Home News Reviews Forums Shop

A CD encoded in an unknown format - What is it?

Burn baby burn!

A CD encoded in an unknown format - What is it?

Postby dy on Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:57 pm

A very strange thing:

I recieved a "blank" Memorex CD-R bundled with a new LG-CW16-8160B CD-Rewritable drive, distributed by Pine. The drive works fine, as does the Roxio application software. The weirdness is that the "blank" CD isn't blank! It looks to be about 3/5 full. Placing it into the CD-R drive causes it to do the usual sizing and calibration stuff, then the Read lamp comes on and flickers rapidly, like data is being read at a high rate of speed, but otherwise nothing happens except that any program that attempts to access this drive hangs for a long time. Even the eject button on the drive itself takes a very long time to respond. I've tried to read this disc in a regular CD drive, and don't get any of the above mentioned effects, other than nothing seems to be able to recogize the format.
I know this is a minor issue, and i certainly have better ways to waste my time, but I'm Dying to know what's on this. Any ideas about how i can find out, and make the drive behave with this disc? - Thanks
dy
Buffer Underrun

Re: A CD encoded in an unknown format - What is it?

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:58 pm

dy wrote:It looks to be about 3/5 full.

how did you figure that out, as you can't read the disc?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby glock20rocks on Sat Nov 30, 2002 10:34 pm

On most discs you can look at the bottom of it and see how much is written...thus Yamaha's Disk T@2...
glock20rocks

Postby BillyG on Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:00 am

I think you got a bad CD-R... instead of wasting time figuring whats on it, just toss it in the trash can! :P
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives