Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LG WH10LS30, Will not read BD movies

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

LG WH10LS30, Will not read BD movies

Postby waveform on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:14 am

Hello
I'm not sure what to make of this, I spent two hours on the phone with LG, and they proved to have the same issue when they tried to recreate the problem on their XP system - Here is the deal:

I just installed an LG WH10LS30 BluRay drive, I can burn DVDs and CD-Rs fine, but the drive letter does not change when I stick a BR Movie in, in, and the drive shows 0 bytes for total size. Here is the strange part;
So I installed the Microsoft IMAPIv2.0 UDF2.5 XP update, at that point I was able to see the movie title on the drive letter in MyComputer and all files and folders on the drive were viewable. Now, one day later I'm getting nothing again, but I am able to play a BluRay movie through Power DVD.
I guess my question is, why am I noting seeing files on the drive? If this is in fact by design, why was I able to a view the contents the day before just after I updated the UDF2.5 patch? At this point, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if there is a software/hardware problem.

I'm Running XP spk3 by the way. I would be extremely grateful for any ideas I could get about this issue.

Thank you.
waveform
Buffer Underrun

Re: LG WH10LS30, Will not read BD movies

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:12 am

Do you have any packet writing software installed?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby waveform on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Hello Ian, thank you for your response!

I have ImgBurn, and I did have Nero 8.xx, but I removed it before installing the drive because the LG manual said to first uninstall any packet writing software like that.
Even if I install "all" the software from the LG software disk, I still can't view files on the bluRay movie disk. I can however load a movie through Power DVD.

One thing I have to mention again is, when I installed the IMAPI update (hosted at the link below) on Monday, I "was" able to see the movie label on the drive letter update to reflect the title of the movie, and I "was" also able to browse the files and folders of the disk. That was Monday 7th.
Code: Select all
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952011

Contrary to what others have said about XP not having support for UDF2.5. I understand XP does not support UDF2.5, or 2.6 native, but then why was I able to view the files immediately after I installed the IMAPI update, is what has me scratching my head. For one day at least. I haven't put Nero back on, I think I'll try that. I also have KM-Player installed, but I suppose I'm missing a codec of some kind? Or would that have anything to do with windows not being able to read the contents of the BluRay movie as it once did?

By the way, the movie is a store bought BluRay 6-disk set of the show, 24 Season 7, Dual Layer dts-HD.
waveform
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:45 pm

The codec shouldn't have any effect on your ability to view the files on the disc. I wonder if its an autoplay issue or something. I have a UH10LS20 installed in one of my computers. If I have some time tonite, I'll check and see if I can read the contents.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby waveform on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Hello Ian

I did have the Auto play group policy disabled, but I turned it back on, and it made no difference. The service person at LG hooked the same drive up to their XP test machine, and he said that he was having the same issue and that he would send a report to the developers. Now, like I was saying, I can watch a movie, actually when I stick a movie in, it automatically launches Power DVD, and begins playing, so that UDF 2.5 update did work to some extent. As far as not being able to view the files, I can view any files I burn myself, but I'm also using the 2.1UDF file system that ImgBurn defaults to.

by the way, not to spread any garbage around, but I'm really amazed at the decline in quality of support in the last 10 years among hardware and software manufactures. I spoke with three different support people because I was no happy with their lack of knowledge. I felt like I was telling them things to try. And two of them told me that this particular drive is shipped with firmware v2.1 Now this is after I read them the model number. But I already knew that I was running v1.0 on this drive, and there are no other updates atm.
This is the manufacture we're talking about here, how can they not know. I can understand one support rep making a simple mistake, but two of them makes me wonder about the consistency at the communication level. LG has been making great things for a long time, I just hope they're not getting too big for their customer base.
waveform
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:34 pm

You think thats bad. I often know more about a drive than the engineers in the States. To get the info I need, I have to talk to the folks who actually designed it.

Companies are also cutting costs left and right due to the economy and from pressure to make more money. As a result you get people who don't know the products and just read off a script.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby emanon on Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:44 pm

I realize this is an old post, but...

I just bought this drive and and having the same exact issue. Wondering if you ever found a resolution?

Thanks!
emanon
Buffer Underrun

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives