Home News Reviews Forums Shop

FirmWire update failure!

Burn baby burn!

FirmWire update failure!

Postby Tcy on Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:20 am

I bought a MSI Dragon Writer yesterday.I install that on secondary master and my original cd-rom set to slave.It is no problem when booting
the system and my computer also can detect that.Then I installed Nero burning rom and start burning. But,it was unsucessful.I tried audio cd, data cd and cd copy. The rom ejected out and display 'waiting for media ,please insert cd-r/cd-rw'. I tried several disks but no respond.

Then I go to Msi's page to download the FirmWire the version is 140D.
The instrution say it must run in real dos mode, but I can't shut down the windows to Dos mode, it was no respond and nothing on the screen.Then I reboot my computer ,when starting windows 98, I pressed F8 and choose prompt and command only. ThenI type I typed 140D.bin and it show update sucessfully and I reboot my computer. I start Nero again and check the information on the driver. It show normally which can display the modal number, supported speed and the firmWire version is 140D.

When I burn as before ,It show 'Invalide in parameter' or 'Invalide in command' and can't make the burn is the seleted speed. I tried different speed also like this.

What can I do now, I didn't backup the firmwire before. I want to find out is the problem of the firmwire or the problem of the drive. What should I do now?
Tcy
Buffer Underrun

Postby vbl117 on Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:56 am

I start Nero again and check the information on the driver. It show normally which can display the modal number, supported speed and the firmWire version is 140D.

So , it seems that you firmware flash was successful . But have you checked the specifications of your drive in MSI website ?
Because MSI sells drives from two manufacturers . And the Firmware is only for one of the two models of drives ( the second model is not shown on MSI website ) .

If it is the good Firmware , perhaps you have not installed nero aspi for windows 98 ( one must be added manually ) or your drive has some manufacturing defects .

Download NEASPIFR.EXE at http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#c1023694368810

After extracting the aspi , read the "readme.txt" to know where to install/check the aspi ( it's short and easy ) .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby Tcy on Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:37 am

I download the file and copy that in the directories and reboot my computer. When burn, it also display 'Invalide field in parameter'
Do you this it is drive faliure?
Tcy
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spazmogen on Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:41 am

1) Which drive are you using? CR48-A (MS-8348A) 48x16x48x ( Firmware 1.40D )or is it this one: CR40-A2 (MS-8340S) 40x12x48x (Firmware 1.20D)?

2) did Nero come with this drive, or did you buy it ?

If your BIOS/Windows & Nero all see the drive with the new firmware, then as vbl117 said-the firmware upgrade went ok.

The problem lies with Nero somewhere.

You are inserting the blank disc with the correct side up aren't you?
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby vbl117 on Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:15 am

quote="Spazmogen"]1) Which drive are you using? CR48-A (MS-8348A) 48x16x48x ( Firmware 1.40D )or is it this one: CR40-A2 (MS-8340S) 40x12x48x (Firmware 1.20D)?
[/quote]

I was unclear .
I mean that MSI sells drives from Benq and another manufacturer as MSI dragonwriter CDRW drives .
40X and 48x Benq drives and firmware are not shown on MSI website .
On MSI website you can only see the MSI dragonwriter 40X and 48X with exactlink anticoaster technology ( perhaps cyberdrive is the manufacturer ) .
I was not talking about confusing about 40X and 48X drives .

So , have you checked drive specifications on MSI website aand are they identicals to your drive specifications ?

What says "Nero infotool" about "system aspi" ?

