Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Digital Audio output from DVD-ROM

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Digital Audio output from DVD-ROM

Postby timw on Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:39 pm

Potentially stupid question:

What is the "digital output" for on the back of a DVD-ROM drive? I also have a "digital input" on my sound card (Soundblaster Live 5.1). These can be connected by a two-pin cable, similar to the "analog" one used to connect a CD-ROM to a cound card. This "analog" one is a four-pin cable and is the one I'm used to seeing.

My question is this, do I need this digital cable hooked up to experience digital sound? My DVD-ROM (Plextor PlexCombo 320A) and my sound card (Soundblaster Live 5.1) and my speakers (Creative 5.1 6-speaker dolby thingy) all support digital sound (I'm pretty sure anyways).

Right now I just have the analog cable connecting the DVD player and the sound card.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks
timw
Buffer Underrun

Re: Digital Audio output from DVD-ROM

Postby cfitz on Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:43 pm

timw wrote:My question is this, do I need this digital cable hooked up to experience digital sound?

No you don't. If you enable digital CD playback on your drives they will send the digital audio data over the same flat ribbon cable used to send all the other data. Check the properties of your drive in the device manager - you will find a check-box you can use to enable digital CD playback.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby timw on Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:48 pm

So would that be the same for DVD playback as well? The reason I ask is someone said that I might need this cable connected in order to enable Surround Sound. My main concern is for DVD movies, since I only watch them on my PC and I don't have a proper "home entertainment system".
timw
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:04 pm

Yes, that would be the same for DVD playback. As for surround sound, you can't get surround sound through the analog connector, since it supplies only the two traditional left and right stereo channels. Of course, to enjoy surround sound you also need a sound card that supports surround sound and multi-speaker system hooked up to it.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby timw on Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:16 pm

Thanks again cfitz. I didn't think it was too important, because neither the DVD-ROM or the sound card came with the bloody cable, and I couldn't see myself bothering to try and find one somewhere.
timw
Buffer Underrun

Postby Robotnik on Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:07 pm

I have never seen such a cable, but I would like to buy one anyway, even though it might be superfluous. Anyone know where I can get a digital audio cable, please?
Memorex 52Maxx 52/24/52
MSI CR40-A 40x 12x 40x
Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R 2.4/2.4/8 DVDRW, 12/10/32 CDRW
Optorite DD0203
Robotnik
CD-RW Thug

Postby vbl117 on Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:58 am

It's difficult to find them though they're costless ( 1 or 2 euros ? ).
Most of the time they are bundled with some soundcards with both 4 pins/2pins interface .
Most of motherboards with integrated audio only have 4 pins interface .
Some small retailers sell digital audio cable , sometimes some supermarket stores .
Internet , of course
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers