Home News Reviews Forums Shop

2 cd burners

Burn baby burn!

2 cd burners

Postby eric_sermon on Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:54 pm

Ok lets say I bought another CD Burner.
a Yamaha 44x24x44 and
a Plextor 48x24x48

do I have to install both the NERO's that came bundled with it?..
eric_sermon
Buffer Underrun

Postby oxymoron on Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:05 pm

doesnt the yamaha come w/ the retail version of nero? if it does, use that one
"Nothing is better than eternal happiness. Ham sandwiches are better than nothing. Therefore, ham sandwiches are better than eternal happiness."
oxymoron
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:32 pm

oxymoron wrote:doesnt the yamaha come w/ the retail version of nero? if it does, use that one

I think the Yamaha does come with a full version, but if they no longer bundle the full version, I would suggest going out and buying a full version so it can be used with all your CD-RW drives. OEM full versions of Nero can be found pretty cheap online. The only thing that doesn't come in the OEM edition is the instruction manual. If you really need the manual, then your going to need to buy a retail copy
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Re: 2 cd burners

Postby cfitz on Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:40 pm

eric_sermon wrote:Ok lets say I bought another CD Burner.
a Yamaha 44x24x44 and
a Plextor 48x24x48

do I have to install both the NERO's that came bundled with it?..

No. In fact, you can only install one copy, since Nero makes no provision for running multiple installations (they all share the same registry settings). And unless Yamaha has changed their policy for the F1 (my CRW3200EZ came with a bundled version of Nero that works only with Yamaha drives), they do not include a full retail version.

You will be able to use one copy of the bundled Nero with both drives, but only for one drive at a time. And every time you wish to switch to the other drive you will have re-enter the serial number for that drive. :(

See this thread:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7929

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby eric_sermon on Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:04 pm

am I alowed to burn 2 cd's with 2 different drives at the same time?
eric_sermon
Buffer Underrun

Postby glock20rocks on Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:12 pm

I've burned two discs at once before. Just make sure the drives are on different IDE channels! Otherwise it'll be very, very slow.

I had 'em on the same channel (opps) and burned one disk at 16x and one at 24x. Took about 15 minutes :(
glock20rocks

Postby cfitz on Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:19 pm

eric_sermon wrote:am I alowed to burn 2 cd's with 2 different drives at the same time?

Nope. Not unless you get the full retail version. Read through that thread I linked. In particular, check out Craig Campbell's detailed explanation of the differences between full retail and the various OEM flavors:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 8848#48848

(Craig is an official representative of Ahead software.)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Tubtanic on Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:59 am

I wasn't aware that current Nero (OEM) does not allow using two
writers simultaneously.

Cfits. Thanks for including the link for a more detailed explanation.
Tubtanic
Buffer Underrun

Postby Tubtanic on Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:17 pm

Cfitz! Is Nero (retail) still limited to two writers? Now that we have to hand over the big bucks for Nero (retail), in order to do simultaneous burns, have they removed the 2 writer limitation? Thanks

Tubtanic.
Tubtanic
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:21 pm

Yes, it is still limited to two burners. But that limit applies only to two simultaneous burners. And by "simultaneous" I mean both burners going at the same time burning the same bits to two separate discs.

Other than that you can use the full retail package with as many burners as you want, but only two at a time. For most people this isn't an issue, since they only burn one disc at a time anyway.

If you do want to burn more than two copies of the same disc at the same time, you will have to purchase the additional multi-burner add-ons. I think you can go as high as 32 burners at once.

By the way, as much as I have groused about the OEM serial-number policy, the upgrade to full retail isn't what I would consider truly big bucks. It costs $19 to get a serial number over the web:

https://secure.nero.com/en/Secure.asp

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby UALOneKPlus on Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:09 pm

cfitz, my Pacific Digital 48x LiteOn CDRW came with Nero OEM version 5.5.8. Would it still cost $19 to upgrade to the unrestricted version? The website is very unclear about this. Thanks.

cfitz wrote:...By the way, as much as I have groused about the OEM serial-number policy, the upgrade to full retail isn't what I would consider truly big bucks. It costs $19 to get a serial number over the web:

https://secure.nero.com/en/Secure.asp

cfitz
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby taxman150 on Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:36 pm

Yes, I had an older OEM version of Nero that came with my drive and decided to pay the $19 to get a serial number to unlock the OEM version to make it a "full" version. I did this last Friday and within 5 minutes after I entered my order info I received an e-mail from Ahead with the new serial number. I then updated the serial number in Nero and downloaded and installed the 5.5.10 upgrade without any problems.

The link you see for the $19 is correct although I agree that the website could be a bit more clear.
taxman150
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:55 pm

Yes, taxman150 nailed it. According to Craig Campbell (our resident Ahead rep), the cost is $19 to upgrade OEM to full retail, even if you already have a 5.5.x.x version. You were probably thinking that since the site lists $19 for an upgrade from version 4.0 that you could get it a little cheaper? Apparently that is not the case.

Anyway, here is a direct link to purchase the upgrade as given to me by Ahead/Nero technical support:

https://secure.nero.com/en/Wizard.asp?Item=230

It takes you to the same page you get to if you click the "Nero v5.5 Upgrade Serial Number (from v4.0)" link on the page I referenced earlier.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives