Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Problems using help.......

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Problems using help.......

Postby pranav81 on Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:46 am

I have a retail version of Nero 5.5.9.14.I recently saw the new upgrade on the Ahead site.I downloaded the new upgrade version 5.5.9.17.I installed it as a upgrade on the system.Everything worked fine,it also is fine now.
But the problem that I am facing now is that,whenever I click Help contents in any Nero window a dialog box appears saying that "nero.hlp not found.Do you want to find the file now?"
I tried searching the whole computer for the file.I cant find it.It was surely there before I installed the 5.5.9.17 upgrade.
Can anyone suggest me a solution.Please dont suggest me to download the 5.5.9.17 upgrade again as it is a very painful task here in India,as the connection is damn slow.
Everything else is fine,except help.
Waiting for some replies.......
Thanks a lot......
Pranav.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:25 am

Oops, I am going to suggest another download. But not the 5.5.9.17 upgrade again. Instead, download the help files installer from a little further down the page on the Nero download site:

http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#download

Another 5.3 MBytes... sorry :(

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby KCK on Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:55 am

cfitz:

pranav81 is missing Nero.hlp from C:\Program Files\ahead\Nero. If he downloads Nero 5.5 Language pack| English, in view of Important Additional Information, I'm not sure he will get it.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:54 am

Newer versions of Nero don't use the nero.hlp file anymore (I'm not sure when the switch was made). They use compiled html help files (e.g. NeroBurningRom_eng.chm).

I had the same problem as pranav81, and was able to correct it by downloading and running the English language pack. The English language pack contains the help files, and only the help files:

www.nero.com wrote:The english language includes only the helpfiles, because the language files for the program itself are already included in the demoversion or update.

Hopefully pranav81 will have the same success I had.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby KCK on Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:52 pm

cfitz:

On my XP Pro box with Nero 5.5.9.17, the only *.chm file in Ahead's subdirectories is

C:\Program Files\ahead\Nero ToolKit\CDSPEED.CHM

As for NeroBurningRom_ENG.chm, I have it only stored in NeroBurningRom_ENG.ZIP, a file downloaded separately from Ahead's website some time ago, and kept in my personal archive.

So let's hope pranav81 doesn't waiste his time on the 5.3MB download...
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:28 pm

KCK, I don't know how you got to version 5.5.9.17. I suspect that you have been upgrading in stages from earlier versions and still have an old nero.hlp file in your Nero folder. And the reason you don't have any other .chm files in your folder is that you never installed the new language pack with the new html help files.

To be sure, I just downloaded both Nero55917.exe (the latest 'c' sub-release) and n55917eng.exe from http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#download , and proceeded to do a clean install of just Nero 5.5.9.17 (Nero55917.exe only) on a machine that didn't have any previous copy of Nero installed.

The installation did not include any help files. Neither nero.hlp nor NeroBurningRom_ENG.chm were included. As expected, when I ran Nero and selected help, I was presented with the error message "Cannot find the C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero\nero.hlp file".

Next, I installed the English language pack by running n55917eng.exe (the file I suggested that pranav81 download). It installed correctly and copied the NeroBurningRom_ENG.chm file, among others, into the Nero directory. Now when I select help in Nero the help system displays correctly.

You might want to install the language pack yourself so that you have the most up-to-date help file.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:44 pm

the funny thing is that NeroBurningRom_eng.chm is 324K, NeroExpress_eng.chm is 2313K !!! NeroCoverDesigner_eng.chm is 1516K, NeroWaveEditor_eng.chm is 1044K. most of that download (n55917eng.exe) is stuff i don't use! :o

(by the way, is CDSpeed.chm included in the n55917eng.exe language help file too?)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby KCK on Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:55 pm

cfitz:

You were right (as always): I had to upgrade from an OEM version, and I never installed any language pack. Now I'll wait until Nero 5.5.10.0 becomes official to see if Ahead's help policy remains the same.

BTW, since I can find my OEM registration key in the registry, do you think I could get a clean installation of Nero by removing the current one, downloading the demo/update version from Ahead, and installing it with my registration key? If I recall correctly, you were also using OEM versions, so maybe you explored this aspect.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:04 am

KCK wrote:BTW, since I can find my OEM registration key in the registry, do you think I could get a clean installation of Nero by removing the current one, downloading the demo/update version from Ahead, and installing it with my registration key?

yes, you can do this.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby KCK on Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:18 am

Thanks a lot; I'll check it out with Nero 5.5.10.0!
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:30 am

dodecahedron wrote:the funny thing is that NeroBurningRom_eng.chm is 324K, NeroExpress_eng.chm is 2313K !!! NeroCoverDesigner_eng.chm is 1516K, NeroWaveEditor_eng.chm is 1044K. most of that download (n55917eng.exe) is stuff i don't use! :o

Yes, I noticed that too. The help file for the program I use is an order of magnitude smaller than those for the programs I don't use. :( Although it doesn't help those suffering through long downloads over slow modems, look at it this way: there is more help available for the programs you don't use very often and, thus, probably have a greater need for help with. :-? Actually, I suspect the extra weight of the other help files is composed mainly of screen shots.

dodecahedron wrote:(by the way, is CDSpeed.chm included in the n55917eng.exe language help file too?)

No. Get it directly from cdspeed2000.com: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_100.chm
(an updated help file for 1.02 hasn't yet been posted)

KCK wrote:You were right (as always)

Me? Always right??? You obviously haven't been reading enough of my posts... :wink: :D Just check this post from today for a good counter example: http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 5285#45285

KCK wrote:BTW, since I can find my OEM registration key in the registry, do you think I could get a clean installation of Nero by removing the current one, downloading the demo/update version from Ahead, and installing it with my registration key?

As dodecahedron noted, yes you can do this. That is the procedure I have been following for a while now.

By the way, I agree with your decision to wait for 5.5.10.0 to become official on the Nero web site before bothering to download and install the help files. No sense in doing that now if another release is imminent.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby KCK on Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:45 am

OK, let's qualify it by saying you are almost always right in the long run; there is always initial oscillation in these threads, but what matters is the final outcome. :D
KCK
CD-RW Player

Thanks a lot......

Postby pranav81 on Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:49 am

Thanks guys for the replies.I think I have no other option other than to download the language pack as specified by you all.Its good to know that the language pack size is about 5 MB.I may be able to download that within few hours.
Thanks guys once again...

Pranav
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)