on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:09 am

Well I really like my Toshiba HD-A2 player but it's starting to look like Blue will rule the world soon so I hit Circuit City after a Slick Deals post alerted me to their blowing out BD demo machines this week.
Walked over to the Demo table and there was a DMP-BD10A Panasonic that had a bunch of features, analog outs, component outs, HDMI, DVDRAM, DVD Audio, most of the hd audio formats, etc.
Asked about it and they said 189, I say can you do better, after a few no's the head guy comes up and drops it to 169 for me so I bought it :D
It's only profile 1.0 but most reviews claim it plays bd movies with excellent quality so now I'm purple and don't have to care what format my hd movie is on. Too bad it didn't have any free movies, but I did get the remote, manual, and power cord, and they said full warranty and return policy applies.
Anyways thought I'd share, also might help those of you wanting to go purple or just get a cheap blue machine.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:43 pm

Wow.... $169 is a pretty good price! I mean, yes, it's profile 1.0 only, but it's a seriously decent entry level player for the moment. You should be able to upgrade to a 2.0 player for ~$200 in the next 8-12 months probably anyways.

You deffinately made the right call :)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:59 pm

Thanks, it does have a TON of features, and the manager did say he thought it was even better then the current models they sell so Yeah couldn't pass it up after he knocked another 20 off.
I was hoping the war would continue a bit longer but it seems HD as far as new players and movies will be done fairly shortly so decided to go shopping while things are in limbo and some deals are to be had. The good thing is it has forced prices down for now as they jockey for a win and hopefully bd doesn't get greedy and jack prices back up.
I also hate how the first generation is the uber spendy, super spec, does it all machine, then once they get you hooked they drop prices a bit but also drop use full features to make more profit, plus the machines usually just don't work as well.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:26 pm

I've seen the cheaper Blu-ray player deals popping up, but I still can't recommend anything other than a PS3 due to it being profile future-proof.

My girlfriend wanted Rockband and Guitar Hero anyway, so I bit the bullet and purchased an 80GB PS3.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:18 pm

Well as long as the main movie plays I'll be happy for the price I paid. I even updated the firmware last night, took like 10 minutes off a CDR but it took and even saved all my previous settings.
I heard the one problem with a PS3 is they can't output the newer DTS HD and DD HD all the way so that's their one bad part if true, plus the damned price. I really don't want to use a game box just to watch movies, I have my box here for that.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives