Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Amazing how right you guys are about CD-RW's

What was that?

Amazing how right you guys are about CD-RW's

Postby UALOneKPlus on Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:35 am

I am so glad I found this site. I never knew what brand of CD-RW's were good, and what kind of media were good.

Everything I've learned from this site absolutely is in line with my experiences.

My 1st internal CD-RW is a Lite-On, a burn-proof Cendyne 12x10x32x CDRW sold by CostCo that has given me many many problem-free discs. Now my 2nd and 3rd internal CD-RW's are also Lite-Ons, of which I am really glad and attribute to the knowledge gleemed here.

I also can definitely say that the Fujifilm CD-R's are top-rate. I just took a year old CD-R and did a Surface Scan on it, and it came up with just 1 damaged sector and 1 unreadable sector. What a beautiful sight!

Finally, as an official send off to my Parallel Iomega Zip Disk drive, I've pulled it out for the last time, as I'm restoring all my Zip Disk data to my hard drive, then to be burned onto CD-R's.

I am copying ONE disk with 59 MB of data, and the estimated copy time via the parallel interface is 20 MINUTES!!! So long Iomega Zip Disk -- hope to never see you again!!

Thanks to you guys for such handy info!! 8)
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:49 am

Well, I think I can safely say we all appreciate the kind words. However, I am a little concerned about your 1-year old disc. I don't generally consider a disc with damaged sectors to be a beautiful sight, and I certainly don't consider one with any unreadable sectors, no matter how few, to be beautiful. I'm hoping that your "unreadable" sector is not ruly unreadable but that it is the last one on the disc and you are just seeing the last-sector-TOA-marked-unreadable CD Speed "bug".

If it isn't the last sector, I would suggest downloading a copy of CDCheck, verifying the CD to the best of its ability, and then copying to a new CD-R.

http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby glock20rocks on Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:23 pm

cfitz wrote:
If it isn't the last sector, I would suggest downloading a copy of CDCheck, verifying the CD to the best of its ability, and then copying to a new CD-R.

http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/

cfitz

And why is THIS the first I'm hearing of this program? :)

Is there ANY utility you don't have a link too? :)
glock20rocks

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:33 pm

if this is the first you've heard of it, then you have'nt been listening carefully! :D

i've got 3 things to say about CDCheck:
USE IT! USE IT! USE IT!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:37 pm

glock20rocks wrote:And why is THIS the first I'm hearing of this program? :)

Like dodecahedron said... :wink:

He's been (rightfully) advocating this program for quite some time.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby glock20rocks on Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:43 pm

OK, then I'm just not paying attention. Opps :oops:

Won't happen again :)
glock20rocks

Postby UALOneKPlus on Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:14 pm

Thanks again to everyone, especially cfitz for the invaluable links :D

The one unreadable sector was the last sector - which I read from another post that is normal. So far so good.

I'm installing the CD Check utility now and testing it out!
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Return to Rants n' Raves