Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Wake Up !!!!

Burn baby burn!

Wake Up !!!!

Postby Albinoni on Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:24 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but is it true that Liteon make the fastest CD-RW on the market today, being their 52x24x52x CDRW burner.

Now Plextor and TDK brag on, on how good their burners are, I'm sure they are and dont get me wrong here. But I've found TDK and Plextor to be far over priced, plus isnt TDK made by Liteon or from the same factory in China, and I do know as a fact the TDK's are made in China. Not sure about the Plextors though. But it seems to me that TDK have the cheek to produce CDRW's at same costs as Liteon, slower speed, but yet having the price to be yanked up, so the CEO's etc etc can have a nice big lump sum $$$$$$$ in their pockets by the end of the year. Plus it would not surpries me if Plextor are now using the same technology as Liteon, i.e like parts, laser, mechanisms etc etc, but once again a yanked up price.

In Australia a TDK burner will cost you back close to $AU 400, and plextor perhaps slightly more. I can go out and get the fastest Liteon for AU$150 and yet again be up front and save $$$$$.

Do you think it's about time these expensive merchants try and lower their prices on their goods and learn to compete with company's like Liteon, BenQ etc etc.

Also finally if TDK and Plextor rave on how good they are and their overpriced CDRW's then shouldn't they be making the fastest CDRW's in the world, with all the $$$$$$$ being injected into their company I would expect so.
Albinoni
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:35 pm

TDK use rebadged OEM drives from Lite-On, so TDK/Lite On are one in the same (just not superficially).
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:56 pm

Faster isn't always better. And if you don't want to buy the more expensive products, you don't have to. As for lowering prices, when enough people stop buying the expensive drives, their prices will come down. That's the beauty of competition... :wink: In the meantime, no sense in getting your blood pressure up. :)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dhc014 on Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:42 pm

I would bet that the prices for CD-RW drives would be much higher if Lite-ON had never come into the picture.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:50 pm

dhc014 wrote:I would bet that the prices for CD-RW drives would be much higher if Lite-ON had never come into the picture.

Let's just be glad we didn't have to find the hard way. :wink: Plextors are still going for upwards of $100 even with the competition.

By the way, I personally own a Yamaha CRW-3200EZ that I managed to get for ~$75 (cheap at the time) and a Memorex 48MAXX (LiteOn 48246S) that I got for $40 (also cheap at the time - but I've seen deals for ~$20 since - wow). I like them both. But I must agree that the LiteOn was the better bargain.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby beowulf on Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:28 pm

Eventually you will understand that "quality" means a lot more than just speed...
beowulf
Buffer Underrun

Postby aznsound on Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:34 pm

simple... if you don't like their ideas then don't buy it... there are a lot other good drives that are far below $100 as an option...
aznsound
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives