Home News Reviews Forums Shop

New Lite On Firmware(s) on 03 Jan 2003

Burn baby burn!

New Lite On Firmware(s) on 03 Jan 2003

Postby Spazmogen on Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:53 am

I saw the link here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php ... adid=61357

They're already on the Lite On firmware download page, but the link to the files is broken. :cry:

So, Lite On has posted new firmware links days before the firmware is available. Keep your eyes open early in the New Year.

The new firmware is available here: http://www.liteonit.com/webfw/LTR-52246S/R526S0A.zip for the LTR52246s.

For LTR 48246s: http://www.liteonit.com.tw/webfw/LTR-48246S/R48SS0A.zip

Once again, Lite On has provided "Match more media" as the reason for the new firmware.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby coolestnitish on Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:03 pm

:-? I'm a little confused, if you go to the LiteOn page for firmwares http://www.liteonit.com.tw/english/engl ... rmware.htm the LTR-48246S and the LTR-52246S have the same name for the new firmware. Is this just a typo or LiteOn is telling all owners of 48x24x48 to flash to 52x? :lol:
They are talking about this in the thread you linked to at CDFreaks. But as the link you gave for the 48x is pointing to a different firmware, I guess its just a typo.
Maybe they are getting fed up of writing 2 different firmwares for the same hardware.
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
Never in this world can hatred be stilled by hatred; it will be stilled only by non-hatred - this is the law Eternal.
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:19 pm

lol.. thats gotta be a typo.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby coolestnitish on Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:34 pm

LiteOn took off the links to the firmwares and even the links Spaz gave are now dead. I guess they aren't releasing the new firmwares tommorow? http://www.liteonit.com/english/english ... rmware.htm
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
Never in this world can hatred be stilled by hatred; it will be stilled only by non-hatred - this is the law Eternal.
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:58 pm

Damn! I was looking forward to a new firmware release.

But then, as I write this, it IS 03 Jan 2003 where Lite On is located. Perhaps they just took the link down to fix things.

Time will tell.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

The new firmware has been released.

Postby MutoidMan on Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:05 pm

I just downloaded R526S0A.zip and flashed my LTR-52246S. According to RecordNow MAX 4.50, the firmware revision is now 6S0A.
MutoidMan
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spazmogen on Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:08 pm

Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:21 pm

this deserves a long w0000000000000000000t!!! I'll get the bins out now!!!
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby coolestnitish on Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:24 pm

Yah the links work again, but still no direct links from the site yet.
MutoidMan did you see any difference in RW? or just the standard "Match More Media"
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:30 pm

I'll flash mine early Friday and post back the results with 24x Verbatim RW discs shortly. Results will probably be around Friday afternoon or Friday evening at latest.

I'd flash it sooner, but I'm @ work again tonight.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby coolestnitish on Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:32 pm

Spazmogen wrote:I'll flash mine early Friday and post back the results with 24x Verbatim RW discs shortly. Results will probably be around Friday afternoon or Friday evening at latest.

:D Thanks a lot.
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby Nhawk on Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:25 pm

Check out my media tests on several LiteOn drives with different firmware
Link

I added 6S0A tests with all my media...you have to check it out, it's a major improvement.

24X CD-RW media is still writing in CAV mode, thus it averages 18.01X while writing @24X, barely faster than 16X write.
Nhawk
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spazmogen on Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:07 am

Good work Nhawk !

I confirm the 24x RW speed with the new firmware.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby binny on Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:56 am

i have a liteon 48246S with a SS09 firmware...i would like to know whether upgrading the firmware would be of benefit.
binny
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spazmogen on Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:23 pm

binny wrote:i have a liteon 48246S with a SS09 firmware...i would like to know whether upgrading the firmware would be of benefit.

You have nothing to lose to by upgrading.

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/webfw/LTR-48246S/R48SS0A.zip is the link to the lastest firmware for your drive.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:42 pm

Spazmogen wrote:You have nothing to lose to by upgrading.

I'll do my best to confuse the issue by adding my dissenting opinion. :wink: :)

There is something to lose by upgrading. Something could go wrong during the upgrade process leaving you with a brain-dead drive that can't be used. Is this likely? No. Can it be fixed if it does happen? There is a reasonably good chance, but at the very least it would involve extra hassle.

So, I would recommend following my "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. Since the upgrade only improves media compatibility, the question to ask yourself is: Are you have any trouble burning the media you purchase with the speed and quality you desire? If not, then just leave your drive as is. The upgrade won't improve anything. If you are, then consider the upgrade. Of course, in this latter case you might also want to simply consider buying other media.

Here is what LiteOn has to say about upgrades (in their broken English):

"It's not necessary to upgrade the firmware of your opto-drive unless you meet problem."

In other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"....

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby TCAS on Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:21 am

With all due respect to Cfitz, I disagree, if we have to be so conservative that in process of upgarding the burner firmware some thing goes wrong, what about upgrading your motherboard bios which is some time is vital to the operation of your system, or to lesser extend what upgrading your chipset drivers?.

People have to be encourage to take the risk (which I believe there is no risk involve in any case even with newvie if he/she pay careful attention to the upgrading instruction) otherwise no progress will be made.

What is the different between companies who spend substantial amount of thier resources to come-up with new firmware, bios and drivers with other companies that spend no resources on any improvement on the products they put in the marker?.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:19 am

TCAS wrote:what about upgrading your motherboard bios which is some time is vital to the operation of your system...?

If you carefully reread my comments, I think you will see that you have answered your own question. I did not make a blanket recommendation against upgrading firmware. Instead, I recommended upgrading firmware only when the upgrade will actually improve the operation of the component being upgraded. An upgrade "vital to the operation of your system" would certainly qualify as one that improves operation and, thus, one that would be worth performing.

TCAS wrote:People have to be encourage to take the risk (which I believe there is no risk involve in any case even with newvie if he/she pay careful attention to the upgrading instruction) otherwise no progress will be made.

Stick around here long enough, and you will find that there are distressingly large numbers of people who are careless in general and avoid reading instructions in particular. We get questions here every day that people could easily answer for themselves if they would just do a tiny amount of reading. Amazingly, we even get people who proudly proclaim that they are too lazy to do any reading or research. :-?

Even neglecting those with a tendency towards self-imposed ignorance, there are still things that can go wrong during a firmware update. For example, power could go out or Windows could blue-screen (it has been known to happen from time to time... :wink: ). And even if the firmware update goes smoothly, it won't necessarily improve matters. Sometimes it may make things worse.

Another common question around these parts is "I upgraded my burner to firmware version Z and now it works worse than before. I want to go back to version Y but didn't back it up. Does anyone have a source for version Y?" Newer isn't always better. This also illustrates the level of care and planning many people put into firmware updates. Best practices would dictate securing a means of reverting to the original firmware version before upgrading by either backing up the firmware or locating an alternative source for the original firmware.

In summary, I am not against firmware updates in general, only gratuitous updates performed simply for the sake of having the latest firmware installed. I would counsel anyone contemplating a firmware update to first ask himself, "Do I have a problem that this update is designed to fix, or does this update add features that my equipment doesn't currently have and that I would like to make use of?" If so, then go for it (after carefully reading all the instructions, of course). If not, then spend your time on more promising pursuits.

cfitz

P.S. My comments above are directed towards those whose computers are tools used in pursuit of a greater end and not towards enthusiasts whose end is the computer itself. Those who enjoy exploring their computers, playing with the latest updates, and tweaking their rigs to see how far the equipment can be pushed are a different class than the average user and are quite capable of deciding for themselves when and what to upgrade. Enthusiasts should certainly enjoy their hobby and upgrade, downgrade or side-grade to their hearts' content.
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:30 pm

cfitz wrote:Amazingly, we even get people who proudly proclaim that they are too lazy to do any reading or research. :-?

damn, he got to you, huh?
take it easy, dude :wink: :P
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:06 pm

dodecahedron wrote:damn, he got to you, huh?
take it easy, dude :wink: :P

I wasn't referring to any specific individual. I've seen this proclaimed more than once on these forums.

Thanks for the concern, but I'm cool... 8)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby tReeMan on Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:13 am

I see allot of people talking about upgrading the 48x to the 52x.
What about if you have a lite-on 48125w (not an S). Does this work???
tReeMan
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spazmogen on Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:16 am

tReeMan wrote:I see allot of people talking about upgrading the 48x to the 52x.
What about if you have a lite-on 48125w (not an S). Does this work???

Not to my knowledge.

The 48246S & 52246S are pretty much the same drive, just different firmware. So people are flashing upwards to the 52x for free.

The 48125W is a different drive (hardware).
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives