Home News Reviews Forums Shop

George Carlin dead at 71

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

George Carlin dead at 71

Postby Ian on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:52 pm

Sad day. Carlin was one of the few comedians that I thought was truly funny.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080623/ts ... 0623155926

Stand-up comedian George Carlin, who became famous for his biting anti-establishment brand of humor, has died in Los Angeles, his publicist confirmed Monday. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart problems and had survived three previous heart attacks, died at the Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica on Sunday at about 6:00 pm (0100 GMT) after being admitted with chest pains.

The New York-born comic was best remembered for his famous routine "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television." The routine triggered a landmark Supreme Court lawsuit that shaped decency rules for US television and radio.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Re: George Carlin dead at 71

Postby Dartman on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:22 pm

Yup, it's a sad day. He played a lot of whacked out characters in movies right up till recently. I remember when my friend brought over the album with the seven dirty words and my mom sat there and listened to it with us, as each word hit, progressively getting worse, she sunk down in her chair another notch like she was getting hit in the head with a hammer, but she did laugh anyways.
He sure loved words and making fun of them and what they should mean. I think a lot of the later comedians got to do what they do now because he broke ground for them.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden