Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Verifying Integrity of Copy

Anything else

Postby NuGuy on Wed Dec 31, 1969 9:18 pm

I finally got around to installing my Lite-On 24x burner, its accompanying Nero Burning ROM, and CloneCD (the 21-day trial version I mentioned elsewhere). My first ever burn experience was to copy a commercial disc of sample games, etc. via CloneCD, selecting only "ProtCD" and just allowing any other default values ride (both read & write via image with only the Lite-On). (Why would I want to select anything other than 'ProtCD,' the 'universal' read/write protocol!?)

Anyway, the copy seems to be OK -- boots automatically, and all the links (of the ones that I tried) on various the menus on this disc seem to work.

BUT how can I verify that the entire disc is truly complete or functional without spending hours (in some cases, I'm sure) using it. FOR EXAMPLE, most large computer tech books (e.g., repairing & upgrading a PC) have an accompanying disc containing the book's entire contents. This could well be nearLY 2000 pages of text and images. Without actually looking at each page of the book on the the copy, how can I verify that my copy is complete (no missing data, pages, images) and functional?

As always, I welcome all comments and thoughts. Thanks.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby johnsees on Wed Dec 31, 1969 9:49 pm

I,too, would love to find something to verify that a copied CD is really accurate. I saw that this post was really old with no responses, so I looked (and looked and looked) around the web, and found a grand total of one program that claims to do this. It's called (of all things) CD-R Verifier. There's a link to it at cdrinfo website. It costs $25. Just found it last night; don't know if I'm going to buy it or not. Let me know if you found something else already.
johnsees
Buffer Underrun

Postby NuGuy on Wed Dec 31, 1969 9:50 pm

Thanks. No, I haven't found anything, but I really haven't looked very much either. From the reading I do at this site, I get the feeling that the final report the software program that does the burning provides at the end of the burn can be trusted. I don't know for sure. As you noticed, there wasn't any interest in this topic; apparently the software report is enough, combined with trying out the copy. But simply trying out a copied disc may not uncover errors right away, especially if it's complex. I have a copy of a textbook on ROM that seems just fine, until you try to play one of its video clips; doesn't work. Fortunately these can be run (but not conveniently) by accessing the clip via Explorer.

I've only copied a few discs so far, on both CloneCD and Nero, and all burns concluded with the 'successful' burn notice. All burns were done via an image of the disc, trying not to invoke that burn-proof feature of my drive.

I'll check out the program you mentioned. Thanks again.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby ezeebob on Wed Dec 31, 1969 10:33 pm

here's another
http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/
and by the way it's free

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ezeebob on 2001-12-21 23:56 ]</font>
ezeebob
Buffer Underrun

Postby NuGuy on Wed Dec 31, 1969 10:34 pm

Thanks! (Really. I was surprised to see this topic surface....) I'll check it out.

BTW, I'm going to get into scanning (photos: prints, slides, negatives), and then print some but save all scanned images via my burner. Anyone know of a web site as good as this one that addresses scanners and scanning?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NuGuy on 2001-12-22 18:09 ]</font>
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby zalwel74 on Wed Dec 31, 1969 10:35 pm

Had the same problem when deciding on a scanner. Don't know if there's a dedicated site, but there's a lot of reviewsites around that handle scanners as well. Just browse the web with google (try scanner review test comparison etc.) and something ought to pop up.
zalwel74
Buffer Underrun

Postby NuGuy on Wed Dec 31, 1969 10:35 pm

Thanks. A bigger hurdle is the selection of the photo editing software program. Adobe's top-of-the-line Photoshop is probably overwhelming for a guy like me, although it may be the only one that handles the 48-bit color depth that even the least expensive scanners are supporting nowadays.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby irnis on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:36 am

NuGuy wrote:Without actually looking at each page of the book on the the copy, how can I verify that my copy is complete (no missing data, pages, images) and functional?

Advanced CheckSum Verifier http://www.irnis.net/
irnis
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Software Questions