Home News Reviews Forums Shop

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error

Postby timw on Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:53 pm

I just installed a new Plextor combo 320A drive. It is the only device on my primary IDE channel (as master obviously). On the secondary IDE channel, I've moved my hard drive (IBM deskstar 60 GXP) to the master slot, and my old CDROM (Panasonic 52x) to the slave slot.

Now, the problem is, when I boot (Windows 2000), I get the Windows stop error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, complete with blue screen. Why? I don't know. What I do know is that this error goes away when I disconnect my Panasonic CDROM, and let the hard drive have the secondary IDE channel all to itself. Weird huh? So the problem isn't the hard drive or anything. All the jumper settings look OK as well.

Also the error occurs AFTER Windows starts booting, not right away like as if Windows couldn't find the hard drive or anything.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Looking at other forums it seems there is some weirdness with IBM GXP drives, but those mostly occurred in RAID systems.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Tim
timw
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:21 pm

The hard drive needs to be master on the primary channel. Boot order is determined by placement on the IDE channels, and right now your system is trying to boot from the Plextor since it is master on the primary. Obviously, this won't do. Swap the Plextor and the hard drive.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby timw on Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:39 pm

Yeah I just did what I should have done in the first place and read the rests of the posts. I put the HD/CDROM on the primary IDE channel and that fixed it.

Cheers dude!
timw
Buffer Underrun

Re: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error

Postby vxd*.* on Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:00 am

[quote="timw"]I just installed a new Plextor combo 320A drive. It is the only device on my primary IDE channel (as master obviously). On the secondary IDE channel, I've moved my hard drive (IBM deskstar 60 GXP) to the master slot, and my old CDROM (Panasonic 52x) to the slave slot.

Now, the problem is, when I boot (Windows 2000), I get the Windows stop error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, complete with blue screen. Why? I don't know. What I do know is that this error goes away when I disconnect my Panasonic CDROM, and let the hard drive have the secondary IDE channel all to itself. Weird huh? So the problem isn't the hard drive or anything. All the jumper settings look OK as well.

Also the error occurs AFTER Windows starts booting, not right away like as if Windows couldn't find the hard drive or anything.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Looking at other forums it seems there is some weirdness with IBM GXP drives, but those mostly occurred in RAID systems.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Tim[/quote]
Why do I receive an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error when I set up a Promise Ultra100 storage controller card on a Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0 system?

B>A. As vendors create new types of hardware, Microsoft attempts to add the drivers into the next version of Windows. For example, Windows XP natively supports Ultra ATA-100 drivers, Win2K natively supports ATA-66 drivers, and NT 4.0 doesn't support either out of the box.

To add ATA-100 driver support to Win2K and NT 4.0, you must treat the Promise Ultra100 card as if it were a SCSI controller, even though it's an IDE card. To configure the driver, perform the following steps:

Go to the Tech Support section of the Promise Web site, and download the appropriate driver for the Ultra100 card.
Extract the downloaded zip file to a 3.5" disk, which will create a txtsetup.oem file in the 3.5" disk's root directory.
Start the Windows installation.
When the system prompts you to install a third-party RAID or SCSI controller, press F6.
Point the installer to the txtsetup.oem file on your 3.5" disk; the system will continue with the installation.

In general, whenever you get an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error, always check to ensure that Windows supports your disk controller; otherwise, you'll need to install the controller driver manually.
More at google.com.
type in
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
vxd*.*
Buffer Underrun

Postby blakerwry on Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:42 am

vxd, that was trash....
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion