Home News Reviews Forums Shop

New modified LG drive with BD-R XL scanning WH16NS48DQ

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

New modified LG drive with BD-R XL scanning WH16NS48DQ

Postby Halc on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:13 am

There's a new drive, modified by Vinpower, that supports scanning of BD-R XL discs using Plextools Lite:

The model number is: Vinpower LG BH16NS48DQ aka WH16NS48DUP-QS

Yss from Japan has already analyzed/reviewed it at:

http://yss.la.coocan.jp/wh16ns48dq/wh16ns48dq_top.htm

It is meant for North and South American markets, but funnily enough I've only been able to find it for sale in Japan (and the seller does NOT ship outside Japan).

If anybody know where/how to buy this and get it shipped to Europe (within EU), please chime in.

Theoretically it should be for sale in USA, but all the usual online sources are showing it's not avaible.
Halc
CD-RW Player

Re: New modified LG drive with BD-R XL scanning WH16NS48DQ

Postby Ian on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:10 am

Interesting. Looks like they're taking drives that were manufactured a year ago and flashing them with a custom firmware.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Halc on Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:25 pm

I'm not sure it's like that.

I think it's modifications designed by Vinpower and manufactured straight by H L Data (Hitachi LG Data), which is the manufacturer of the drive.

I've ordered one from Japan (!). I'll report back when I get it.
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:38 pm

I reached out to Vinpower and asked about this drive. It was co-developed with HLDS and is intended primarily for duplicators (which makes sense with "DUP" being in the model name). In North and South America, they're focusing on the duplicator market and they haven't approached retailers yet because they're not sure if there would be any demand for this drive.

If you don't mind me asking... how much did you pay for it?
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Halc on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:14 am

Thanks for finding out, Ian!

I paid a hefty sum for the drive, because all sellers I was able to find are in Japan and only one - out of the many I reached out to - was willing to to ship to Europe. I could not find a single seller in the whole of Americas (North or South) - I searched quite a bit.

The damage so far, along with bank transfer payment costs (banks really fleece you on Europe-Asia transfer costs) is c. 195 USD. When I finally receive the package, I'll have to pay additional 24% VAT on top of that and perhaps a small customs tax, so I'm guessing it'll come to around 250USD, give or take a few bucks.

However, if it allows me to get at least one drive's approximation of BD-R XL burn quality, it'll be worth it for me. I don't know any other BDXL capable drive able to report errors beyond the 50GB mark. If anybody else knows, please let us others know too :-)
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:04 pm

Wow, that's a big pile of cash for an optical drive. How hard is it to get BDXL media in Europe?
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Halc on Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:00 am

Yes, the price is high, but it's the only drive available to consumers, that I know of, that can report error rates for BDXL discs.

Verbatim BD-R XL 100GB 2-4x is c. 68€ for 5 disc retail pack (c. 15.5USD/disc, delivered). I don't buy other brands yet, but will try Japanese ones as soon as I can find a good seller on eBay with decent prices.
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:02 pm

Vinpower sent me some more info on the modifications they made to this drive. Sounds pretty badass IMO.

1) Drive enhancements for the burning process

a. Secure Media Speed Stability - Ensures that media duplication speed does not exceed encoded maximum rates to provide better burning control and virtually eliminates bad burns.

b. Enhanced Recording Stabilization Control - Ensures all drives in a single duplication environment burn uniformly to avoid disproportionate speed fluctuations, which lead either to failed discs or less compatible completed discs.

c. Stable Recording Control - The drives have an extensive database of media specs and are better able to communicate and convey these details while burning the disc(s) at ultimate speed.

d. Stable burning throughout – Provides consistent and reliable burning of any file type for the duration of the duplication progress to ensure the recorded media has far greater reliability of playback or that the discs will successfully copy to begin with.

e. Archival Burning Capability - Able to burn virtually all makes of specialty archival media, including the 1000 year M-Disc brand.

f. Enhanced Burning Compatibility for all recordable Blu-ray formats.

2) BDXL support

a. Enhanced Compatibility for BDXL 100GB & 128GB media – Able to record multiple formats of BD-R media, including the high capacity BDXL format.

3) Analyzing software

a. Vinpower developed an analyzing software that tests the media burned, especially for BD and BDXL formats, to gauge the quality of the disc and the content on the disc. The standard version of the software can check the PI/PO rating to determine if the disc is showing any degradation and whether the content holder should re-copy that content in the distant future, near future, or immediately to maintain the integrity of the content.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Well would certainly love to own one of those but the toy budget isn't what it used to be. Need to get a newer bd burner sometime. My lg h20l bd/HD burner reader works fine but doesn't support some of the newest media at all and would love to do quality scans like I do with my 1655, even if I hardly burn disks anymore.
Of course my first gen Panasonic player takes forever to load some of the new disks out now and refuses to play or properly play some TV show bd disks I tried to make. Nice thing though it's immune to the latest copy protection scheme as last firmware update was Aug 2008
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:11 am

@Dartman,

if you ask directly from Vinpower (in the USA) you should be able to buy it for c. 70USD (+pp).
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:44 am

I'll have to consider that, not that bad considering what all it can do, thanks.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:40 pm

$70 for an optical drive? Do they think its 2005? ;)
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Halc on Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:01 am

Heh, true :-D

I wouldn't mind paying $300 USD for an optical drive, IF and ONLY IF:

1. It burned BD-R DL / TL / QL at 6x almost flawlessly (LDC<13, BIS<8)
2. I could buy good quality (near archival grade) BD-R TL 100GB discs for 5USD/piece.

As it now stands, neither is anywhere true, so I won't pay that much, even though Pioneer BDR-S09J-X is available for near $300 USD :-D

http.//j.mp/23L9QsZ
Halc
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives