Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Intel discontinuing the 545s SSD

In depth discussions on hard drives, SSDs, RAID setups and network storage systems.

Intel discontinuing the 545s SSD

Postby stix on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:54 pm

anybody know what's up with Intel discontinuing the 545s line of solid state drives? Can't even download the "data migration" software anymore.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/80098/memory-and-storage/ssd-software/intel-data-migration-software.html

The Intel® Data Migration Software has reached End of Life and is no longer supported through Phone, Chat, or Online Service Requests.
Self Help will continue to be available until December 31, 2020.

I still have a couple of these drives in use.
Fortunately they are not my main drives.
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Re: Intel discontinuing the 545s SSD

Postby Ian on Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:29 pm

According to Google, the old app couldn't update the firmware on Intel's enterprise SSDs. It's been replaced by the Intel Memory and Storage Tool:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30058?v=t
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby stix on Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:48 pm

The "Intel memory and Storage Tool" replaces the "Intel SSD Toolbox". I was referring to the "Intel Data Migration software" which is used to clone a HDD to a SSD, and is no longer available for download.
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:28 am

Sorry. Blame it on the eggnog. ;)

If you're just looking for software to migrate from one drive to another, Parted Magic is worth buying
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby stix on Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:54 pm

And speaking of eggnog, Merry Christmas and have a Happy New year!

I neglected to mention I still have a copy of Intel's migration software from days gone by. I'm just surprised they aren't allowing people to download it anymore for use with their Intel drives.

Thanks for the heads-up on Parted Magic. I suppose Parted Magic is more sophisticated tool ( ? ), but I have become very comfortable with the free versions of Acronis True Image that are available from Western Digital, Seagate and Crucial/Micron. So far I haven't had a need for anything else for cloning, partitioning and backup images.
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:43 pm

Thanks. You too!

It probably comes down to support costs. They probably don't want to pay people to update the code and/or answer questions regarding it.

Parted Magic is linux that runs off a flash drive. It's got a bunch of tools that will let you edit your partitions, clone drives, erase disks, etc. It also has some recovery capabilities but I've never used them.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to Hard Drives and Solid State Drives (SSD)