Too early to say it's a drive failure ( it's possible ) .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby Tcy on Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:00 pm

Nero is coming with the Drive.I checked the specilization on the site and the box of the drive. It is 8438a as I saw it supports exactlink and the others are the same. So, I download the firmwire 140d .
I surely put the disk on the right side. I even put the blank cd-r coming with the drive also didn't work.
Do anything I not do when I using a new cd writer?
Tcy
Buffer Underrun

Postby vbl117 on Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:25 pm

Good . So now we are sure that you have flashed with the good firmware and the flash was succesfull .
You have not made a mistake ( though flash in false dos mode was a bit risky ) .
Maybe a compatibility problem betwwen software and firmware .
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAn ... 8c,00.html

have you enabled dma and exactlink ?

download cdrwin3.9B demo version . install it , and try to copy/burn a cd .
http://www.goldenhawk.com/download.htm

if it works we can be sure that nero is involved in the issue .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby Tcy on Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:55 pm

I downloaded the cdrwin3.9b and install it. It cannot detect my drive.
In nero, the dma mode and exactlink is activated.When I press the burn button , I only can choose burn and cannot choose "test only" and "test and burn" Is is a problem?
Tcy
Buffer Underrun

Postby vbl117 on Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:28 pm

In nero, the dma mode and exactlink is activated.When I press the burn button , I only can choose burn and cannot choose "test only" and "test and burn" Is is a problem
[/quote]

sometimes "test" cannot be selected because i have chosen the "virtual image recorder" from nero as recorder/burner instead of my CD/RW .
Burner/Choose the burner ( check if it's the real burner which is selected else select it ) .

For CDRWIN in device properties / writing / ( try to select your burner ) .
In my CDRWIN version there is a bug , i can select my burner but the writing device keep on being on " virtual cd/dvd " ( change cannot be applied ) .
Nevertheless CDRWIN uses my CD/RW drive .
In one CDRWIN window there is my CD/RW drive name with a black cross next which means this is the recorder used .

Check these things .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby Tcy on Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:11 am

For CDRWIN in device properties / writing / , it displays no supported device installed.
In nero, I sure I chose the real burner.
Tcy
Buffer Underrun

Postby vbl117 on Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:27 am

Ok . try to install the latest aspi layer ( system aspi ) from adaptec and reboot .
Check with nero infotool system aspi after that . If it is ok , try to burn .

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/suppor ... _471a2.exe

You can try to set your CD/RW drive as master alone ( without the cd-rom drive ) then to set it as slave ( and the cd-rom drive as master ) .
Sometimes there is some weird issues .

You can try to uninstall your cd/rw drive in peripherals list ( at reboot it ll be redetected , i use this trick for some DMA issues under windows XP ).

if you have installed a virtual cd-rom/dvd-rom drive device uninstall it .

If it doesn't work may be you should go to your retailer to obtain a new drive or send a report/mail to MSI because in this case i think the drive can have some materials defects .

To your retailer say that nor nero nor cdrwin are able to use the drive on your computer and that it must have some defect .

Anyone has other ideas ?

if you want another reply from me or another people you should better to post your system config .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby Tcy on Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:25 am

Now, I installed the newest via4-in-one as I am using MVP3 chipset and the writer work well.
thank you for all help.
Tcy
Buffer Underrun

Postby vbl117 on Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:35 pm

MVP3 means ? ( i don't know this chipset though i know a lot of via chipsets for amd processors ) .
Glad you solved the issue by yourself .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:22 pm

vbl117 wrote:MVP3 means ? ( i don't know this chipset though i know a lot of via chipsets for amd processors ) .

It's probably before your time. :wink: The MVP3 was one of VIA's socket 7 chipsets.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/MVP3.jsp
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby vbl117 on Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:43 pm

:oops: :wink: Yes , at this time i was not interested in computers .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby forbjok on Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:26 am

installing the Via 4-in-1 solved a problem with cds being recorded with lots of errors using my old HP 8100i.

Did it work without the via driver, before you flashed your firmware?
- This calls for divine intervention...
- I kick ass 4 the lord
forbjok
Buffer Underrun

Postby vbl117 on Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:41 am

from what i have understood he had flashed his firmware because he could not burn any cd ......
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby Tcy on Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:31 am

It didn't work wheter old or new firmwire was used .It works after the via driver installed.
Tcy
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives