Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Police Cars From Around The World

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Police Cars From Around The World

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:47 am

I'm just glad the police here doesn't have Skylines, RX-7's, WRX's, Evol's or that Jag.
Subaru WRX
Nissan R34 Skyline GT-R
Mazda RX-7
Mercedes Benz A-Class
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI
Jaguar XJ220
Chevrolet Camaro
Chevrolet Corvette C5

Anyone know where some of these Police Cars come from?
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:47 am

The Nissan and Mazda are with Japanese police departments.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Virtua Trancer on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:47 am

the subara impreza wrx is from somewhere in canada with the RCMP, however i dont know where as i never seen a subaru police car
Virtua Trancer
Buffer Underrun

And the Camaro from Wyoming - look at the plate.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

The Corvette - Bloomfield Hills Michigan

http://flabs.hypermart.net/police2.shtml
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Spazmogen on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:48 am

Virtua Trancer wrote:the subara impreza wrx is from somewhere in canada with the RCMP, however i dont know where as i never seen a subaru police car

Sharp looking car.

I've heard that FORD has 'Police Package' of the new Mercury Marauder with a big v8. Police Package usually has a larger engine and better suspension than the retail version. Some of our older Chevy's had corvette engines...but that was about 6 years ago.

I spoke to 2 officer's that got to take out on the test track for an afternoon.

They said it has more Horse Power than anything in recent years and it stops on half a dime. It should be good for pursuits.

Each of them was very impressed.

But I have no pictures of it yet.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:48 am

Yeah, but which of these cop cars is actually practical? I vote for the Mercedes A-class!
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:54 am

That's an old pic of the RCMP WRX. I think only 2 were experimented with but it never came into service.

In Canada, specifically Ontario:

Our Crown Victorias have Corvette engines!

We also use Lumina's and "Impala's". Also Cherokee's and Jimmy's are used.

I've seen a Monte Carlo and Taurus used on our major hwy. but they are hard to spot b/c they do not have the typical police package. Instead they look like any other stock MC or Taurus but with rust and/or tinted windows.

I remember an old Car&Driver issue where Arizona State Troopers had acquired a Porsche 956 [Sports Prototype] and used it as a pursuit vehicle.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:55 am

Action Jackson wrote:Our Crown Victorias have Corvette engines!

We also use Lumina's and "Impala's". Also Cherokee's and Jimmy's are used.

I've seen a Monte Carlo and Taurus used on our major hwy. but they are hard to spot b/c they do not have the typical police package. Instead they look like any other stock MC or Taurus but with rust and/or tinted windows.

The Ford Crown Vic has never had the Chevy Corvette engine (wrong manufacturer). The Chevy Caprice had it. The Caprice was too big a car to make it run good, it also had a governor @ 220km/hr but it took forever to get up to that speed.

Ford has made a version of the Crown Vic (police package again) but put the Marauder engine into it. This will make it more affordable for more forces to buy. I hope they didn't install a governor...

The Lumina & Impala are a really small car for police work.
I was in one 2 weeks ago for our new radio training. I'm 6'2" and 220lbs. & the car was a cage car. I had my knees up under the steering wheel, and it was nearly impossible to drive. Add a shot gun rack and radio to a small car...there's NO room to move. That's before you get a 2nd officer in the car after midnight.

I'm glad I'm a dispatcher, not an officer.

Sorry AJ. I had to correct you about the Crown Vic.

But you're dead on about the new unmarked cars. Even I have a hard time locating them out on the highway, and I know what I'm looking for!
I was really surprised to see a Camero in Toronto on the Garnder.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:58 am

I've talk to a mechanic who has worked on Crown Vic police cars and he was surprised to see a Chevy engine in it too. I can't say that all police Crown Vic's have the Vette engine in it though.

I talked to someone else whose dad purchased a police Crown Vic to be used in fleet/taxi service and - there was a Vette engine under the hood. Again I can't say that all the CV's have the Chevy engine.

Those articles that Car&Driver and World of Wheels do on police vehicles do not convey the true performance of pursuit vehicles. They test them with police packages but with the stock engine. Indeed C&D tested a Caprice with it's puny stock engine.

I think the Crown Vic's with the stock engine and roof light package can get up to 238 kph according to World of Wheels.

The Camaro, well I've seen it sitting behind the underpass on the DVP all the time. I've always learned to slow down to the flow of traffic as I approach the underpasses.

The Maurader engine should be nice. Can you ask around about the Vette engine?
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:58 am

This puzzles me, why would Ford put a Chevy engine into their own Crown Victoria's? Is Ford truely admitting that chevy engines are far better than their own Ford engines? Why doesn't Ford just put one of their V6 or V8 Mustang engine's into the Crown Victoria instead of a chevy corvette engine? Just food for thought.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:58 am

Frankly, who cares about Ford or Chevy? I hate American cars, and I am an American myself! Sorry, but foreign car manufacturers make better cars than American manufacturers.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:59 am

BuddhaTB wrote:This puzzles me, why would Ford put a Chevy engine into their own Crown Victoria's? Is Ford truely admitting that chevy engines are far better than their own Ford engines? Why doesn't Ford just put one of their V6 or V8 Mustang engine's into the Crown Victoria instead of a chevy corvette engine? Just food for thought.

