Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Reuters confirms Toshiba to quit HD DVD production

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Reuters confirms Toshiba to quit HD DVD production

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:50 pm

Well guys, it's Saturday, but the news didn't stop flowing....

It started out like this:

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toshiba Corp is planning to stop production of equipment compatible with the HD DVD format for high-definition video, allowing the competing Blu-Ray camp a free run, public broadcaster NHK reported on Saturday.

Toshiba is expected to suffer losses amounting to tens of billions of yen (hundreds of millions of dollars) to scrap production of HD DVD players and recorders and other steps to exit the business, Japan's NHK said on its website.

No one at Toshiba could be reached for comment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyn ... 6120080216

Then hours later:

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toshiba Corp (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research) is planning to give up on its HD DVD format for high-definition video, conceding defeat to the competing Blu-Ray technology backed by Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research), a company source said on Saturday.

The company source told Reuters that Toshiba was in the final stages of planning to exit the HD DVD business and that an official decision would be made soon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/id ... 4620080216

And then finally...

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toshiba Corp (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research) is planning to give up on its HD DVD format for high definition DVDs, conceding defeat to the competing Blu-Ray technology backed by Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research), a company source said on Saturday.

The move will likely put an end to a battle that has gone on for several years between consortiums led by Toshiba and Sony vying to set the standard for the next-generation DVD and compatible video equipment.

A source at Toshiba confirmed an earlier report by public broadcaster NHK that it was getting ready to pull the plug.

"We have entered the final stage of planning to make our exit from the next generation DVD business," said the source, who asked not to be identified. He added that an official announcement could come as early as next week.

No one answered the phone at Toshiba's public relations office in Tokyo.

http://www.reuters.com/article/business ... nnel=10005

So there you go people.... Reuters has the inside scoop, and we should see an official announcement from Toshiba themselves within days.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:57 pm

Reports are now coming in from various retailers that Paramount movies have started POPPING up for order or pre-order on Blu-Ray. Including both Transformers (the newer version with the more emo optimus prime, not the original cartoon) and Blades of Glory.

One has to wonder if Paramount hasn't been secretly preparing for this since they went HD DVD exclusive? :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:54 pm

For the time being we the HD player owners (I have Toshiba "A3") have to use our play at the best we can and enjoy remarkable Quality HD Picture and not worry what will happen to the fate of HD format. Also after the funeral of HD we can still use these Player as up converting player which still give us the near quality of HD picture.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:20 pm

Well it sure happened way faster then any of us, even the bd fans, expected.
I figured they might even up after they dropped the player prices but just too much momentum on the BD side, then once Wally world gave up it's over.
And yes, at least the toshibas are excellent upconverters, but my new Panny Blue player seems to be just about equal on a few quick tests, so depends on the player on the Blue side of things.
I guess we'll get some more HD goodness at fire sale prices, and if anyone finds a HD XA2 it's sposed to have one of the best upconverting chipsets in a consumer player right now, my A2 does a steller job as well.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:07 pm

Roger that, Dartman, I'm going to keep my eye out for one.

Hox, let us know when BB drops them below $100. Thanks!
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Toshiba is denying it now..

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/ir/en/ne ... 218_01.htm

The media reported that Toshiba will discontinue its HD DVD business. Toshiba has not made any announcement concerning this. Although Toshiba is currently assessing its business strategies, no decision has been made at this moment.

I have a feeling that the decision has already been made. They're just don't have all of the details ironed out yet.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Wesociety on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:12 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Reports are now coming in from various retailers that Paramount movies have started POPPING up for order or pre-order on Blu-Ray.

What retailers?
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:18 pm

I believe Circuit City was one.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby SithTracy on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:30 pm

Ian wrote:I have a feeling that the decision has already been made. They're just don't have all of the details ironed out yet.

Yeah... they have to figure out who the "fall guy" is on this so he can be fired first. Then they will lay off a bunch of people... and then throw in the towel.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:00 pm

I also think it´s over

Who will buy a cheap player with no new movies?
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:28 pm

Scour wrote:I also think it´s over

Who will buy a cheap player with no new movies?

Me, for one. As I understand it, HD DVD players are great upscalers of std. def. DVDs. Standard DVDs played on a Toshiba HD DVD player and watched on HDTVs are almost as good as the HD DVD discs themselves.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:13 pm

My low bitrate tv dvd's I've made look great on the A2, almost never see any artifacts or anything, just nice smooth video. The panny bd player I just got looks really nice as well,but I think the Toshiba has a cleaner picture, plus it's very easy to redo capped hd video so it plays as a hd dvd on regular dvd media.
The xa2 or ax2 whatever it is is supposed to have a even better upscaling chip in it, a REON, and is better yet I've read. Plus it has more audio outs and things for folks that need them.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:46 pm

Some info from digitalbits.com

Okay... things are moving very fast now. Industry sources are telling us that Toshiba has a press event scheduled for tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday 5 PM Tokyo time), at which they're expected to make the announcement that they're quitting the HD-DVD format. That's just 8 1/2 hours from now. Rumor is that hardware and software sales will be discontinued in early March, but we expect official details soon. We'll post more on this as it comes in.
Also, we haven't confirmed this with the studio yet, but it seems likely: Format War Central is reporting that a Technicolor insider has informed them that work has stopped on CBS and Paramount's Star Trek: The Original Series Remastered - Season Two HD-DVD release. They're saying that Toshiba was financing the production as part of an exclusive arrangement to have the title on HD-DVD only, and they've now pulled the plug.

We expect that Paramount and Universal may have official comments of their own as early as tomorrow morning.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Halc on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:43 am

CowboySlim wrote:Me, for one. As I understand it, HD DVD players are great upscalers of std. def. DVDs. Standard DVDs played on a Toshiba HD DVD player and watched on HDTVs are almost as good as the HD DVD discs themselves.

This will only work in North America, because:

- no 99 USD HD DVD players anywhere else in the world
- why not buy that region free 59 USD dvd player instead

I think they'll have trouble clearing the inventory, even in the USA, not to mention in Europe, where the players still cost c. 400 USD at their cheapest AND the players are NOT region free (a major bummer).
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:06 am

Well from what I've read they claim that BD buried hd DVD over there anyways so nobody there will care. Most BD players here are still 300 bucks so I'm sure if it wasn't for the PS3 there wouldn't have been such a great adoption of BD either at those prices, but quite a few wanted to play games on a playstation, and gee, it plays those hd movies too. At this point it seems the player portion of the PS3 is now their selling point.
If they would have joined forces all this wouldn't have happened and we might have had a HD player that was full spec, one format, and maybe somewhat reasonably priced.
I don't think Toshiba will go broke from this, and Sony finally gets to claim a format victory for something they developed, even though it has cost them dearly in bribes and selling overpriced players at a supposed loss, though both sides played that game, Sony was just better at it this time.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives