Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How to enable real writing speed in Nero ?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

How to enable real writing speed in Nero ?

Postby Alexandrus on Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:33 pm

I know I aksed this before, and I even made it work, but lately, after installing Nero 5.5.9.17 and 5.5.10.0 the same trick doesn't work anymore, no matter what I do.
Is it me or Nero ? ;)
Alexandrus
CD-RW Thug

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:22 pm

If you mean how to have Nero show the true writing speed of the Recorder, then there is a modification you need to make to the registery.

If you want this aspect, you can send a request to me at techsupport4@nero.com and ask for the Registry patch to allow Nero to show the trure write speeds of your recorder.

REgards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby ryus on Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:53 pm

To enable real time burn speed with NERO:

at the 'Start' button, goto 'Run', type 'regedit', goto 'Hkey_current_user', goto 'Software', goto 'Ahead', goto 'Nero_Burning_Rom', goto 'Recorder', then find the registry 'ShowsingleRecorderSpeed', double click it, and change the value '0' to the value '1'.

Note: You will not be able to see 'ShowSingleRecorderSpeed' until you complete one full burn with Nero.
P4 3.0C, Abit IC7-MAX3, Antec True480W, Kingwin Aluminum case, 2X256 OCZ PC4000 Gold Edition,
Maxtor SATA 160GB, Maxtor 40GB ATA133
ATI 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro
Asus CD-S520, LiteON JLMS 166, Plexwriter48/24/48A, Pioneer 107
ryus
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:01 pm

here's the original thread:
Next tip: displaying the real burning-speed in Nero

Craig, any comments about this would be welcome.
is this the same registry patch you were talking about?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Alexandrus on Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:14 pm

Well, I know what I must do in the registry, but it doesn't work anymore. Not in 98SE and not in XP Pro.
After I make a complete burn, I change the ShowSingleRecorderSpeed to 1(actually there are 3 different such entries in the registry, two of them are linked somehow) and after a new burn(that still will not dispaly the real speed), the values are back to 0.
Weird huh ?
Alexandrus
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:14 pm

Alexandrus wrote:Well, I know what I must do in the registry, but it doesn't work anymore. Not in 98SE and not in XP Pro.
After I make a complete burn, I change the ShowSingleRecorderSpeed to 1(actually there are 3 different such entries in the registry, two of them are linked somehow) and after a new burn(that still will not dispaly the real speed), the values are back to 0.
Weird huh ?

make sure you're setting the ShowSingleRecorderSpeed key under the KEY_CURRENT_USER branch. not the other ones.
look at this thread:
Nero 5.5.9.x-how can i enable showing the ral burn-speed..

what are the 3 ShowSingleRecorderSpeed you mentioned?
i know of 2 only.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Han on Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:46 am

I wonder why do we have to "hack" the Registry to see this information at the first place? If I were Ahead's programmer, I'd implement this feature into the user interface years ago... :roll:
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby Alexandrus on Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:41 am

First one is in HKEY_Current_user, second in HKEY_Local_Machine and the third in HKEY_Users.
Still no go, no matter what I do.
Alexandrus
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:40 pm

Alexandrus wrote:First one is in HKEY_Current_user, second in HKEY_Local_Machine and the third in HKEY_Users.
Still no go, no matter what I do.

OK, only two then.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER is an alias for a branch in HEKY_USERS.
see the link in my previous post, Inertia's explanations.

sorry it doesn't work for you. if you read up in the two threads i mentioned you'll see some reports that it doesn't always work.
keep trying, some posts say it works after many tries.

maybe Craig Campbell can help you out, take him up on his offer.

or maybe he can post a comment here about this matter.

Han wrote:I wonder why do we have to "hack" the Registry to see this information at the first place? If I were Ahead's programmer, I'd implement this feature into the user interface years ago...

i concurr!
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Alexandrus on Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:43 pm

Well, I'll keep om trying, but it's quite anoying really.
I have already sent the email to Craig, but so far no reply.

