Home News Reviews Forums Shop

High CPU usage with Lite-on LTR 48126s

Burn baby burn!

High CPU usage with Lite-on LTR 48126s

Postby talon on Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:56 am

High my new and shiny Lite on drive works fine except when I tested the CPU usage it 's 22% at 8x and 15% at 4x. This is too high.

Yea it's DMA enabled and all the test are fine except this one. I updated the firmware the latest and still it is high. It is on the Secondary IDE all by itself and set to master so I am confused about this. Did I get a bad drive? Any and all help is appreciated. This forum ROCKS! Thanks Ian for your hard work.

T out
talon
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:47 pm

What motherboard do you have? Is it connected to the on board IDE or to a RAID controller or something?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby talon on Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:07 pm

I have an Iwill kk266. no raid just primary and secondary ide controllers. I had an LG 16x4 on it and it worked fine. Does it have anything to do with it working in udma 33? I wouln't think so as it supports 33 on the secondary and 66 on the primary I believe.

My hard drive and cdrom are on the primary as master and slave. Should I try another setup? I always thought it was best to have a burner on the secondary all by itself. My Cdrom is an old TDK 8x burner as slave on the master. So this is new new technology for me. Aslo I am running XP pro.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

T
talon
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:11 pm

What chipset does that mobo use?
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby cfitz on Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:10 pm

CDSpeed's CPU usage test isn't trustworthy:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 6489#36489

If everything else works fine with your drive, I wouldn't worry about the CPU usage reported by CDSpeed.

What does the Windows performance monitor show as actual CPU usage while you are burning?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby talon on Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:49 pm

The Iwill kk266 is using a via chipset. don't remember which one as the mother board is a year and a half old at least. I do notice no slow down when opening the browser and surfing the web while burning so I thought it is ok no matter what is stated, but little things that don't match with Ian's reviews bother me. Would updating the busmaster drivers maybe have some thing to do with it. anyone with a VIA mother board care to comment? It is the only thing that I have loaded even though I read somewhere with Win XP you don't need to load the VIA Busmaster drivers I did for a video problem I was having with my ATI Radeon 8500.
Maybe I should try uninstalling them. Oh man here goes my weekend... :wink:
talon
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:32 pm

Talon, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :wink: :P

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:12 pm

You could try updating the 4in1's, but like cfitz said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You also need to remember that you're not going to get the same results we do. Even if you had a similar computer, the results can vary.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby talon on Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:19 pm

Thanks cfitz and Ian. I will sit on it a while and buy a good cdrom to do cd to cd first and then maybe I will look at it.

Thanks for all the help!!! You guys ROCK 8)
talon
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:12 am

I don't disagree that the CD Speed CPU test may have accuracy problems, but I have found it to be useful from a relative reading standpoint. The values given do not represent CPU usage without DMA. In fact, I can generally troubleshoot DMA problems by having someone run a CPU usage test at 8x with CD Speed. If DMA is not enabled, CPU usage frequently jumps to 50-60% or so.

22% is in the high range for a CD Speed CPU utilization test at 8x. However, in my experience, the high speed Lite-on drives tend to be CPU utilization hogs on this test compared to other burners. Therefore, I would say that this is a normal reading for this drive on this test.;)
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives