Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Speaking of beer, anyone here brew their own?

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Speaking of beer, anyone here brew their own?

Postby F1Pilot on Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:36 am

Speaking of beer, anyone here brew their own? If so, how? I mean, do you use a legitimate kit, or with one of those Wal-Mart kits? I used to brew beer years ago with a good sized setup, though far from a pro one. In college, we did the Quick Fix Wino Mix: Cran-something, brewers yeast dropped in, and an air/water lock. Can't forget the Trash Punch!

I got rid of my rig, so no more brewing on a huge magnitude. I am, however, checking into that Mr Beer kit. Anyone got any experience with this thing?

:P F1
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby Derek on Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:42 pm

My dad used to make his own homebrew beer and wine. We still have some of the wines downstairs, but he got out of it a long time ago. Too much work. But it would be cool to do it again. I could just imagine a brewing setup in a dorm room. ;)

Derek
Derek
CD-RW PiMP

Postby F1Pilot on Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:13 am

LOL! When we did it in college, it was a simple and very small (able to hide in the bottom of the closet) setup. It worked, but of course...rough on the edges.

I wonder how his wine would taste like now? Is he still fermenting them, or is it just collecting dust? That's pretty cool.

Ya know, I'm making myself sound like a lush! :oops:

I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby Derek on Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:07 am

It's in his basement in jugs. He says he saving it for the weddings of his kids, but I don't think its going to be that great... :)
Derek
CD-RW PiMP

Postby F1Pilot on Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:38 pm

LOL! But you know, the intention is honorable. But one favor, Derek. Post the pictures of everyone throwing up, okay? :wink:
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby Derek on Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:54 pm

I don't plan on getting married for a LONG time, so I don't think you'll be seeing them soon. :D
Derek
CD-RW PiMP

Postby Ian on Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:35 pm

Derek wrote:It's in his basement in jugs. He says he saving it for the weddings of his kids, but I don't think its going to be that great... :)

Test it on the dog first in case it makes you blind.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby F1Pilot on Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:43 pm

...and with Ians suggestion/request, we've put it to the test in the basement lab. You can see the results here. :wink:

heh!
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby imtim83 on Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:18 pm

Ian thats mean. A dog is a living thing just like humans. Animals are just as important humans.
Any help appreicated
Please Reply
Thanks
imtim83
CD-RW Player

I DO!

Postby E.Richard Roberts 3rd. on Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:10 am

I have been brewing for the last thirty years. I am drinking an Theakston " Ole Peculier " clone that was just finished last week. Think I will develop a software package called " Clone Beer " The beer seems to be a clone of me, " Old and Peculier ". :roll:
E.Richard Roberts 3rd.

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:59 am

LOL! :D

What kinda beer is it? Ale? Stout?
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Old Peculier

Postby E.Richard Roberts 3rd. on Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:17 am

It's a world famous British Ale. Dark in color , a little sweet with a tiny bitter finish. Fabulous and hard to find. I have developed a great recipe for brewing it. Mine comes out a " tad " different than the original but just as good. Brew it in small ( five ) gal. batches and keg it. :P
E.Richard Roberts 3rd.

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:32 am

Sounds awesome! What kind of brewing set up do you have?
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Old Peculier

Postby E.Richard Roberts 3rd. on Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:21 pm

I do partial mashes. I haven't found the need to go to all the trouble of a full mash. Yes you can control the final product better but brewing is only one of my hobies and the extra time and trouble are not worth the effort to me. Most people find my stuff to be just fine.

PS: I only have the winter months to brew and Ham Radio , furnitue making and OP system work keep me occupied till the boat gets put in about mid march for my Charter business on Lake Ontario. :D
E.Richard Roberts 3rd.

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:41 pm

Have you ever done a stout before? A buddy of mine and myself brewed a batch for a party on college. It was good, but a bit bitter. We wanted it smoother like a Mackesson as opposed to a Guinness. Since you got a lot of time with it, do you have any suggestions?
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Mackeson Stout

Postby E.Richard Roberts 3rd. on Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:23 pm

Try this. I know you will like it.

1# 55%L British Crystal Malt
12 oz. British Chocolate Malt
4 oz. British Black Malt
Steep @ 150 for 20 min. Strain into brew pot then sparge with1/2 gal water( also 150 ). Add water to bring to 1 1/2 gal. Bring to boil, then remove from heat and add:
5 1/4 # light malt extract. I like M&F for this.
14oz Lactose
1/2 #malto Dextrin
1 oz. of Target Hops.
Add water to bring up to 2 1/2 gal. Boil for at least 1 hr. Then add 1tsp. of Spanish Moss. Boil for another 15 min. ( REMEMBER when you add hops to the boil the wort will try to boil over ) You have probably made that mistake before , as we all have. Hi Hi .
Take off heat and let stand for 25 min. Strain the wort into your Primary Ferm and add COLD water to make up the 5 gal. Let stanf untill the beer is at or lower than 80 degrees and pitch the yeast. ( here is the SECRET ) , use Wyeast's # 1028 London Ale Yeast.
Fert in Pri for 5 to 7 days or until fert slows, ( if you use hydrometer look for a SG of about 1.022 )
If you are going to bottle it don't forget to add 2/3 cup corn sugar and about 2 oz of Lactose.
WO-LA a very good clone of Mackeson XXX stout.
E.Richard Roberts 3rd.

Return to The Beer Garden