Ford's not doing it.

If anyone's doing it, it's an after delivery thing.

No police force has the budget to buy a new car, install the radio (usually worth as much as the car), a Mobile Display Terminal (MDT) then change out the engine.

I spoke to an officer this morning, it was the Caprice that came with the Vette engine installed from the factory.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:59 am

TheWizard wrote:Frankly, who cares about Ford or Chevy? I hate American cars, and I am an American myself! Sorry, but foreign car manufacturers make better cars than American manufacturers.

hear hear!
my sentiments exactly!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Action Jackson on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:59 am

BuddhaTB wrote:This puzzles me, why would Ford put a Chevy engine into their own Crown Victoria's? Is Ford truely admitting that chevy engines are far better than their own Ford engines? Why doesn't Ford just put one of their V6 or V8 Mustang engine's into the Crown Victoria instead of a chevy corvette engine? Just food for thought.

Now that I remember it, the Crown Vic's don't come from the factory with the Vette powerplant. The mechanics swap the engine after delivery.

At the time, Ford didn't really have any engine comparible to the Vette for the price.

So my guess is that some of the Durham [where that mechanic I talked to works] police force has some pretty darn fast pursuit vehicles.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 6:00 am

TheWizard wrote:Frankly, who cares about Ford or Chevy? I hate American cars, and I am an American myself! Sorry, but foreign car manufacturers make better cars than American manufacturers.

I totally AGREE. Cars From Japan, Germany, and Italy are the best in the world. Mercedes Benz might possibly be the best of them ALL.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Thu Jan 01, 1970 6:01 am

Indeed, Daimler Benz is way ahead of their time, nobody compares with their craftsmanship and ingenuity.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby BodHack on Thu Jan 01, 1970 6:22 am

Looks to me like the Mitsubishi Evo VI is a photo taken somewhere in Britain*...but I've certainly never seen an Evo VI police car - the newer cars are generally Volvos and Range Rovers

The XJ220 looks like it says "Grampian Police" on the side which is again british, and the number plate looks just like english ones do, so that must've been taken in England too...but I'd say the chances of ever seeing that on the road here are seriously slim!
[just noticed steering wheel on the right, as well]

I heard one of the police forces here bought a few Porche 928s for high speed work, but again, never seen them or heard anything more.

At a guess, I'd say the A-class is in Spain (or perhaps Italy)...my Spanish is very poor, but I think POLICIA is spanish - correct me if I'm wrong!

And just my opinion on cars in general - I'm looking forward to getting a Volkswagen (or Audi) Turbo Diesel when I've got the money to afford it. I can't say that I have any experience of American cars beyond being in one or perhaps 3 occasions, but the Germans really have got a good thing going with their cars - I can't imagine anyone being better at the end of the day!

*the hint is the way that it's rained recently ;) ...oh, and the colour scheme is just right with the reflective paint down the side...
BodHack
Buffer Underrun

Postby Heil mercedes! on Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:10 pm

I didnt realize there were so many nazis with small dicks on this site!
the only thing the germans ever built that worked were weapons ( you know the ones that bombed NOT saved england! )and gas chambers! ( do we need to go there do-dec? ) like the english would have any idea about cars anyway let alone an israeli
you need to go take a look out on the street do-dec and tell me how many israeli made cars you see and then come back and tell me what makes you such an expert anyway, and no you cant count the child killing merkeva as a car although it does have something in common with nazi made weapons

you guys should stick to something you know and NOT something you have no idea about!

THE PRICE OF A CAR IS IN DIRECT CORRELATION TO THE SIZE OF A MANS WILLY! TRYING TO IMPRESS SOMEONE WITH MONEY BECAUSE YOU ARE UNABLE TO IMPRESS THEM WITH PERSONALITY!
GET A LIFE LOSERS!
Heil mercedes!

Postby Heil mercedes! on Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:14 pm

I wonder how long this post will stay up till some nazi deletes it!

the only reason there are vw's is because of hitler! only the germans could build something so pathetic looking!
Heil mercedes!

Postby Spazmogen on Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:21 pm

Heil mercedes! wrote:I wonder how long this post will stay up till some nazi deletes it!

the only reason there are vw's is because of hitler! only the germans could build something so pathetic looking!

The post may stay. It may not.

They'll probably ban you from ever posting again.

dodecahedron is a MOD here. And a nice guy too!

It's not wise to piss on a MOD or the ADMIN.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:36 pm

You are a sad and pathetic person, whoever you are hiding behind your anonymous "Heil mercedes!" persona. I normally don't respond to flame bait like yours, but your post is hateful enough that I must publicly condemn it. I can only hope that someday you will see the light and turn away from your destructive ways.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Ian on Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:52 pm

Keep the talk clean. If you have a personal vendetta against Germans, Nazis or German cars.. take it else where please. I really don't want to be a "forum Nazi" and start banning people from the forum.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:32 am

Those two post just showed how ignorant and hateful you are, Heil mercedes. I have so many things to say in regard to that flame, but I'm just going to be hold myself back or else there would be a 1000 word or more reply to it.

Germany & Japanese Cars All The Way!
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Dec 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Sigh.. where do these idiots come from? It's not like anyone was even talking about VW's or Mercedes.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Next

Return to The Beer Garden