Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Where are my Outlook Express files located?

Anything else

Where are my Outlook Express files located?

Postby NuGuy on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:07 pm

I've tried like the devil to locate all my email messages saved on my HDD, but I can't find the folder. Many have photo attachments.

I have my email with my ISP set up to send (forward) them to my Outlook Express Inbox. From there I either delete them or save to to specific folders. I cannot find anything. I think (pretty sure that these are located within Documents & Settings, but I can't find them....

My computer is so, so buggy that I am going to have to reformat the C drive and reinstall everything (will do this via the rescue D drive on my somewhat old HP computer). I don't want to lose all those messages. I'll probably have to buy a new computer soon, but I have nothing to lose by trying this. Thanks.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Re: Where are my Outlook Express files located?

Postby Ian on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:58 pm

It's in the AppData folder which by default is hidden.

Here's the location in Windows 7.

C:\Users\userid\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby NuGuy on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks. I'm using XP and I don't seem to have that pathway... I've "clicked" around, trying various paths and folders, but can't find my email.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Try C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Otherwise search for *.pst files.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby NuGuy on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:09 pm

I don't know what's going on. I used "Search Companion" (Windows XP search feature) and entered ".pst" as part of the file name I was looking for on my C drive. The search did not find any such files.... ("Search is complete. There are no results to display.")
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:20 pm

open a command prompt, change to the root of C: and search for the file... Here are the commands to do it:

cd /d C:\
dir *.pst /s

It should tell you where the file is.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby NuGuy on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try a little later on. (I can't remember the last time I used a DOS command.... :) )
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby redk9258 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Outlook Express stores email in a .dbx file. It is located at..
C:\Documents and settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{long number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.
There are programs that can extract email messages from it. I think OE can also export the email to individual .eml files.
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby NuGuy on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. I finally was able to find my files. (And I won't describe the process and reveal how I realized what a knuklehead I was... :-? )

Saving those files as .eml for future use is a great idea; I mean, that's the point, isn't it? I think I read somewhere that Win7 doesn't have Outlook Express (or even Outlook?). Anyway, this is an essential step, something that did not occur to me. Thanks.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:05 am

Don't even use a mail client these days. Have Thunderbird, but I rarely use it. Use Outlook @ the office -- rubbish. Switched from Lotus Notes... thought Outlook was supposed to be a step up... NOT! Never bothered with OE... Used to use Eudora. Web based mail has been my friend for years... I keep Thunderbird around for the Enigmail OpenPGP plugin. Sometimes have a need to send a secure message.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:35 pm

NuGuy wrote:Saving those files as .eml for future use is a great idea; I mean, that's the point, isn't it? I think I read somewhere that Win7 doesn't have Outlook Express (or even Outlook?). Anyway, this is an essential step, something that did not occur to me. Thanks.

It's now called Windows Live Mail. It's part of the Live suite that you download. I use it myself. The only issue I have is when my stupid coworkers sign their email with a cert that has multiple email addresses in it.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to General Software Questions