Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1402 -> drag songs from CD goes slow

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1402 -> drag songs from CD goes slow

Postby rclayton17 on Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:56 am

Hey all, when I'm using an older version of nero right now (5.0.1.6 OEM) which works fine right now.

I tried using newer versions of nero before, and when i am trying to create an audio cd, i drag songs from audio cds, it goes very slowly (this is not burning, just making the playlist for my new cd), and i have no clue why. So i have been just sticking with the old nero which works fast.

Im about to get a new burner to replace my 2yr old 10x Hewlett-Packard burner, so i'll probably be using a new version of nero to take advantage of the new burner.

Anyone hear of my problem before? I wanna figure out how to fix this problem. Thanks for any help. SOrry for my weird sentences. I'm tired and im about to fall asleep.
rclayton17
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:24 pm

Are you using a CDROM drive as the source for dragging over the files in Nero?

If you place the audio CD in your recorder, and then drag them over into Nero, does it go much faster?

It could be that the CDROM.CFG file has incorrect Audio Extraction speeds set for your drive in the new releases of Nero.

You can try copying the CDROM.CFG file from the old version of Nero, and then when you install the new versoin of Nero, rename the CDROM.CFG file to .bac that is currently in the Nero directory, and copy over this older one, and see if that has an affect.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby rclayton17 on Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:43 pm

um, i thought the toshiba dvd-rom was doing that process slowly..

my new lite on burner does it slow, too... but slightly faster. I think my old hp 10x burner (which isn't in the comp anymore) went fast with newer versions of nero, maybe im wrong tho.

Do you think that the newer versions of nero just handle it differently? like a higher quality scan?

Hey all, could you please count how many seconds it takes to drag a song from an audio cd to the playlist? (and say how long the song is)
rclayton17
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:01 pm

It takes about 12 seconds to extract a 5:05 song on both my LiteOn 166S DVD-ROM drive and LiteOn 48246S CD-RW drive.

From the main menu of Nero, select "File->Compilation Info...", then choose the "CDA Options" tab and check to see what is the read speed setting for the drive from which you are extracting the audio.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby rclayton17 on Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:07 pm

which one are you using? im using the default, which is diskspace strategy... i guess that makes sense in taking longer, cuz it's caching them on your harddrive.

Thanks for the help
rclayton17
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:23 pm

rclayton17 wrote:which one are you using? im using the default, which is diskspace strategy

No, look below that. In the box underneath the "Device name Speed" label, highlight the drive with the source CD. Then see what "Read speed:" is selected in the drop-down box.

As to your specific question, mine also has "Diskspace strategy (default)" selected.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby rclayton17 on Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:53 pm

um, its at the right read speed.. 40x for the dvd, and the lite-on 48x burner WAS at 12x b4, but i just turned on the comp after cleaning the dust out, and its at 48x now, but um, is it the "diskspace strategy" or the "cache the disk on harddisk b4 burning" checkbox option that makes it go slow?
rclayton17
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)