Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Help to select cd-rw.....

Burn baby burn!

Help to select cd-rw.....

Postby eBast on Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:57 am

Hi all, i am new here, guess i will find help in this forum :D

guys, i would like to buy a cd rw for my system- amd athlon 2000+, 256 mb, win xp sp 1. this is my first writer and am new to this cd burnig stuff. i will be using it to burn photographs, my word and excel documents, system backup and occasionally mp3s.. wont be using it continuously ...like once in a week maybe. :lol:

i would like yur choice on drives, speed is not a matter, i have all the time in the world to write cds :wink: . just want a reliable, no headache one and .....easy on the pocket also :P

and what do you guys think of the combo drives ? are they worth it ?

please help
eBast
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:03 am

Lite-On is a good brand to look into and Best Buy has a really great deal this week on a Lite-On drive. Its a BUSlink 48x12x48 for $24.99 after mail-in rebates. The deal is only good until Wednesday of this week though. It's a Lite-On drive straight out of the box and will work really well for what your planning on using your CD burner for. You won't be dissapointed with a Lite-On and its the best bang for the buck.

You can read a review on the drive here:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=131

Check out the deal here:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7629

Also check out the hot deals section for good buys on cd-rw drives.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby coolestnitish on Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:11 am

Hey, BuddhaTB had a good suggestion about the LiteOn. I don't think he realized there is no BestBuy in India. So i'll give you some more suggestions. LG is pretty big in India, so try getting their drives, they are reliable and work solidly. I don't know if LiteOn is easily available either.
As per the combo drives, again, DVDs aren't that famous in India yet, so why spend the extra money?? but if you got some extra cash lying around, by all means go for them. LG has the 32x/16x combo drive. It would be better if you could find out what drives are easily available, then we would be able to help better.
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
Never in this world can hatred be stilled by hatred; it will be stilled only by non-hatred - this is the law Eternal.
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby eBast on Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:16 am

Thnks for the advice, buddha, but i have a problem, i am based in india and it is not possible for me to order online stuff......... at least right now

i have been browsing through this forum for a couple of days now and has come to the conclusion that liteon ones are the best around... the problem is that the local store here doesnt stock a liteon one, only sony 48x, sony 32x and benq 32x ones are in stock

i have read the reviews of both, and they seem to be good. there price is around 4000 Rs (83 $) do you guys think they are worth it and what about their preformance ?

and what about the combo drives ?
eBast
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:17 am

coolestnitish wrote:Hey, BuddhaTB had a good suggestion about the LiteOn. I don't think he realized there is no BestBuy in India.

My Bad. Thanks for the correction coolestnitish. I didn't realize he was from India.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:18 am

eBast wrote:i have been browsing through this forum for a couple of days now and has come to the conclusion that liteon ones are the best around... the problem is that the local store here doesnt stock a liteon one, only sony 48x, sony 32x and benq 32x ones are in stock

Both the Sony 48x and 32x are made by Lite-On, so they are very nice drives.
Last edited by BuddhaTB on Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby eBast on Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:21 am

you said it coolestnitish no online buying in india....

as for the brands available, sony and benq ready off shelf, may be the strore can order any other brand for me... but is it necessary ?

as for dvd's yes it is not that common in India, but it is still around neverthless. and i donot have money to throw around.... :wink:

one of my frends who have a samsung combo drive is having probs reading cds written in it on other computers i.e. why i am asking around
eBast
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:23 am

eBast wrote:the local store here doesnt stock a liteon one, only sony 48x, sony 32x and benq 32x ones are in stock

From that particular selection the choice is clear: pick one of the Sony drives (depending on whether the speed or the cost is more important to you - personally I would go for the 48x, but you can read the reviews here and decide for yourself). By the way the 48x is definitely made by LiteOn, and I believe the 32x is also. Stay away from Benq (formerly Acer). They make poor quality drives compared to LiteOn/Sony.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby eliminator on Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:34 am

Welcome aboard eBast !
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby EdT on Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:58 am

Lite-On: Noisy, Fast, cost effective

LG: Quiet, quality build, cost effective, reliable, stylish
EdT
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:19 am

Lite-On makes high quality drives that are very reliable too. And if you want a stylish Lite-On, just look at the TDK line of CD-RW drives.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:25 am

eBast: If your choices are limited to a Sony or BenQ, go for the Sony.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby coolestnitish on Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:21 am

Yea I would agree go for the Sony, and then maybe flash it to LiteOn's firmware :wink:
So then you will have a drive which performs like a LiteOn. I don't know what speeds of the drive are available in your area. But I thought as LG electronics was so big in India, you'd be able to find their drives too. I remember recently there was a person on these forums from Bangalore, India who said the LG 48x was available for Rupees 4000 something.
I would also suggest looking at the media available in your area If you can't find media compatible with faster than 32x, then no point in getting a 48x drive.
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
Never in this world can hatred be stilled by hatred; it will be stilled only by non-hatred - this is the law Eternal.
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby eBast on Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:47 am

good God, i AM getting a good response here, thanks all... :D

guess i will settle for either the sony 48 x or 32 x.... wait i'll just ask my dealer, if he can get anything else especially the LG one as coolestnitish suggested, and post it here for more opinions... if not it will be the sony for me.. :P

and i will also check on the media available...

by the way i am from KERALA, we call it 'Gods own country' ever heard of it guys ?
eBast
Buffer Underrun

Postby coolestnitish on Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:16 am

No I have never of that. 8) lol. Anyways, there's nothing wrong with Sony that you should bother to look for the LG.
Good luck with your drive!
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby eBast on Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:34 am

Hi all, :) back after a long time... and i did buy the sony cd-rw thanks all you guys for helping me out.... :wink:

i am using nero software and its going on well..

now i need to back up my c: drive, with an imaging software... which one do you guys recommend ? i've heard of norton ghost and some body told me of Acronis true image. any of you guys using these ? please advice a good drive imaging software

eBast
eBast
Buffer Underrun

Postby DawnLoader on Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:45 am

eBast wrote:Hi all, :) back after a long time... and i did buy the sony cd-rw thanks all you guys for helping me out.... :wink:

i am using nero software and its going on well..

now i need to back up my c: drive, with an imaging software... which one do you guys recommend ? i've heard of norton ghost and some body told me of Acronis true image. any of you guys using these ? please advice a good drive imaging software

eBast

I have used Norton Ghost many times and have never heard of Acronis but I am happy with Ghost so no need to look further. I save image of my C: drive into my D: drive. I don't clone it, I just save the image file and restore it back when needed.
DawnLoader
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives