Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DMA help please

Burn baby burn!

DMA help please

Postby tbc1415 on Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:43 pm

I have just installed an LTR 52246s as a slave on the secondary IDE channel. The master is my cd-rom drive (Afreey 56x). The cd-rom has always had DMA enabled and working fine. After the installation I attempted to enable DMA on the LTR. It will not enable and has also bumped the cd-rom back into PIO mode. So now with both drives the transfer mode is set to "DMA if available" but the current mode reads "PIO mode". It will not reset either one to DMA. Nero also tells me the same thing regarding the transfer mode settings. Whats wrong with this picture? Is there another way to force this setting or should I try switching the master/slave setup or what? Is there something to check in the Bios? Is it possible that windows is giving me false information and how would I check that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The LTR does work, I copied one audio cd just to try it out.

Windows XP
Intel P4
Intel G850 mb
All drivers current.
Tim
tbc1415
Buffer Underrun

Postby coolestnitish on Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:11 pm

Before any other troubleshooting procedures, I would just uninstall both the drives from device manager and then uninstall the Secondary IDE channel too. Let Windows detect all the devices again, and see if that works.
If the problem continues, try switching the master slave settings the other way around.
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
Never in this world can hatred be stilled by hatred; it will be stilled only by non-hatred - this is the law Eternal.
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:27 pm

Always check the FAQ section before posting a question concerning UDMA and DMA. Here's the thread on how to enable DMA underr Windows XP.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7625
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby tbc1415 on Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:26 pm

Eureka! I uninstalled and reinstalled both devices and the secondary channel and rebooted three or four times, jumped up and down, spun around and closed my eyes until it finally took hold.
I burned another cd and it went much faster. This is my first cd-rw so I really wasn't sure how long it was supposed to take but I did know that the DMA settings were way wrong..

I will keep an eye on that FAQ sheet. I am new to this site and am very impressed by the helpful attitude, knowledge and courtesy of the posters.

Thanks for a great resource.
Tim
tbc1415
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:50 pm

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon