Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Reading hotburn disks in xp

Anything else

Reading hotburn disks in xp

Postby Tania on Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:00 pm

I have been given a couple of cd-rw data cds which someone burnt by using UDF Hotburn software. I have XP and I can't access them. Is there a way for me to read them, short of buying and installing Hotburn which I don't really want to do?
Tania
Buffer Underrun

Re: Reading hotburn disks in xp

Postby cfitz on Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:11 pm

Tania wrote:Is there a way for me to read them, short of buying and installing Hotburn which I don't really want to do?

Is that even possible anymore? After Iomega bought Asimware I thought they dropped production and support of Hotburn. :(

I suppose there is no chance of getting those discs reburnt in standard ISO format?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Reading Hotburn disks in xp

Postby Tania on Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:08 am

No, they can't be re-burnt. My colleague gave me important backups he made through Hotburn before leaving the business and I'm keen on restoring these files in my XP system. Any way anyone can think of I can do this, please?
Tania
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:11 pm

Have you tried any other company's free UDF reader software?

Roxio
Adaptec

I'm not a UDF user, but after all the acronym does stand for Universal Disk Format, so it would seem that other UDF readers ought to be able to read UDF discs created by Hotburn... :-?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:53 am

my windowsXP can read UDF discs (at least by DirectCD) even without packet-writing software or a UDF reader installed.
i think this is built into winXP.
so i doubt a UDF reader by roxio or ahead will help...apparently this Hotburn is a nonstandard thing...
but it's worth a try...good suggestion cfitz.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Inertia on Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:14 am

HotBurn and HotBurn Pro and updates are still available at the Iomega site.

The software is neglected and semi-obsolete. Iomega seems to be making no effort to promote it, and may primarily use it for their own rebadged drives. Although the drag & drop packet writing software is mentioned, there is no information about support of any UDF standards. There are also no UDF readers on the site.

One possible solution to your problem is to find someone in your local area that has the HotBurn software on their computer using any Windows operating system. The discs could then be read and burned to a standard ISO 9660 CDR. The software is packaged with Iomega drives, so it may not be too difficult a task to find someone with the software.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Return to General Software Questions