Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Overburning problem w/Nero

Burn baby burn!

Overburning problem w/Nero

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:02 am

I am using the latest version of Nero with a Lite-On 48125W drive. I have enabled Overburning w/Max Len. at 120Min, DAO and 4x speed Finalize Disc.
However, Nero always spits my disc out and says "not enough space".

CDSpeed's Overburning test just says writing finished without any errors, try raising max capacity. (It's set to 99:99:99, the highest it'll go in CDSpeed).

So: How do I get Nero to shut up and burn the stupid disc? Waving my gun at the computer had no effect :)

If something similar has been posted before, I apologize. I did not see anything like it and the seach function does not work for me :(
glock20rocks

Re: Overburning problem w/Nero

Postby cfitz on Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:28 am

glock20rocks wrote:So: How do I get Nero to shut up and burn the stupid disc? Waving my gun at the computer had no effect :)

You can't just wave the gun - Nero is made of tougher stuff than that. You have to actually pull the trigger... :wink:

Seriously, have read our good friend Spazmogen's nicely detailed explanation?

http://www3.sympatico.ca/brad.ormsby/

Inertia also had some helpful comments:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 9520#39520

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Robotnik on Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:28 am

Same thing was happening to me a few days back. I could not get Nero to overburn - no matter what setting I had on. What solved it for me was upgrading from verison 5.5.9.14 to 5.5.9.17. The it stopped complaining.
Memorex 52Maxx 52/24/52
MSI CR40-A 40x 12x 40x
Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R 2.4/2.4/8 DVDRW, 12/10/32 CDRW
Optorite DD0203
Robotnik
CD-RW Thug

Postby sonyman on Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:31 am

What is the capacity of the discs you are burning? You will have to use 99 minute discs to achieve a large overburn. The average max for 80 minute media is around 82 minutes although it varies. A typical result with 99 minute media is around 100 minutes althout I think the Lite-On can "only" do up to 99:95. (I am not quite sure about the max overburn though so don't hold me to it).

-Scott
Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
Intel Pentium 4 3GHz
1024MB PC3700 DDR @400MHz CL2
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Sony DRU-500A
Lite-On LTR-52327S 52x32x52
sonyman
CD-RW Thug

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:38 am

Thanks for the links, but on my system when I tell Nero to write the CD it comes up with a dialog box saying to insert a disc with sufficent capacity (I don't get the overburn warning).
I've double-checked all the settings; they are the same. I'm using Nero 5.5.9.17.

And, um, I HAVE pulled the trigger on a system once. Out in a field though :) Nothing like opening up with 16 rounds of .357 on an old Pentium system :)
glock20rocks

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:47 am

The discs are 80 min. Fuji's (TY's). CDSpeed tests ok up to 99+min., unless it's buggy (Buggy? Nah, never :))...
glock20rocks

Postby sonyman on Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:57 am

glock20rocks wrote:The discs are 80 min. Fuji's (TY's). CDSpeed tests ok up to 99+min., unless it's buggy (Buggy? Nah, never :))...
If it is saying 99 minutes on 80 minute Fujis then it is definately incorrect. There is no way to fit 99 minutes on an 80 minute CD-R.

-Scott
Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
Intel Pentium 4 3GHz
1024MB PC3700 DDR @400MHz CL2
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Sony DRU-500A
Lite-On LTR-52327S 52x32x52
sonyman
CD-RW Thug

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:05 am

Ahh, the joys of buggy software.
The thing is, Nero won't let me overburn at all. Not so much as 1 minute.
It never pops up a warning, just says to insert a larger disc.
glock20rocks

Postby cfitz on Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:20 am

Are you sure you enabled overburning in File->Preferences->Expert Features? It sure sounds like you haven't.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:24 am

Overburn DAO mode is enabled, max length set for 120 minutes...I've got everything setup just like here http://www3.sympatico.ca/brad.ormsby/,
but no go :(
glock20rocks

Postby Inertia on Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:50 am

glock20rocks,

If your LTR-48125W is using firmware VS08, then it has lost the ability to get usable results from the CD Speed overburn test. This is a firmware issue that does not appear in earlier versions of the firmware. Nevertheless, VS08 is the best all around firmware in spite of this glitch.

Reflashing to a earlier firmware is an option for running the CD Speed overburn test, but I wouldn't recommend it. Most 80 minute CDR's can overburn from about 81.5 to 82.5 minutes. If you can spare a disc for testing, record an audio disc with extended length source material beyond the expected overburn capacity. When the burn eventually fails, the point at which it fails will be the overburn capacity of that disc. The audio disc will still be playable, and the total minutes of the disc is the total overburn capacity.

I will repeat the Nero overburn instructions:

An 800 MB (90 minute) disc is a nonstandard length. Any disc over 700 MB (80 minutes) must use Nero overburn settings to allow it to be burned. Use the following settings for a data disk:

1. Don't use the Nero Wizard. It will not allow overburning as it defaults to Track-At-Once. If it is active, close it.

2. Multisession | No Multisession must be checked

3. ISO | Check Mode 1 and Joliet

4. Burn | Check Write and Finalize CD (No further writing possible). Write method must be Disk-At-Once.

5. In the main menu, File | Preferences | Expert Settings check "Enable overburn disk-at-once burning". If you are using a 800 MB data disc, you can set the Maximum CD length to 90 minutes 0 seconds 0 frm. Hit Apply, then OK. If you are using a 650 or 700 MB data disc, use the overburn capacity test in Nero CD Speed to estimate the maximum overburn capacity. If for some reason the test doesn't work, create an audio overburn test disc to determine the overburn capacity. Use the determined overburn capacity in Expert Settings.

6. The Red and Yellow marker settings in File | Preferences | General Settings have no effect on burning or overburning. They are there just as a visual aid.

These settings should allow you to attempt an overburn if your recorder and the media support it.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:53 am

Hmmm.... Perhaps you should put down the Ruger and try threatening it with the Desert Eagle. :D

This didn't make any difference on my machine, so it probably won't on yours either, but try setting the overburn limit to less than 100 minutes. You'll never get 120 minutes on any CD, so there is an outside possibility that setting is causing you problems. Make it reasonable as Inertia suggests.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:33 pm

I've tried the overburn setting at 90/99min with the same results. :(
Even with just a little data over the 80 minute mark, Nero still wants a larger disc.

Thanks for the info guys! To bad about the VS08 firmware :(
Maybe it's a Nero issue ? Nero may just not like something in my system...

Oh, the Desert Eagle had the same effect as the Ruger :)

I'll just give up for now and try buying some 99min. discs...thanks again!
glock20rocks

Postby Inertia on Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:34 pm

Nero will work if it is set up properly. What is the file size that you are trying to burn?

Did you disable the Nero Wizard?
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:51 pm

Wizard is disabled, the total file size is around 706MG. I've tripled-checked all the settings; Nero just won't show the Overburning warning right before a burn and instead insists on a larger disc. Doesn't matter if the CD is 1MG or 80MG over normal size :(
glock20rocks

Postby Inertia on Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:52 am

Hmm. That's odd. I have the same burner and firmware, and overburning 706 MB with Nero is a piece of cake.

I know that this is not what you want to hear, but this type of problem is usually due to user error. I am not trying to be sarcastic, but if you go back (I know you've triple checked :)) and use the instructions that I've posted, it is possible that something has been overlooked.

Usually the only reason that the overburn choice doesn't pop up is because the Wizard is used, or Multisession is enabled, or the "Enable overburn 'disc at once' burning" box is not checked in Expert Features. If all of the instructions check out, I suppose there could be a problem with the Nero installation.

I know that you're ready to give up,;) but if you have any energy left to work on this unusual problem, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling Nero to see if it helps.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives