Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero 5.5.10.0 putting video cam on DVD backup

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero 5.5.10.0 putting video cam on DVD backup

Postby mike_s104 on Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:31 pm

the other night I backed up a DVD and all was fine but one very annoying thing. Nero 5.5.10.0 appears to place a little video camera icon (it looks like when using a video camera and the battery indecator is in the view finder or when you copy a VHS to VHS and have the play icon appear on the copy). it's only on the first chapter and lasts for only about 5 mins into the movie. it is so annoying!!!!! how do I get rid of this or do I just need to use an older version?

I want a back up but I don't want some software telling me it is. wouldn't the hand written "label" saying "The Others Disc 1" kinda indicate that?
mike_s104
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:31 am

Educate me please. Nero allows you to copy a DVD directly, without using any other software to do the ripping or re-authoring? I didn't know that. Is that something new, or am I mis-reading your post? Or are you talking about Nero Vision Express with the MPEG-2/DVD plug-in?

And are you suggesting Nero is reencoding the mpeg2 stream to add an icon?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby mike_s104 on Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:37 am

I'm sorry. I should have been clearer on what I was saying. I used DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD to the hard drive then I used DVD Split to split it into 2 discs. after that, I used Nero to burn the VIDEO_TS directory.

thanks for pointing that out.

yes, I am saying Nero is adding the icon as it burns. I used DVDBurn (same guy who wrote DVDSplit and is now working for 321 Studios on DVDXCopy) and the icon was not there. the only difference was Nero. older versions didn't do that.
mike_s104
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:43 am

Okay, now I am really confused. Nero is never reencoding the mpeg stream? Then how would it add an element to the stream? It seems like Smart Ripper or DVD Split must be responsible since they are actually manipulating the mpeg stream. Or does the DVD standard allow overlays to be added separate from the mpeg stream itself?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby mike_s104 on Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:47 am

I think you read it before I edited it.

I am 99.9% sure Nero is doing something to the first 5 mins of the video. DVDSplit, DVD Decrypter (thought I used Smart Ripper before that's why I edited it) and DVDBurn did not add anything. I can play the first VOB file in Power DVD XP and it is not there either before splitting it or after. only after buring with Nero is it present.
mike_s104
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:50 am

Ah, you got me with the old edit while I was replying trick! :wink:

Okay, you are saying that you are pretty sure Nero is responsible for adding the icon and believe you have ruled out the other two programs.

You don't have the MPEG2/DVD plug-in, so Nero can't be reencoding the mpeg stream, right? If the other two programs aren't adding the icon while manipulating the mpeg stream, then the icon must be some sort of overlay (I'll admit I'm getting out of my element here). If so, then there must be a simple addition or change to the DVD directory/file structure separate fromt he mpeg stream. Have you done a a file-by-file comparison of the Nero version with the icon to the DVDBurn version without the icon to see where the difference might be?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:51 am

You did it again! This time you got me with the old reply while I was replying trick!! :lol: :lol:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby mike_s104 on Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:53 am

DVDBurn uses the Nero engine. I have no idea how or why it's doing it. it's not like it's some trash that got put there, it looks too perfect to be.

how the heck do I post an image here? I will try to extract a frame so you can see what I am talking about.
mike_s104
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:03 am

mike_s104 wrote:how the heck do I post an image here? I will try to extract a frame so you can see what I am talking about.

You need to have a web server you can put the image on, then provide the link to the picture's URL surrounded by the image tags like so:

Code: Select all
[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cfitz771/pics/LiteOnSN.jpg[/img]

Which turns into this:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby mike_s104 on Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:13 am

OK, I feel like an idiot now. when I had the problem to start with, I tried the backup on my Pioneer DVD player and it had the icon on it. I then played the VOB file with Power DVD XP and they were not there so I was guessing Nero did it. sound right? I then burned both backups with DVDBurn and then played them with Power DVD XP also and the icon was not there. I thought I tried it on my Pioneer that night. but, in checking tonight it is STILL there. for some reason Power DVD XP does not show it. I will try it agin and see where the problem is. I would say either DVD Decrypter or DVDSlip is doing it. I am using a newer verion of DVDSplit for the first time.

I will try DVD Decrypter with an older version of DVDSplit. if it's still there, I will try using Smart Ripper. I would really expect it to be DVDSplit since it is doing all the work really.
mike_s104
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:21 am

mike_s104 wrote:I would say either DVD Decrypter or DVDSlip is doing it. I am using a newer verion of DVDSplit for the first time.

That does sound more reasonable. Now why didn't you mention using a new version of DVDSplit earlier? Pulling the old "change two variables" at once trick! :x :) You really are determined to give me a hard time, aren't you? :wink: :lol:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby mike_s104 on Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:25 am

I have to... no one else is crazy enough to be on here this late. :-)

I forgot about the newer version of DVDSplit. I used it since it (in the past) didn't do anything to the copy like adding a stupid warning to the start of the DVD like DVDXcopy does. sometimes newer isn't always better I guess.
mike_s104
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:27 am

mike_s104 wrote:I have to... no one else is crazy enough to be on here this late. :-)

I deserve that, I guess... :wink: :)

By the way, we have people from all over the world who read and post here, so it isn't necessarily late at night right now.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby mike_s104 on Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:28 am

that's true, didn't think about that.

I am ripping a DVD right now and will start the split before I go to bed. I will then test it tomorrow and post my findings.
mike_s104
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:31 am

Good luck, and good night! 8)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)