And I wish Ahead would implemet the feature already, I mean, Nero is the best writing/authoring software ;)
Alexandrus
CD-RW Thug

Postby CCampbell on Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:02 pm

Hi Dodecahedron,

Yes, this is the same as the registry patch I will provide. Normally you can go into the Registry and edit it manually. But even I have experienced some systems where I do this and it never takes. Everytime I go back after making the change it's still set to zero.

This Patch will resolve the issue when you can not edit it manually.

As for making this the standard. The problem is that not all users are power users like most of those on this group list. So they would not understand why the write speed goes up and down, and does not remain at the 40x speed they had selected. This would cause lots of Emails and Tech support calls from such users, and we would have to explain how the Recorder works. Most beginers are just happy if it works, and if the speed is fast.

And of course, I know you hate it when I say this but it's true, our OEMs would not like this feature enabled by default for that same reason.

And I was out Sick yesterday due to food poisoning, so I was not able to send the Registry patch till today.

When ever you send an Email to me directly, please expect 2 to 3 days response time. I do a lot of traveling, testing, meetings, etc and am not always able to go through my Emails every day. Though I do the best I can. :)

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:21 pm

hello Craig.

thanks for your reply. :D hope you're feeling better. :)
CCampbell wrote:Yes, this is the same as the registry patch I will provide. Normally you can go into the Registry and edit it manually. But even I have experienced some systems where I do this and it never takes. Everytime I go back after making the change it's still set to zero.

This Patch will resolve the issue when you can not edit it manually.

i'm sorry, this isn't very clear to me - is the patch the same as the registry trick mentioned in the threads i noted above? or is it somewhat different and can also solve the "doesn't stay on" problem?

CCampbell wrote:As for making this the standard. The problem is that not all users are power users like most of those on this group list. So they would not understand why the write speed goes up and down, and does not remain at the 40x speed they had selected. This would cause lots of Emails and Tech support calls from such users, and we would have to explain how the Recorder works. Most beginers are just happy if it works, and if the speed is fast.

And of course, I know you hate it when I say this but it's true, our OEMs would not like this feature enabled by default for that same reason.

your'e right, i don't like it, but i can understand your reasoning. however i do think it would (or rather should) be made possible for "Power Users", e.g. a checkbox in the Exper Features tab of the Preferences.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Han on Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:15 pm

Novice users usually stick to Nero's Wizard or use Nero Express. Medium knowledge users prefer Nero's standard interface and features. But first what power users do, besides turning the Wizard off after a fresh install, is tweak the Expert features. And there, as dodecahedron said, should be a checkbox for "real writing speed"...
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby Alexandrus on Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:32 pm

First of all a big thanks to Craig for sending me the registry.

I am sure he is not the one that makes all the decissions as he must have bosses like the rest of us, so trying to convince him to put a check box with the real writing speed for advanced users will not help much, so give the guy a break ;)
Alexandrus
CD-RW Thug

Postby CCampbell on Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:51 pm

The Patch I sent is exactly like the Registry Hack you and others have listed.

It's just for some reason when you create a REG file instead of manually entering it, the succes rate seem to be 100%. Even for those cases where it works when you manualy enter it, but disappers next time you reboot.

To be honest, I do not know why it works better than manually entering it, as it should not make a difference.

And I do not make the decisions, but I can bring the request to those who do. And if you don't ask, you'll never get it. :)
However, in this case I know it will not be done as I have requested this myself some years back.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby Alexandrus on Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:59 pm

True, if nobody ask then we won't get it for sure.

Too bad the decuission has been made not to implement the feature, most users would love it.
Alexandrus
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:12 pm

CCampbell wrote:However, in this case I know it will not be done as I have requested this myself some years back.

Ah, you are with us in spirit... :wink:
all is well, then ... :D
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Alexandrus on Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:55 am

The registry that Craig sent me work perfectly after I reinstalled Nero and cleaned my registry.
But the same thing does not work if you enter the value in the registry manually, weird stuff.
Alexandrus
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:54 am

That is too weird. I've never heard of such a thing, and can't imagine what mechanism could explain such behavior. Maybe I will give it try though, since I have been one of those who couldn't get the thing to stick.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)