Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Does anyone know what would make the cdr drive stick close

Burn baby burn!

Does anyone know what would make the cdr drive stick close

Postby TheOverClocker on Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:23 pm

The only way to get it open after inserting a Cd-rom is to eject from My Computer. I cant use the button to make the tray come out. Anyone have any suggestions. It only seems to lock audio cd's in the drive
Last edited by TheOverClocker on Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOverClocker
CD-RW Thug

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:26 pm

Is the drive still under warranty? If so, I would trying returning it for a new one.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby TheOverClocker on Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:42 pm

Not a friggin gain this is the second drive i have recieved so far and to RMA this one. Oh boy, looks like it isnt for me to have a cd- burner. It only does this with audio cd's and not regular data cd's
TheOverClocker
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:56 pm

Is there any chance you have some program running (or that auto-runs when a CD is inserted) that recognizes audio CDs and starts doing something with them in the background? It is possible, if I read the mmc command specifications correctly, for software to prevent a disc from being unloaded (via the PREVENT ALLOW MEDIUM REMOVAL command). So maybe some background process that only applies to audio CDs is running, recognizing the audio CD, and locking it in the drive as part of its processing.

Check and see what all process are running on your system when you have a audio CD in.

It may also be that some software you are using is locking the CD in but failing to unlock it. Try to just put the CD in and then eject it a minute later without running any programs (including auto-run/auto-play programs).

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby UALOneKPlus on Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:26 pm

It might help if you tell us what set up you have - brand of CDRW drive, OS, etc...

If I recall, DirectCD seems to lock a CDRW in the drive until you unlock it...
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby TheOverClocker on Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:35 pm

I found the problem I have upgraded to the T504 firmware when i wnet back to 503 the problem solved itself. I guess it is a bug in the firmware that locks the drive unless something else is happening that i am not aware of. I checked to make sure that nothing else was using the Burner and possibly locking the drive so I concluded that it was the firmware
TheOverClocker
CD-RW Thug

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives