Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Cover Designer - Disc inner diameter question

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Cover Designer - Disc inner diameter question

Postby Pilgrim on Thu May 20, 2010 8:48 pm

I normally use Epson Print CD for my printable discs but I thought I would look at Nero Cover Designer and compare the two. What I would like to know is if there is a way to adjust the center diameter of the standard template. The default is about 43 mm but I use printable hub discs which are about 20 mm. Perhaps this adjustment is staring me in the face and I can't see it? Or, perhaps there is no option to adjust it?

Anyone have any helpful information in regard to adjusting the center hub diameter? Image
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Re: Cover Designer - Disc inner diameter question

Postby Ian on Fri May 21, 2010 9:41 am

You need to select the right paper stock.

Nero Coverdesigner.jpg
Nero Coverdesigner.jpg (108.69 KiB) Viewed 37565 times
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Pilgrim on Fri May 21, 2010 12:17 pm

Well, I found a paper stock that is close... older Epson Stylus Photo R200 (I have a R260) but the printable area appears to be for the standard 43mm size just like the one in your screenshot. The lighter ring in your screenshot is the printable area I'm wanting. But again, I don't seem to be able to find a way to extend the printable area to the hub (inner diameter). Am I missing something here? Maybe a new Template needs to be created which will have options for this adjustment? Image

nero_disc.jpg
nero_disc.jpg (40.04 KiB) Viewed 37539 times
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby redk9258 on Sun May 23, 2010 10:54 am

I think you will have to make a new template.
Before you start go to the one you want to modify and copy all information. (Epson R200)
Now go to File > Paper Stocks.
Highlight "User Defined Stocks".
Click "Add Stock"
Highlight "Stock 1".
In the box, change name from "Stock 1" to something like "Epson R260 Disc".
Add item > Disc
Click "Disc" on the left side.
Now set inner and outer radius (not diameter). I used 58.5mm and 10mm (this will give the 20mm inner diameter you wanted).
Now set the position copied from the R200 template. (X 16.5mm Y 9mm).

The sizes can be changed as required.

Make sure you do a print preview before actually printing to the printer if you can. I do not have an Epson printer anymore to test.

I attached a zip file containing a paper stock for the R260. You should be able to unzip it and import it as a paper stock.
Attachments
R260 disc.zip
(230 Bytes) Downloaded 1206 times
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun May 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks redk9258. I was wondering how to do that.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Pilgrim on Sun May 23, 2010 3:29 pm

redk9258 wrote:I think you will have to make a new template.

Excellent!

1. Thanks for the ".dat" file which I was able to quickly import. What program did you use to create it?

2. I also tried creating a new paper stock template and your destructions were perfect. Thanks!!

3. There is a problem, however, and that is the larger diameter circle itself is printed even though the inner diameter has been changed. See the screenshot below. I have an uneasy feeling that there is no way to remove this part of the template or to make an modification to the template so it doesn't print.

nero2.gif
nero2.gif (62.06 KiB) Viewed 37522 times

Addendum: I resolved #3. I found what I was looking for under "File/Options" - "Paper Stocks" (tab). Simply uncheck "Show default label metrics".

nero3.gif
nero3.gif (16.2 KiB) Viewed 37516 times
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby redk9258 on Sun May 23, 2010 4:59 pm

I made that dat file just like I posted above and then saved it by highlighting "User-defined Stocks" and export. I did a preview and even though the extra circle was originally shown, it did not show up in the actual print preview. I have a Canon printer and I can preview anything before the printer actually starts printing. Thanks for showing how to turn of that extra circle!

I used to have an Epson R200 but I trashed it was an ink hog and the ink cost more than the printer did (really). I hated how when you changed one cartridge it would suck about 20% of the ink out of the rest of the carts while it was "charging" the system. It did print to disc nice though. At least with Canon, changing one cart does not affect the others!
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby redk9258 on Sun May 23, 2010 5:15 pm

This is the preview I get with my Canon printer. See the red circle around the image. That's how you know you have things set close. Still may have to play around a little with the X, Y and radius settings to get it exactly right.

Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (97.77 KiB) Viewed 37516 times
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby Pilgrim on Sun May 23, 2010 8:13 pm

My wife's printer is a Canon IP4500 which I have read can be made to do "print-to-disc" and the tray is readily available on eBay. I don't have the issue with cartridges on my R260. And, in case you weren't aware, you can get very good prices on ink replacement cartridges at either of these two places, although the first doesn't carry the cartridges for some Epson models due to some new legal restriction implimented by Epson and the courts. At the second choice, remanufactured cartridges for my R260 are $23.99 for the complete set of 6. Even I can afford that.

1. Abacus 24-7
2. Rima.com
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby redk9258 on Sun May 23, 2010 9:42 pm

I have the Canon ip4500 and love it. I bought the CD tray from eBay and enabled it in the firmware. Works like a charm. I know you can get non genuine ink cheaper but that R200 printer really used to piss me off. Every time you looked at it, it had to do something to consume ink. Maybe they fixed that on your model. I don't do a lot of printing so the Canon cartridges last me over a year. Newegg has them 20% off right now so I just ordered a set. If I did a lot of printing, I would probably try refilling these. It seems like it would be pretty easy and there is a chip re-setter available now.
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby Pilgrim on Sun May 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Here is a set (4 cartridges) for the ip4500 from Rima for $12.00. They include the chip... no refilling, no resetting of chips, etc., ad nauseam. Just replace them and go for $3.00 each.

Re: enabling the ip4500... what I read came from here: Five Easy Steps. IF your way of enabling it in the firmware (sounds ominous) is easier, post your method or PM me if you would please. :)
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby redk9258 on Sun May 23, 2010 11:22 pm

Pilgrim wrote:Re: enabling the ip4500... what I read came from here: Five Easy Steps. IF your way of enabling it in the firmware (sounds ominous) is easier, post your method or PM me if you would please. :)

Yep, that is where I read how to enable disc printing. I enabled it first, then ordered the tray. It wasn't hard. Just follow thw instructions to a 'T'.
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby kernitoo on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:21 am

Hi everyone!

I've got the same problem of a too big hole (DVD print!), sigh!...
I've got a C5280 HP printer but, for Windows 10, HP provides a new driver file BUT without the CD/DVD print function!!!

With Nero CoverDesigner
- I always use "new document"
- I choose "custom" + I've got "Hewlett Packard print on CD/DVD" in the paper stock button in the menu (upper middle/right)
- I can print on my DVDs, it works, great!
- BUT the hole is much too big (the said disc inner diameter)

How can I modify this please?
I saw that the paper stock "Canon Pixma" is perfect (but I cannot use it with my HP)

I read the explanation in this thread.
For instance, I cannot understand "Before you start go to the one you want to modify and copy all information", how please? (if it's >edit >select all, it'^s grey, cannot use it?!)
I thought it was possible to take the Canon template and to install it as HP template, no?!

Thanks in advance for any help!
kernitoo
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)