Home News Reviews Forums Shop

FAT 32 or NTFS??

Anything else

FAT 32 or NTFS??

Postby coolestnitish on Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:46 pm

As the holiday season approaches, so does the time for me to do my yearly clean install :lol: . I will format my drives and re-install Win XP Pro. I have 2 hard drives - Maxtor 10gb 7200rpm ATA 100, and a Maxtor 40 GB 7200rpm ATA 133. Till now I have been using FAT32 as the file system. I wanted to know is I should switch over to NTFS and give up the good old FAT32? What are the advantages and disadvantages of NTFS? I have heard that it is slower in some cases compared to FAT 32. The most important thing to me is the speed of the drives. Will it slow down my system?
Microsoft claims that if "properly maintained, NTFS is faster". Well its their newer product so they will say its better, but I want to get a first hand experience from people who are using NTFS. I do like to play quite a lot of games off the drives, so is NTFS really worth the switch-over? Thanks for the replies in advance!
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
Never in this world can hatred be stilled by hatred; it will be stilled only by non-hatred - this is the law Eternal.
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:46 pm

This subject matter was discussed in this thread.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6069
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:07 pm

BuddhaTB wrote:This subject matter was discussed in this thread.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6069

hey, i was gonna say that... :D
you beat me to it, BuddhaTB!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby coolestnitish on Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:46 pm

Sorry about posting this thread uselessly. I should have looked into that topic before. :oops:
Well, I read the posts there and read more benchmarks and stuff about NTFS. I have decided to go for it.
There is also some mention of NTFS5. I learnt that its mainly for Win2K. Any advantages of that one other than the ones for administrators or business users?
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
Never in this world can hatred be stilled by hatred; it will be stilled only by non-hatred - this is the law Eternal.
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Return to General Software Questions